Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Detected By Issue

On my map right now the BLUFOR units are as follows:

T-72

My Squad

2 Teams set up far away

2 Su-25s

The mission is to attack a town. Around this town I have a trigger that says if BLUFOR detected by OPFOR then switch and it also checks a variable that sets off another trigger that warns me (for testing purposes) that I have been detected.

The problem right now is that when the T-72 is about 175m outside of that trigger area I am told that we were detected and the enemy reacts as such. I initially thought that maybe the Su-25s had wandered into the area but that is not the case. The 2 teams are too far away to get there that quickly and I am behind the T-72.

I have always, since the days of ofp, been under the impression that the unit detected has to be inside the trigger and not the one detecting. I saved my map and cleared it and tested that theory. It seems right. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Sorry that was so long winded.

EDIT: It seems it may be because the tank fired into the area. Does it work like that? Just tested that theory and that doesn't seem to be it either.

I'll add my second problem in here so I don't have to start a new thread.

My Su-25s are set to careless, never fire and have a 3-waypoint cycle pattern until a trigger fires. The trigger hadn't fired yet and they were about 11 km away from their cycle pattern when I tried to find them. Any ideas on how to stop that?

Edited by Jakerod

I remember that detected by trigger has worked like that before. I noticed this same problem with my own mission, and i think that the enemy "detected" me 200m before trigger area because of our HMMWV's engine sound or something, but im not sure.

I think you need to play around with (IF distance ....) and (knowsabout) to determine when the trigger kicks in, need to look into this.

About the SU-25's: How close to eachother those 3 waypoints are? I had similiar problem if they were too close to eachother, because the plane coulnd't make a "clean" turn by following the waypoints and the pattern got messed up somehow

I remember that detected by trigger has worked like that before. I noticed this same problem with my own mission, and i think that the enemy "detected" me 200m before trigger area because of our HMMWV's engine sound or something, but im not sure.

I think you need to play around with (IF distance ....) and (knowsabout) to determine when the trigger kicks in, need to look into this.

About the SU-25's: How close to eachother those 3 waypoints are? I had similiar problem if they were too close to eachother, because the plane coulnd't make a "clean" turn by following the waypoints and the pattern got messed up somehow

I'm sure that they saw the tank and heard it but it shouldn't tick off the trigger still. The tank was not in the trigger it was 175m outside of it. All my tests that I did with friendly outside and enemy inside showed that the friendly unit had to be inside the trigger. I can understand detecting it from 200m away but if it isn't inside the trigger I was under the impression it doesn't matter.

They're close to eachother but they have large completion zones so it shouldn't be an issue. Still though I think 11km off is a bit much.

i tried detected trigger again, and used a hint with it,and damn, again when i was about 200m away (outside) of the trigger zone with HMMWV, the hint kicked in "detected!".

Also another detected test i made. I put empty GRAD artillery vehicle in the map, 5x5 sized trigger above it, sync the trigger with the grad, put the trigger condititions as OPFOR detected by BLUEFOR, and a marker and hint that activates as soon as trigger kicks in, then i place player unit (myself) approximately 150 meter away from it and my backside facing the GRAD and tested it. When i got into the game (my backside still facing the GRAD 150m away) and nothing happened as it shouldnt, but when i turned around and faced the GRAD (that still has the 5x5m sized trigger above it) the marker and hint kicks in.

Doesn't this mean that the triggers size is useless then?

If the condition on the trigger was to fire when the enemy was detected then I don't understand the problem.

The enemy was detected so the trigger fired, even though the tank was still outside the triggers actual area, the condition to fire the trigger was satisfied.

Maybe add 'and enemy in thislist' or somesuch to the trigger condition.

Hoping I didn't miss anything important there.

Planck

The basic problem with AramA is that what one knows they all know at least that's what it feels like. It's also instant knowledge, it would be better if there was a delay for uinits outside shouting range and units without radios or phones shouldn't get to know.

I did a little test with an AI walking directly away from me and used the detected by command, even though I wasn't moving 50% of the time he still spotted me even though I'm sure he never actually looked in my direction.

There were no other AI on the map.

Edited by F2k Sel

As Planck said, only the detected units need to be within the trigger area. It doesn't matter who detects them. You can check in the condition though.

If the condition on the trigger was to fire when the enemy was detected then I don't understand the problem.

The enemy was detected so the trigger fired, even though the tank was still outside the triggers actual area, the condition to fire the trigger was satisfied.

Maybe add 'and enemy in thislist' or somesuch to the trigger condition.

Hoping I didn't miss anything important there.

Planck

I always just got the impression that they had to be within the trigger for it to fire. Sometimes I only want certain areas to have that specific trigger and that makes it a problem now that I don't know what the actual area is. But I can try your way.

Would setting the OPFOR units at start to "CARELESS" make their detection abilities less? Or you could do a distance check to player for every OPFOR unit to set up an "artificial" detection.

im having problems not with detection but triggers activating when ive chosen "OPFOR not present" within a certain radius. The trigger still seems to be activating even if the trigger has OPFOR inside the radius ive set it too. Its quite irritating.