Sign in to follow this  
fiach

How to get AI to use RPG against choppers?

Has anyone any idea how to get the AI rpg7 guys to use them against low flying helicopters?

I realise they are not designed for that but the mission Im designing requires insurgents to attempt it?

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:40 PM ----------

No ideas? When the pilots ditch after taking fire, then the AI AT guys use their rpgs but I want them to fire a rocket or two at them in the sky.

I have a hard time making the AI use RPGs on armored vehicles... :(

I made a basic assault mission where the AI had a BTR-90, and if I don't soul-swap to the M136 soldiers quickly enough, the BTR-90 will blow up the entire squad. The AI shooting abilities are so super, I don't get why their ability to swap to AT weapon and use it isn't.

I think you can make the AI switch to the RPG, but I don't know if you can force him to actually use it. I've seen AI use RPG against infantry and fail to use it against tanks :(

Try this: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/selectWeapon

thank you, but i wasn't looking for scripting. I need to be able to have AI switch and use weapon when i tell him in scenarios! also having a hard time telling 8 members to re-arm with one click of a button.

thank you, but i wasn't looking for scripting. I need to be able to have AI switch and use weapon when i tell him in scenarios! also having a hard time telling 8 members to re-arm with one click of a button.

This won't happen without scripting, since RPG is used against ground targets, not air. If you want AI to fire at a chopper without scripting simply give them an Igla.

As for the effort to reload 8 members at the touch of a button..

{reload _x} forEach [s1,s2,s3,s4,s5,s6,s7,s8];

The AI shooting abilities are so super, I don't get why their ability to swap to AT weapon and use it isn't.

Ya, the AI is definitely slow with this. On the other hand after playing another game recently called Warfare (some Russian game) I am quite happy with it. In that game the infantry where super fast with missiles and as result any armored unit had a pathetically short survival time. I was more scared of a squad of soldiers than I was of any tank. Armor should be scary, and it is Arma. Pulling of a successful AT shot requires good tactics, ambush, etc.

As long as the damage system is realistic, it's very realistic for tanks to be afraid of infantry like that ;)

I tried all the methods... the fire command (not doFire) will fire the rpg but it won't target the chopper (it just aims to the sky for some strange reason)... doFire wouldn't fire because it's pretty much a command telling the soldier to fire with a weapon it sees as inadequate. nothing appears to work... there's probably no way to get the AI to fire an AT weapon towards an air target effectively even if a player controlled unit can do so with some success.

Edited by AvihooI

I had something like this halfway worked out. I got the AI to switch to RPG, look at the chopper and fire. However I didn't want them to miss, so I used to trick to delete the RPG round itself after it was fire and used a setDamage command to destroy the helo. Problem is, the SOUND of the shot was fine, but you lost the smoke trail since the round was destroyed.

Dont tell it to fire at the helicopter, tell it to fire at where the helicopter is/going to be. It'll do that just fine

You can spoof it a bit.

Take one empty UAZ named uaz and stick it in a chopper named heli.

uaz attachto [heli,[0,0,0]];deletecollection uaz

Then stick this script in a units init or trigger and away you go.

unit dotarget uaz;unit dofire uaz

It may not be enough to destroy a chopper but it does bring it down.

You could always check to see when the Uaz is destroyed and then take out the chopper with setdamage.