Sign in to follow this  
Wachtmeester

Creating new maps

Hi all,

i'm back from a long time ago (OFP that is). In the past I created the Leusderheide island and several addons for LLW. Now with ArmA 2 I'd like to start modding again, especially since the new tools are released today.

I want to start with island's again, but I'm kind of stuck right now. I've read every tutorial there is at the moment but I can't get a new terrain from a picture in Visitor 3 (ArmA 2 version) using the pbl-file. I always get the message 'operation failed'.

All the tools and ArmA 2 patch 1.03 are correctly installed so that shouldn't be the problem. Any help is very much appreciated!

thnx in advance

nobody? Strangely, i got the files from Allie's tutorial on OFPEC working. But when I created my own grayscale heightmap, precisely following the tutorial I still can't get it in Visitor.

Anybody an idea? All help is greatly appreciated since i'm likely to miss something, but I don't see what it is....

have you grey scaled it ,saved in 16 bit ,png it,plus check your pbl map name, i can get layers in visitor on my map ,but i cant get it to run in arma 2,theres no map name at the start,have you got configs that work for arma 2 maps ?.............thanks

well not too *much world editors around here.

did you use the search with pbl and checked the hits?

ofpec/plank might be one guy to know.

Edited by kju

I got the Sample Map for ArmA running in ArmA 2. On friday im goin to upload my project folder with some explanations what i have changed, how to setup the editor and how you can use all the new objects from ArmA 2 in the editor.

I used a 16-bit png at 4096x4096 for a 4096x4096 terrain grid size (Make sure the png is a multiple of 2 ie... 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096...). The image started of in Photoshop as a greyscale 8-bit png I think, then imported into Wilbur (as Surface png file) and saved as 16-bit in P:\ drive. Then make the .pbl file in the P:\ drive in same folder as png:

Check the Terrain.pbl file:

class cfg
{
PNGfilename="Terrain.png";  <-- Make sure this is same name as png file
squareSize=10; <-- Make sure same size as "Terrain cell size" in Visitor
originX=0;
originY=0;
minHeight=0; <-- Adjust as needs
maxHeight=400; <-- Adjust as needs
};

Then import into Visitor.

Cant think of anything else.

I got the Sample Map for ArmA running in ArmA 2. On friday im goin to upload my project folder with some explanations what i have changed, how to setup the editor and how you can use all the new objects from ArmA 2 in the editor.

Have you uploaded it already? I still cant get Textures on the map. Importing Sat/Mask process proceeds meanwhile without a crash but even without textures..:mad::mad:

Finally got it. It wasn't the png file but a mismatch between the pbl and png file. The terrain I want to create is relatively flat, max height is 60 meters so I set the height range in the pbl file from 0 to 65 meters. Apparently there where more then 65 'gray' colors in the png file so Visitor couldn't create the correct heights when I tried to import the file. Problem solved :)

I used a height range from 0 to 250 meters and corrected the height afterwards in Visitor and with the erosion tool.

Thanks all for the help so far!

Yeah, try to finish up the correct height since after you put all the objects on its gets laggy as hell ;) I had to change the height on an almost already for release map and it took me days then to correct all the bridge heights and recheck all of the houses (I use only open ones, not like BIS *wink*) ;)

Good luck, if you need anything let us know!