Sign in to follow this  
Windexglow

So a humvee killed me at 400feet..

I was in a su-25, minding my own business, shooting off an occasional r-74 missile towards US humvees when out of the blue, I get killed by one.

Not by machine gun fire or anything, but by a flying humvee. When the r-74's hit the humvee, they quite literally sprang up through the air several hundred feet..I tried it twice, and both times it worked.

So are the r-74's really strong, or just something BI put off till later?

The humvees were in a random forest road if it matters.

(using GotGame US release, patched to most recent patch 1.2 hotfix I believe)

lol, a feature I'm sure...

I had an AH1 fire a rocket at a car from half a mile away. The car shot at least 100 yards in the air, sailed back to earth and then bounced away, like a slow motion rubber ball...boing, boing, boing, boing...

No physics engine FTW! Now really, ArmA should use Havok or PhysX

No physics engine FTW! Now really, ArmA should use Havok or PhysX

No physics? What are you on about? What moved the humvee? There's physics, just not modeled to the degree you like (and to a degree that allows out of range movement such as described above)

Now think past your statement to what including one of these engines into Arma II would do performance wise. If they could get this onto another core that may change the issue, but then the minimum spec goes from a 2 core to at least 3? The market is moving there, but not yet.

Edited by Scrub

I was in a su-25, minding my own business, shooting off an occasional r-74 missile towards US humvees when out of the blue, I get killed by one.

Not by machine gun fire or anything, but by a flying humvee. When the r-74's hit the humvee, they quite literally sprang up through the air several hundred feet..I tried it twice, and both times it worked.

So are the r-74's really strong, or just something BI put off till later?

The humvees were in a random forest road if it matters.

(using GotGame US release, patched to most recent patch 1.2 hotfix I believe)

Feature. The USMC recently fielded a new system on their humvees that does exactly this. That'll teach those damn Russian pilots who shoot up our humvees.

:j:

I think it was mentioned a few times in interviews that a detailed physic would have a too big performance impact.

If thats true or not i dunno but surely it aint easy to make a good physic for a game as big as ArmA2

Anyway, I don't think we need very complex physics in ArmA. However, if they implemented a really thorough destruction model like in Best Way's GEM engine (Men of War) without causing too much of a performance hit (and getting it to work with AI) than I would probably jizz my pants... and ArmA 2 would no doubt be #the #1 PC game of the year.

But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I think the reason why we see this behaviour is that the collision detection system checks for a collision every once in a while, and there's no damping for geometry collision (havine a car on its tyres or a tank on its tracks uses a different system)... so the geo of the car may already be clipping through the geo of the ground, and so the engine decides to deliver a force to the car. The collision system works for the most part, it's just in some extreme situations like a car wreck falling out of orbit and hitting the ground at high velocities where it breaks down like that... or if the object is a motorcycle for some reason.

The engine also seems to put a force on an object based on the damage and maybe other characteristics of a weapon that hits it. It's just that instead of flying into the outer atmosphere, the humvee in real life would be torn apart, and the force would be absorbed that way instead of in uniform kinetic movement.

I'm no programmer, that's just the sense I get from setting up models and playing these games from the OFP days until now.

Edited by Max Power

That would be my guess too, Max. Sometimes, it would be better if catastrophic impact replaced the vehicle (deleted it) with a particle and noise effect.

I think the reason why we see this behaviour is that the collision detection system checks for a collision every once in a while, and there's no damping for geometry collision (havine a car on its tyres or a tank on its tracks uses a different system)... so the geo of the car may already be clipping through the geo of the ground, and so the engine decides to deliver a force to the car. The collision system works for the most part, it's just in some extreme situations like a car wreck falling out of orbit and hitting the ground at high velocities where it breaks down like that... or if the object is a motorcycle for some reason.

The engine also seems to put a force on an object based on the damage and maybe other characteristics of a weapon that hits it. It's just that instead of flying into the outer atmosphere, the humvee in real life would be torn apart, and the force would be absorbed that way instead of in uniform kinetic movement.

I'm no programmer, that's just the sense I get from setting up models and playing these games from the OFP days until now.

It could be caused by optimizations on the digit count for physics - Why render something to the thousandth place when it's 400 meters away? This is why posters on buildings flicker constantly when viewed a distance away.

Chances are the humvee's destroyed alternation appears partly below ground (and pushed further below it due to optimizations) - the ground pushes this back out with extreme force, and wallah.

The poster is not an actual part of the building, no?

Even if it is, it makes little sense to render a vertice/polygon 512.23852 units away from the camera - 512.23 would work fine in that case.

Edited by Windexglow

The poster is not an actual part of the building, no?

Depends. Some are just textures on the building yes. If they disappear from far away it's because the lower res LODs on the building don't have them in their texture. In Sahrani (I haven't seen this yet on Chernarus though) sometimes billboards (seperate objects) were just placed alongside building walls, but that led to oddities when for example the building was destroyed and the billboard was left just floating there.