Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Any interest in this?

{Taken from Wright's original post to add a poll}

I just finished my last final and was thinking about making some sound addon revisions this week, but I'd like to gauge some interest first.  

To me, the one major flaw in Satchel's addon is the difficulty in editing it.  I've changed quite a few of the sounds since I got his addon, but it was difficult to figure out and you need a variety of software to achieve success.  I would also like to see the ability added to change more of the in-game sounds (i.e. thunder, etc) and add some more variety to existing sounds (i.e. running over a sandbag won't sounds like shelling a house.)  I could make it easy to edit, so that you made a Sounds folder in your ofp directory and could add and subtract wav files from various sound packs at will, with a well documented file association chart.

I imagine this would help some people out,  but I'm trying to figure out how much interest there is in such an ability.  Are most of you guys happy with Satchel's sounds, or would you be interested in swapping some of them out?  Let me know what you guys think and if you would be interested, I don't want to confuse people by putting out too many types of sound addons.

mmm... how do I say this...

Your a talented guy, there are many areas of OFP you could easily flaunt your skills. IMHO swapping/changing the original config, for ANY reason is a bad idea. Why? Well for one you can bet your booty you'll get booted from most of the 'good' servers out there when you try and play on-line because everyone will swear your cheating when ya log-on and it says:

"XXX is using modified config file"

...and NO does not mean he/she is simply using a different Version of OFP, because if that IS the case it will say so:

"XXX is using modified config file v1.45"

But alas I do understand on-line is not for everyone ( 2 scary:). I'd just hate to good see good talent wasted...

It's actually quite easy to mod satchel's sound pack....there is the config.cpp just sitting there and it is just a question of going in there and replacing a few names, then using stuffpbo....I did this because I thought the gun sounds were a bit shit....sounds like someone striking a match for most of the weapons sad.gif which does not sound so great on my subwoofer, so I changed em to my favourites from other games biggrin.gif

with new sounds, its like a whole new game

why not make an .exe file where people can put in their wave files etc? And the program encrypt the wavefiles itself and adds them to ofp?

I've been wondering why Satchel didn't use this method for his soundmod:

Simply make an addon file that only patches the sound description lines on the existing classes and not touching anything else (especially, I chose not to use the sound pack because it changed other things than just sounds).

This way the addon is also easy to remove, and future updates of OFP will not hurt the sounds, nor will the sounds hurt them.

I agree that it can be refreshing with new sounds in the game from time to time - like a new addon weapon should have a new sound to it. Also, the oil barrel has the same destruction sound as a house biggrin.gif Such things would be nice to see other versions for.

But I think it's important to keep it clean and bugfree. Personally, I don't find new sounds so important that I wanna risk reinstalling stuff because of it.

Espectro,

that is an excellent idea, but unfortunately I lack the programming skills to create such a program.

Gimbal,

What you suggest is interesting, but in this case wouldn't all map makers have to add the addon to their levels in order for it to take affect? Then if people didn't have the addon they wouldn't be able to play the level.

CarolCray,

I agree with you that editing the main config should be avoided when possible, but so far I have been unable to come up with an alternate solution. My discussions with BIS indicate that they don't have the time right now to make it possible otherwise, but I am hoping that we can find a way. My perrogitive is that sounds are important enough to risk config alterations. I play much more multiplayer then I do single player, so my priority here is for mp use. I think that if we make the configs completely compatible, then there won't be a big problem with booting unless you are blatently surviving blasts, being an ass, etc. Eventually BIS should get their "digital config signatures" going and then there won't be any more such messages. If there is a consensus here that I should wait until this happens to release more updates, then so be it, but you can "bet your booty" that I will be using custom sounds in mp until then.

I tried Dynamic Range, and I did like the new sounds...

however...

The problem with modifying the sounds is that they can be an important aspect of some missions, and by changing them you can affect the way a mission plays. The AI does hear and react to sounds. Mission designers may use sounds in many ways, background noises, unit detection..etc. By changeing the normal game sounds (particularly the levels) it could throw off the flow or even just the atmosphere of a mission.

I think using new sounds in new unit add-ons is great, but changing the normal sounds can be unpredictable.

Just a thought.

actuly what i would like to see is if someone could make a really good and reilistic sound mod for evyething, right down to the T and then submit all the sound files to BIS for them to put in the next patch so no one woudl have to worry about when the next update comes will the sound file still wrok and the "xxxxxxx uses modified confige file" i am shure if you have a very good sound scheam that BIS would inculde it into the next patch. after all look how much there already doing to this game if someone could take all the sounds and put it in the same format as the game and send it to them it shouldnt be hard for BIS to take the sounds and assine them to which object but thats what i think i dont know much about making a game and such but this is just a idea i have

I wish that BIS simply took the best of Satchels sounds and made them part of an official addon. The rifle sounds I admit are not the best. Also he should have left the 5 ton truck sounds alone as he only made them sound worse. The BIS 5ton engine sound was actually quite close to the real thing which I'm very familiar with after riding in them for 8 years.

However the machine gun sounds, the medic sounds, the aircraft sounds, THE HELICOPTER SOUNDS!!!, THE TANK SOUNDS, and the explosion sounds are just VASTLY VASTLY VASTLY better then the ones that come with the game. PLEASE BIS PLEASE incorporate some of Satchels sounds into the game as an official update!!!!!!

Chris G.

aka- Miles Teg<GD>

Sathchel I know that u read this forum, so I am gonna tell u: why dont u contact bis and work with them to make new sound with a new patch, coould be with resistance. Even if they dont pay u, u'll get recoignissance from the opf community biggrin.gif .

Bis can only use sounds that they have the legal rights or permission to use, unless Satchel specifically owns the rights to all the sounds he's used and then signs over permission of use to Bis they can't use them without risking a lawsuit smile.gif