Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

Baucau Airfield, East Timor - Terrain for ArmA 2

hello ochristie.

the concept seems good, but..

I am opening the map in both games, arma1 and vbs2 by loading map in editor, placing a single blufor soldier. and previewing the map.

however I cannot get the map to load in arma1, (1.16, queens gambit, baucau) which results in an instant CTD. which is repeatable 100% of the time.

It does load in vbs2, however at 1 frame every 4-5 seconds, (0.2FPS) and after 15-20 seconds it crashes with an out of memory error. (i have posted this here as you have no thread at the official VBS2 forums)

If you require my crash reports to troubleshoot please PM me and ill send them your way.

with arma 2 the infinite land around the airfield is totally screwing the map too.

(very heavy lag, and the 'infinite' ground was not fully textured, resulting in gray / white triangles all around the airport).

also, the terrain is so flat that i don't know if it's really useful to use such precise heightmap.

After reinstalling my PC and applications, I again attempted to run this map in all three sims,

arma1 and arma2 rpt files are 290,000 lines long just loading the map in editor. both crash to desktop within minutes of placing on unit in the map and hitting preview.

placing a helicopter in the 'flying' position to survey the map results in instant CTD.

Vbs2 faired a little better, but quickly CTD with a similar amount of lines in rpt.

My question is,.. has anyone actually ran this map ?

And to Ochristie. are you looking at fixing this map, or does it become another half finished project for you?

I have saved the RPT files for you to examine, please contact me and i will send them to you.

When I finally get time on my hands, I will update this map and give it a full overhaul, redo the entire MASK hopefuly fix some problems, this should all take, from when I start doing it about 3 weeks ish. For the meantime, I apologize prefusley to the problems that this may be causing on some peoples systems.

Thanks for the reply.

If you need any help locating such errors, as stated i will send you the rpt files.

You still don't have to own ArmA 1. There is the second method that does not require files from ArmA 1. Go to the CAA1 site, it has everything available on it already.

To Simon C and others suggesting CAA1, yeah, a 2Gb+ download is the appropriate answer.. Not everyone has net access with large data allowances, so it may have been a good idea to mention that.

Back OT, as an Aussie, this map sounds like a great oparea to me, but until a standalone version is released, I won't be using it..

Yes, you can. If you have the CAA1 project, then it's playable. Yes it's a 2GB download, but it's ultimately up to you whether you want to DL it or not. :)

This doesn't work for me, even with caa1...it just hangs on "loading" when I try to load the map in the editor. Perhaps it needs to be patched for the 1.05 update? Has anyone been able to get this to work in 1.05?

No it works. It just takes FOREVER to load.

I have the same thing. It takes about 5-7 full minutes to load. Its annoying.

I dont bother with it anymore because loading the map its self is a pain then loading a simple mission even just one player on the map takes minutes to load.

So its not your game. Dont worry.