Sign in to follow this  
bangtail

Sound broken by 1.03?

I'm running an X-Fi ExtremeGamer and not getting any sound problems. Considering that and the fact that it seems cross platform and card for those affected then it's gotta be data corruption. I wouldn't think data corruption would do this unless it was the sound engine that became corrupt and as such the game is handling sound wrong.

It needs fixing quickly, the click (thats a thump on my subwoofer) could be dangerous to speakers at high volumes.

HI, I managed to fix that terrible sound.:bounce3:. Lets see if this applies to anyone else......

My system specis as follows:

Intel Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz

Gigabyte X38-DS5

Saphire 4870x2 -------------->Catalyst 9.7

Creative X-FI XtremeMusic---->Driver ver. 2.18.0013

4 x 2GB OCZ @1066

SSD Intel X25-M 80GB

Gigabyte Odin 1200W

Windows7 x64 Ultimate

Catalyst 9.7 installed HDMI audio driver for my 4870x2. So I dissabled the in DEVICE MANAGER the ATI High Definition Audio Device, started ARMA 2 and boala...... PERFECT SOUND:bounce3:

btw....ArmA 2 version 1.03

Hope this helps.

HI, I managed to fix that terrible sound.:bounce3:. Lets see if this applies to anyone else......

My system specis as follows:

Intel Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz

Gigabyte X38-DS5

Saphire 4870x2 -------------->Catalyst 9.7

Creative X-FI XtremeMusic---->Driver ver. 2.18.0013

4 x 2GB OCZ @1066

SSD Intel X25-M 80GB

Gigabyte Odin 1200W

Windows7 x64 Ultimate

Catalyst 9.7 installed HDMI audio driver for my 4870x2. So I dissabled the in DEVICE MANAGER the ATI High Definition Audio Device, started ARMA 2 and boala...... PERFECT SOUND:bounce3:

btw....ArmA 2 version 1.03

Hope this helps.

I've always ATI HDMI Audio disabled and still have the problem.

I dont have an ATI videocard and i dont have any software/drivers that looks like ATI High definition audio device.

I have same issue but with a Asus Xonar DX.

Really? I don't have static or stutter with the Xonar DX. However the sound does cut out when there is too many being played at once, and that was happening in the last patch too. For example dropping a load of helo rockets on a target.

Xonar is a rock solid high quality card btw for anyone using Creative that is looking for a switch. I can hear stuff that I just couldn't pick out before with an Audigy.

yeah I noticed some distortion in automatic weapons a few times but nothing special. I am using vopsound by the way.

I have creative X-fi notebook latest driver,win7 7264,Arma2 v1.03 unplayable.Creative X-fi pci-e latest driver,win7 7264,Arma2 v1.03 unplayable.Vista is fine...

I can confirm that, for me, those drivers, as well as the older CD drivers fix my issue.

Wow nice ! Damn my luck i guess then since all the mentioned options/repairs/tweaks etc didnt do anything for me.

I found that enabling both EAX and HW sound in arma2.cfg fixed it for a friend of mine using onboard sound (odd considering it does not have EAX).

I can confirm that, for me, those drivers, as well as the older CD drivers fix my issue.

Good Call bud, I hadn't thought of those :)

Going to give them a whirl now.

Eth

I did before changing drivers, did nothing for me. BUt sure, it's worth a try if it fixes things for some people!

Edited by Dead3yez

It's definitely better in Win 7 than the other drivers I tried but there are still some problems.

I'm going to try it under XP and see if it helps there.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Well, now the sound seems to be fine through headphones but not through speakers.

The fun never ends.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I'd think it'd be a problem with lower quality speakers as that would explain the distortion (too high frequencies) but I'm not sure about the crack sound, unless the speakers aren't handling it and it's coming through as a spike

I'd think it'd be a problem with lower quality speakers as that would explain the distortion (too high frequencies) but I'm not sure about the crack sound, unless the speakers aren't handling it and it's coming through as a spike

At least in my case, my speakers are anything but low quality.

There is definitely a problem here and I had never had it before 1.03 so it follows that whatever is causing this is directly related to 1.03.

Unfortunately, after a half hour of flawless play using my Sennheisers, it started again (Using Daniel Ks).

I've wasted a day tinkering and that's plenty AFAIAC.

I'll check in from time to time to see if anything has been sorted.

Cheers,

Eth

I haven't noticed anyone mention that they're using the Steam version so it looks like it's corruption in the audio samples in the normal patch. In all likelyhood the samples are hitting a pitch that's beyond what the speakers/sound card is meant to process, hence why lowering the sound works because it's the same effect that you get when you turn the volume too high on your stereo.

Steam, at least for me, is unaffected I think largely due to the way it patches (forces you to download the whole client again) So while updating the files the normal version must either be getting damaged, or the patch doesn't have sufficient permission to alter your audio files in game and you've ended up with the game trying to reference the wrong audio sections.

Any which way, hopefully it's hotfixed soon, but in the mean time I would suggest that anyone wishing to play keeps their volume lower than usual and turn off/unplug your sub-woofer if you have one.

I haven't noticed anyone mention that they're using the Steam version so it looks like it's corruption in the audio samples in the normal patch. In all likelyhood the samples are hitting a pitch that's beyond what the speakers/sound card is meant to process, hence why lowering the sound works because it's the same effect that you get when you turn the volume too high on your stereo.

Steam, at least for me, is unaffected I think largely due to the way it patches (forces you to download the whole client again) So while updating the files the normal version must either be getting damaged, or the patch doesn't have sufficient permission to alter your audio files in game and you've ended up with the game trying to reference the wrong audio sections.

Any which way, hopefully it's hotfixed soon, but in the mean time I would suggest that anyone wishing to play keeps their volume lower than usual and turn off/unplug your sub-woofer if you have one.

One thing I haven't done yet is reinstall the whole game. I might give it a try later (if I can be bothered).

Eth

have tried 1.03 on german, and 505, on xp64,v64,rc7, sounds great... no issues yet...using fatality 64mb PCI card....So its a odd issue.

Reinstalled in both XP and Win7.

No more sound problem :)

Eth

So the likely issue is a conflict between 1.02 and 1.03, meaning a fresh install and patch directly to 1.03 avoids the conflict. Hence why Steam wasn't affected (steam forces you to redownload the whole client on 1.03)

Static and distortion here to in single player campaign

Using the sound card that came with my MOBO. Did not have the problem with 1.02.. prolly cause I couldn't even get to this stage in the campaign.

Still it's only happened once & the patch has made the game "playable" so I'm not complaining!