Sign in to follow this  
moerty-RR-

moving turret turns on engine.

is this a bug or a feature? since i don't know if modern armor requires the engine to turn the turret i was wondering if what we have in game represents reality in any way.

Hi all

I am guessing that Tank turrets can not be moved by hancrank anymore they are just too big and heavy.

Kind Regards walker

If I remember correctly this is an intended feature, in the config file you can change this. In the turret section there is a variable "startEngine = 1". Setting it to 0 would stop the turret from turning the engine on.

I think that modern tanks require the engine running to turn the turret. I wonder if any vehicles do not require the car to be running while turning the turret. I'm pretty sure the LAV25 does. I think the humvee doesn't. I wonder about the brdm.

No they don't require the engine to be running, they have seperate turret power controls that are electric controlled. Keeping in mind it will drain battery power if left on to long with no motor running

No they don't require the engine to be running, they have seperate turret power controls that are electric controlled. Keeping in mind it will drain battery power if left on to long with no motor running

And thus you can find yourself in BIS's shoes. Which is more realistic; able to move the turret without the engine on indefinately, or not being able to move turret at all without the starting the engine. ;)

And don't you go saying "implement a battery system." That's not an option here. :p

I'd venture to say I'd rather have the ability to have the engine off and traverse then engine on for concealment sakes.

I would not want a battery system added in cause there's nothing I hate more then having to watch the volts on the display unit and starting a vehicle every 30 minutes to charge the batteries up.

Few players would ever be slewing around the turret for 30 minutes enough that battery life would become a factor. Hopefully ACE2 removes the startEngine=true for all but the vehicles that actually require it.

Very true, the game style most go for is that of Call of Duty... spawn in, run run run run aim shoot die respawn repeat.

I think it'd be a nice realism factor for optional settings on servers. Those who want to dig-in a defensive or ambush position, scanning the horizon for targets, listening for any audio, watching your volts, fuel and other POL's.

It's kind of a sim factor that in such a extensive indepth game as this you probably wouldn't bother to add, however it'd be more likely to see in a tank sim.

Along those same lines you'll notice BIA didn't take much time to model a vast amount of vehicle cockpits (armor turrets, etc.) just default to gun sights.

that's disappointing, we're essentially hostage to marauding choppers since they can tab-scan and lock on to you immediately, it ruins the dynamics of the game because now choppers have to be either left out or severely neutered in order to have some balance in multiplayer.

I think that modern tanks require the engine running to turn the turret. I wonder if any vehicles do not require the car to be running while turning the turret. I'm pretty sure the LAV25 does. I think the humvee doesn't. I wonder about the brdm.
There are electric driven Turrets since WWII. Nowadays all major MBTs use electric driven Turrets.

No engine needed...but batterie voltage will go down very fast.

To avoid this, most modern MBTs and IFVs have a auxiliary power generator.

This "cool and silent mode" is used for surveillance and reconaissance type missions.

this is first hand info.

unfortunately this is impossible to do im ArmA1&2

Edited by Beagle

There are electric driven Turrets since WWII. Nowadays all major MBTs use electric driven Turrets.

No engine needed...but batterie voltage will go down very fast.

To avoid this, most modern MBTs and IFVs have a auxiliary power generator.

This "cool and silent mode" is used for surveillance and reconaissance type missions.

this is first hand info.

unfortunately this is impossible to do im ArmA1&2

Very true

In SteelBeasts Pro they even simulate having to manualy hand crank your turret if your damaged, good way to break your keyboard...

In SteelBeasts Pro they even simulate having to manualy hand crank your turret if your damaged, good way to break your keyboard...

Manual sucks, especially in real life

Traverse isn't to bad by it's self until you have to make manual traverse and elevation corrections in large amounts

How loud is it in the vehicle when the turret slews around? Do crew wear any earprotection?

Traverse is not loud at all, ear plugs are not needed because all crew are wearing CVC helmets which have comm headsets built in that act as noise suppressors

ECVCHMCK003.JPG

;1377107']that's disappointing' date=' we're essentially hostage to marauding choppers since they can tab-scan and lock on to you immediately, it ruins the dynamics of the game because now choppers have to be either left out or severely neutered in order to have some balance in multiplayer.[/quote']

I guess that's the difference then. Engine on is a bright red tab-steppable target while if the engine is off you need to manually designate the target under the cursor which may or may not work depending on the vehicles and weapon.

Something I noticed today which is good info,

The AAV turret doesn't cause the vehicle to fire up giving your position away. That I do like seeing that my MOS in the Marines was AAV's :D Now if we could just get the graphics a little more accurate on the inside, hehe

I have gotten to the point after ArmA 2 that I decided screw it and picked up a copy of SB Pro PE because ArmA 2's tank combat left so much to be desired...

I have gotten to the point after ArmA 2 that I decided screw it and picked up a copy of SB Pro PE because ArmA 2's tank combat left so much to be desired...

Having them for support and transportation means is still feasonable imo. I agree however, vehicles are not where the realism is at in Arma². Still hoping for someone to port over the FCS/Ballistics module of NWD.