Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

QuadCore VS Dual, Multiple OS's Test. Post Your Results Please

I ran the mission aswell and took screenshots with various resolutions but same settings as topic starter:

1152*864: (I forgot to tick the 'include fps in screenshot' option. It was @ 43 fps.)

arma2%201152%20864.jpg

1680*1050:

arma2%201680%201050.jpg

1920*1080:

arma2%201920%201080.jpg

And again 1920*1080, but the settings I use: everything on high except AA turned off:

arma2%201920%201080%20very%20high%20no%20AA.jpg

As you can see, my cpu's and gpu's arent doing much, and my fps only changes by less than 15% even though the resolution is more than twice as high and all settings are all maxed out except AA and viewdistance (forgot i left it at 1000m).

So fps is probably limited by something else. Memory bandwidth maybe? Memory timings? Cpu <-> gpu bandwidth? We'd have to test it somehow by OCing or Downclocking. It might be interesting to find out what it is.

Well, looks like the your AMD and dual ATI beats both my intel rigs. What is that prog your running that shows the % of load on your components?

Hows your online coop performance?

Cheers for adding to the thread. ;)

Some more info about my first post. I tried running without SLI enabled and I got even less FPS, which surprised the hell out of me. It went down by about 10 FPS. Which makes comparing my oc quad rig to the single card Dual core even more odd. I dunno, trouble shooting Arma2 makes me dizzy :D.

I might try taking the 2 9800s out of my Quad PC and putting the GTS250 from the Dual in and see what FPS I get. It should be identical, but it looks like swapping over the GPUS and CPUs between both rigs is the only way I'm going to find what is happening here. pita

Edited by -=seany=-

Here are my results at different resolutions, using the settings specified in the first post. My rig is in my signature, with the exception of the operating system - Windows 7 Professional (Build 7600) was used here. Catalyst 9.8 drivers were used for the video card. ArmA2 Beta Build 1.03.58834.

1152x864:

1152x864.jpg

1680x1050:

1680x1050.jpg

1900x1200:

1900x1200.jpg

1900x1200 (Catalyst AI disabled):

1900x1200-noCF.jpg

Some conclusions:

- Disabling Catalyst AI disables the Crossfire (and other ArmA2 optimizations in the ATI driver). Performance remains roughly the same at least in this particular scene with these particular settings, so no advantage from CF setup.

- No difference (again in this particular scene) from going to 1680x1050 to 1900x1200.

And btw. I don't think this test mission is very good for measuring CPU performance as there is no AI present. But still even this scene seems to be somehow CPU limited at least with my CPU since there is no difference from going from 1680x1050 to 1900x1200.

you are Vysnc limited? If i look up in the ski with XP64 at seanys settings/rez, i see 324fps. For the test i get 88fps, if i look around not moving i find a 70fps at the smoke stack. If i use some of kjus mods and others, i get 90s/100+.

specs; i7965@3.8z, 6Gb, 2x4870x2's. If i turn off a card it half's my frames more or less.

Edited by kklownboy

admin remove this plz

Edited by GLeek

Wow kklownboy, that is one monsterous rig! :D

To answer your questions -=seany=-, I use ATI Tray Tools v1.6.9.1386. It has an OSD function that lets you show all kinds of info on screen dusring games like temps, usage%, clocks, fans, memory used (by the game), fps, all kinds of voltages, etc..

I never play coop or ctf as I find it boring and repetitive. I prefer the Hold gametype and it runs great.

I find it very puzzling why both my cpu's and gpu's arent doing much. Something is limiting them! My fps hardly ever dips too. I get very smooth gameplay, just average fps no matter what settings. Anyone a clue? :confused:

Vsync is off btw, to reduce mouselag.

you are Vysnc limited? If i look up in the ski with XP64 at seanys settings/rez, i see 324fps. For the test i get 88fps, if i look around not moving i find a 70fps at the smoke stack. If i use some of kjus mods and others, i get 90s/100+.

About the same here. I can hit 90 on the silo's and about 330ish looking into the sky. Didn't check the smokestack though.

Edited by ICE-Raver

you are Vysnc limited?

Yes, VSYNC is on because I didn't have ATI Tray Tools installed and not sure if it even works in Windows 7. I've read that there might be a problem because 7 requires signed drivers.

I find it very puzzling why both my cpu's and gpu's arent doing much. Something is limiting them! My fps hardly ever dips too. I get very smooth gameplay, just average fps no matter what settings. Anyone a clue? :confused:

Vsync is off btw, to reduce mouselag.

dont put to much into the "usage" read out.