Sign in to follow this  
evilc1

MP Unplayable - "No data received for 10 seconds", yellow / red chain, high desynch

I am at my wits end here. I really want to like this game, I really do, it has such great potential.

But I just can't play multiplayer.

When connecting to a server, it's fine when I choose squad etc, it downloads the mission file if it needs it (Albeit in pauses) but once you click OK it all goes wrong.

After a brief downloading static image, I get a "Receiving..." overlay pop up.

Then I start to get the chains. Yellow and red, broken or not broken.

Sometimes I get in. It can take literally 3 minutes to get in-game and playing. But then, usually I get high desync / low bandwidth figures and chains. Even if my desync is OK I normally see players pinging around all over the place.

This has happened all versions, I have not been able to play properly since launch.

I have had some occaisional success with setting my router (A draytek vigor 2800) to "DMZ Host" - thereby forwarding all traffic to my PC. Though obviously as I am posting this it doesn't seem to cure it 100%. Sometimes it seems to make no difference at all.

I have another PC here as well and have tried that, same deal - so I doubt it is the PC. It could be my connection I suppose, but I doubt it - I can download at 6meg fine and I get sub 20ms pings to servers. I am not using wifi, it's all wired. Many other games are fine.

Since 1.03, I have had many CTDs once I am in so this has made testing even harder.

If I had to make a guess, I would say there is still an issue with NAT.

I have sunk many hours into trying to play this game so far, and I am about ready to quit. Are many other people getting stuff like this?

All I could suggest is to manually forward the Arma 2 ports (can't remember what they are) as oppose to running a DMZ. I know that several services have problems with DMZ's, not sure about Arma 2 but I know Steam has an issue with it.

Also, how many different servers have you tried to connect to? A lot of servers don't configure their dedicated host files correctly and as such you end up with desync issues.

Another possible problem is security between your router and the server. Some ISP's (especially corporate based ones) have a tendancy to screen any packets that they don't recognise. This slows down the transfer of certain data and can lead to desync issues, although it's not too likely.

Last thing I'd suggest is that you could attempt to set up static NAT (as oppose to dynamic NAT) on your router if you can.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

One thing I forgot to add.

Some people get desync issues caused by VoN ( I used to get lag myself whenever someone talked on VoN), but I'm not sure if there's a way to disable it or if it has to be done at the server end.

If you know you tried all networking solutions try going in options and disabling anti-aliasing and Anisotropic filtering. It worked for me to get online, for some reason I can play offline with them on but not online...

All I could suggest is to manually forward the Arma 2 ports (can't remember what they are) as oppose to running a DMZ. I know that several services have problems with DMZ's, not sure about Arma 2 but I know Steam has an issue with it.

Last thing I'd suggest is that you could attempt to set up static NAT (as oppose to dynamic NAT) on your router if you can.

Hmm, we are maybe talking at cross terms here... Surely, when using private IPs NATed behind one public IP, if you set DMZ on the router, you forward all incoming ports to the router's IP to one of the internal private IPs. How is that different to forwarding the ports or using static NAT?
Also, how many different servers have you tried to connect to? A lot of servers don't configure their dedicated host files correctly and as such you end up with desync issues.

Many. But mainly the [RIP] one running Domination. The server is often full of people playing, so I guess it is just something it doesn't like about my router or connection.

In a proper scenario a DMZ is setup through 2 devices, a single router does this in a different fashion that emulates a DMZ through several different security protocols. This is fine for most cases but some services have issues with it, as it's effectively not forwarding all traffic like a normal DMZ but routing specific traffic assigned to the host specified as the DMZ host.

Of course, an alternate method is to try disabling the firewall and the router and running a single computer off the global IP. If you still have issues then you know it's not the router.

Of course, an alternate method is to try disabling the firewall and the router and running a single computer off the global IP. If you still have issues then you know it's not the router.

Am in the UK, cannot do this without a DSL modem in my PC. We use PPPoA here, not PPPoE.

Same problem here but when I opened all three UDP ports (2302,2303 and 2305 I think?) the game is playable even on 10/1MB line with 8-10 players involved and non-dedicated host.

Same problem here, updated and everything. It is extremely frustrating. Tested all my ports, they're open...

I can't figure this out.

Tried the AA thing another suggested here and nothing happened.

Is there any solution to this?

I've reinstalled and tried the beta patches, nothing happens here.

I'm constantly stuck on receiving data overlay, can see chat but remain in server lobby...

My firewall is closed, windows firewall allowing connections... all recent updates.

Specs

Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 @ 3.6Ghz

4 gb ddr2 @ 1066

EVGA 780i FTW mobo (nvidia teaming is off, nvidia firewall is off)

Auzentech X-plosion Cinema

BFG 280 GTX

Windows XP64 bit edition (all recent updates)

Edited by Noxious

what speed is your connection?

I had exact same issues when my ISP capped me to 64kbs

it only works well for me on higher speed conn

for testing turn off any virus/spyware also

what speed is your connection?

I had exact same issues when my ISP capped me to 64kbs

it only works well for me on higher speed conn

for testing turn off any virus/spyware also

Around a 6mbit connection.

800 KBps down

100 KBps up

Edited by Noxious

yeah well its not slow then...:)

I dont know how the connection speed etc is handled in A2, I have not checked.

I have also been barred from other games servers for having my client speed set too high as server was capped. eg AA2

Do any server admins know if that is a possibilty?

I dont have any problems but my friend has problems when HOSTING a coop campaign.

When he hosts the game attempts to upload huge amounts of data from him to me the client. This causes me and him to lag/desync.

He has a 780i motherboard, maybe its an incompatibility with the nfroce network chipset?

I had a similar problem, where I got constant desync and my bandwidth with the server would never go above 100-120.

The fault was with my router and its DOS attack protection. Closing the UDP flood protection solved it.

Also, in my router when the problem occurred it reported in its log that a UDP flood has been detected in various IPs with the ports used in ArmA2.

It's a difficult problem to diagnose remotely. Since you are successfully connecting to the server and some of the mission file is downloaded before the problem occurs, it doesn't sound like a NAT problem. The symptoms of NAT problems are usually different (i.e. empty server list, unable to connect to servers etc.).

It's not going to be easy to find the source of the problem, but there are several things you could try:

1. Make sure all antivirus software is off before starting Arma2.

2. Make sure any software firewalls (including the Windows firewall) are off.

3. See if there are updated drivers for your network card.

4. Try deactivating QoS on your network card.

5. Try a different network card. (A cheap €10 one should be fine.) If you are using an onboard network port, make sure to deactivate it in the BIOS before using the new one.

Your Router may also be the source of the problem. I experienced this a few years ago when a friend of mine couldn't play BF2142 online with his cheap Zyxel router (The WiFi connection kept crapping out after 5-20 minutes of playing. Normal downloads worked fine.). He went out and bought a Linksys router and the problem disappeared.

That's pretty much all I got. :)