Sign in to follow this  
JDog

boat chase

Anyone have any expert advice on the following?

I'm trying to get russians in a boat to follow and shoot at marine in a boat. Even if I attach the soldiers to it (so they can shoot)... they driver still decides to go to the shore and get out so he can shoot too, even if I set him to careless.

So it looks like its either set to careless and have them follow waypoints and HOPE they stay on the player's tail in doing so, and not fire a single shot at the player...

Or have them keep pissing me off and jumping out at the shore until I decide to abandon this idea.

while {true} do

{

dumbStupidAI doMove (getPos player);

sleep 1;

};

I would think code like that would do her? Might have to play with how long you sleep.

What would the sleep in there accomplish?

And no I doubt it. I had tried doMove, doFollow, reveal, doWatch, doTarget, doFire... no matter what, the driver wants his share of the fun. I don't understand why but even when the driver is in a seperate group as the gunners, and he is set to careless, he still gets out. Grr! BI should've just made it possible to fire from the boats in the first place.

What would the sleep in there accomplish?

Without sleep you'd issue a move command like every millisecond, lol.

I dont think careless is good if you want them to do the commands though. set them to combat mode and make them go to the player... The gunner should open fire. If he knows how to shoot.

Just tried. Don't work :( Gonna have to scrap this idea I think.

Doesn't work with this either:

unit disableAI "MOVE";

Bah this game is limiting my mission ending :(

Edited by JDog

That's still a hot idea! I've done something similar in the sense that I disabled the AI from ever attacking me. The USMC AAV has that ride on top script to which I had the idea for getting driven into an enemy base via the enemy's own carelessness. By setting the AI to Careless and disabling autotarget, target and the ability for the squad leader to order attack, the AI simply boarded the AVV without ever acknowledging my 4 man team lying on top of the APC and drove me to whatever way point I set after that. I know you said you grouped the captain of the boat separately but perhaps adding all of these commands to his init will make him never fire. Also, how are you making him follow them? Maybe, just maybe, if you instead group the driver of the enemy boat with the allied team he will simply try to stay in toe while the enemy occupants of the boat will fire. Seems ghetto but if it works, it works. I'll go give those ideas a shot right now. Oh, and thanks for the Chinook water extract mission, I love it!

I would imagine that if I grouped the driver to the player or another friendly...

1) His gunners would fire on him

2) He would shout "blue on blue!" when he died.

What if you spawned an unarmed russian soldier and put him to moveindriver into an empty russian boat, would he then still try and get out?

Use an empty RHIB boat put your men in this instead of russian PBX and then machinegunner will shoot the other guy in boat?.Call the RHIB boat and in your leaders init put this and your squad will be inside it at start,GRP1 being the leaders name.

GRP1 = Group this; {_x moveincargo boat} ForEach units group this;

Edited by doc_no1

I can make them follow me around if I group the driver with me but you are correct, the other soldiers hate him and want to murder him.

Doc... I don't want MY guys to fire. I want the russians to chase and fire AT me. Trying to see if I can get it to work with a russian chopper instead but even the chopper refuses to shoot until he's like within 50 feet, and 1/5 times will try to headbutt me... result in me dying and him sinking. Really disappoints sometimes how the AI is just retarded and doesn't do what you tell them to, ruining possibly awesome things :(

Put the enemy in a RHIB boat etc like what i said,they should fire on you.

Then how do I explain the russians having an RHIB!!!! lol... BAH this is dumb. Really wish there was a disableAI "THINK" command so it does absolutely nothing but what you tell it to.

I feel your pain JDog. Is there a way to make the group not fire at all and simply give doFire commands to the gunner?

Just tried. Don't work :( Gonna have to scrap this idea I think.

Doesn't work with this either:

unit disableAI "MOVE";

Bah this game is limiting my mission ending :(

Wouldn't that stop the drivers ability to pilot the boat"

Try;

unit disableAI "Autotarget"

or if that doesnt work you could try on the driver;

groupName setCombatMode "BLUE"

You would have to put the boat driver in a seperate group to the passengers

I've tried most combinations of things, and with the driver ungrouped. Now I've been trying with a chopper instead... and for some reason, even with a doStop or a this stop true... and MOVE and AUTOTARGET disabled... it still decides to run away when it detects a missile locked onto it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR im about to give up and just change the ending to somethin else.