Sign in to follow this  
ricnunes

ArmA2 bye bye in October - Replaced by OFP2?

First of all I bought OFP, ArmA and recently ArmA2 so I'm BIS customer for a long time and IMO this reserves me the right to make the following post which is meant to be more directed towards BIS developers (I hope that BIS devs read this).

There were some suggestions that many in the community including me decided to ask for (aircraft countermeasures, realistic sights, realistic HUDs, etc...) but unfortunally the BIS devs basically seem to decide NOT to listen to most sugestions asked by the community. In many cases this means terrible consequences to a dev team.

Anyway I would like to share some of the features that Codemasters which seems to be listening to their community/future customers (as opposed to BIS) are including in their OFP2 and which should have been included in ArmA2as well. And these features if combined with what I expect from a realistic game in terms of combat, it will definitly mean that I will abandon ArmA2 and "migrate" to OFP2 (BIS will lose me as a customer).

The features in OFP2 which are way superior to ArmA2 are:

-> Here you can see a screenshot taken from the OFP2 last video which shows the driver position of an AAV-7 in which we can see hightlighted with some notes made by me (on red) that the ground vehicles in OFP2 will have a real gearbox and an indicator showing which gear position the vehicle is in the moment. OFP2 vehicles also shows a RPM indicator, things that ArmA2 completly lacks:

driveraav3.JPG

-> Next, you can see the M1 Abrams gunner position where you can see that the gunner sight does have a rangefinding feature which in the last video wasn't working but I've already seen it working in an another video. ArmA2 completly lack a Rangefinding feature! The Abrams gunner sight also looks visually much more realistic:

abramsgunner3.JPG

-> Here you can see the JAVELIN SIGHT! The Javelin sight in OFP2 is "light-years" ahead of ArmA2 Javelin sight! BIS this is HOW A JAVELIN SIGHT LOOKS LIKE IN REAL LIFE:

javelinsight.jpg

-> Finally I want to show the Cobra pilot position in OFP2. You can see in the notes that I've done that helicopters in OFP2 as opposed to ArmA2 HAVE COUNTERMEASURES - Flares to be more accurate, and that the HUD or in this case a Helmet Mounted System (yes, Codemaster "discovered" that the AH-1Z doesn't have a HUD but instead have a Helmet Mounted System) which looks FAR MORE realistic than anything we see in ArmA2:

cobrapilot3.JPG

To end my post, I want to say that the objective of this thread is NOT to troll of flame or whatever. I always was a faithfull customer of BIS products and as one I reserve myself the right to post my disapointments with any BIS products and in this case to be more precise with ArmA2! I honestly think that BIS is lacking the simple "vision" of "hearing" their customers. It's unexcusable that ArmA2 being publicited as a modern "Authentic Simulation" (I'm currently looking at the back of my ArmA2 DVD case) does have the LESS realistic Javelin sight that I've ever seen in a combat game (even the "piece of crap" that Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is, does have a more realistic looking Javelin sight than the one of ArmA2) and there's absolutelly no excuse for helicopters NOT having FLARE countermeasures and this are only 2 "small" examples!

Honestly, and if BIS doesn't want to make more advanced "electronics" than at least they should be coherent with themselfs and instead of making a modern/near-future war scenario in ArmA2 they should have made an older scenario such as the Vietnam war for ArmA2 - At least No Flares countermesures or Javelin sights are required!

Resuming, if OFP2 reaches my expectations by having a realistic combat coupled with the features that I posted above than I want to say thanks to BIS for providing me with years of fun (with OFP and ArmA) but it's time for me to move on to a more realistic and advanced simulation.

Have to say, you do raise a couple of pretty good points. I have my doubts about OFP2: DR, two things that worry me so far about it are the severity of the wounding system and its realism (i.e get hit in the head, step back a few feet and apply magic bandaid to self, and voila), and also the lack of decent view-distance I've seen in the pictures/videos so far, though in the first pic it seems to be better than anywhere else I've seen it. Graphically though, it seems to be well ahead of Arma2, with far more sophisticated LOD for foliage and buildings etc, more realistic grass and grass draw distance among other things. However, whether this plays out in the final game (and if so whether or not it cripples computers like Arma2 does), and whether its at the expense of the things that make a good mil-sim remains to be seen.

TBH, OFP2: DR would have to include a pretty insanely awesome editor on top of all this other stuff to have a chance of displacing Arma2 as my mil-sim of choice.

You're right if you're right.

We have no idea how many of these features actually make it into the game - game dev's can't be trusted (no pun intended BIS). If all those things makes it into OFP2 - damn right, it'll kick ArmA 2's arse. If not - it won't.

Did you actually see the gameplay videos? It looks like it will play like battlefield. Can battlefield replace ArmA? Not for me.

Most of the Ultra-Realistic features will most probably be dropped, knowing the OFP2 community (A younger community than ArmA's), they would have no idea what "Seek", "Top" or "FLTR" mean on the Javelin. (Hell I don't even know)

We'll wait and see, Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising has failed to convince me just yet with it soldiers who seem to be suffering from dorsalgia.

There is an existing DR thread, no need for new ones just to post comparisons.