Sign in to follow this  
Herbal Influence

A big "wow" !

Perhaps this helps some people struggling with the hardware hungry game:

Set two groups of people from the opposite sides into a town.

Few of them should be able to see the other sides people.

Set yourself as civil person into the middle - a little aside.

And ... watch. And watch.

I was really fascinated how intelligent the bots act. They even came from behind the main line after some time.

It was like watching a film of war and you yourself in the midst of it.

In better-than-video-on-TV graphics.

Thanx BI ! - for this wonderful game.

Please post a good explanation of the problems you are having and which settings you are using. We can't help you otherwise!

Either your sarcasm is lost or your definitly in the wrong thread, either way it's all appropriate to your name :D

okokok ..... wrong thread. You are right.

But most of the probs depend on cpu.

I wanted to show that its not from ugly programming, but from enhanced functions and intelligence.

Neet idear Herbal Influence, I'm definately gonna try that!

:)

I actually did that lots of times already in the demo. during night time placed a few groups of BLUFOR and OPFOR, sided with tanks, a road or a big field in between, set myself as a parachutist civilian, looking down and admiring the beauty, sometimes getting caught between fire or joining the insurgents.

Yeah - please tell us what you have seen repeating the simplest simulation I described.

For example I watched a bot creeping behind a house to get in security from the shootings.

Than: Standing up and leaning (!) round a corner of that house to take a look again at the enemy.

I really began to understand why it's so hard to fight against bots for they hide that nice. ;-)

In OF I watched from afar that one RES bot healed another and they both engaged in fighting thereafter again. I had to smile and said unto them: Hey, don't waste your time! No need to play that theatre for me! I know you are just bots and could heal with a single row in the script!! ;-)

And don't get me wrong as kids could do: I am truly fascinated about the independency (?) and intelligence of the bots. I know how to do a computer program, gave lectures on it, and this is the reason why I am so fascinated and want to share my (and your) fascination.

You may look at it as someone who loves and is fascinated by a machine for just technical reasons.

Today I have seen:

An AI crawling slowly on top of the roof of a hangar to get hiddeously to the flag and kill my bots around. Dunno how he got up there. Maybe using a ladder?!

At first I couldn't believe my eyes - never seen that in OF. Maybe it was a ... collision bug who turned out to be a feature ... for the enemy side. ;-))

When it was a bug it proves that bugs can make the game more real! ;-))

Herbal! :D

I encountered situations in Coop Multiplayer which can only be called "strange coincidence of real AI foxyness". Once I basically wiped out an entire town but couldnt find the last soldier for a trigger to work. So I got back into my jeep standing in the middle of the road to drive to the next hill and get a better overview.

But the soldier I had been looking for had basically crawled up from behind nearly onto under my car. When I drove off he killed me from behind. :eek:

I wonder which strange command told him not to fire untill I drove off.

Herbal! :D

I encountered situations in Coop Multiplayer which can only be called "strange coincidence of real AI foxyness". Once I basically wiped out an entire town but couldnt find the last soldier for a trigger to work. So I got back into my jeep standing in the middle of the road to drive to the next hill and get a better overview.

But the soldier I had been looking for had basically crawled up from behind nearly onto under my car. When I drove off he killed me from behind. :eek:

I wonder which strange command told him not to fire untill I drove off.

I think it was the Skynet command.

I've seen some good stuff too, for instance the AI had flanked me plenty of times, and I've seen them using cover too. I've also noticed that in the campaign, Razor squad is a team of idiots. Who gets told to take cover in a bunker, and then stands outside it during a firefight.

Great guys! More of that!

I remember that when we started with OF in an internet cafe that closed at midnight.

We used to go to a pub and drink a beer and told us all the nice situations we were in during combat.

I can still laugh at the pictures given.

And with AA2 it will still be more exciting for the AIs seem to be much more intelligent and flexible.

Can't wait for your reports!

Neet idear Herbal Influence, I'm definately gonna try that!

:)

how you get to be as a civilian? through the mission editor?

Yes set a civilian as player in the editor.

I was playing a scenario last night and I thought it was amazing. I liked it more than the campaign, they’re short but intense. Any how, I was playing last night not sure which one but I was a member of a squad and following a leader, they weren’t speaking English by the way and don’t know why. So we were approaching the target and all of a sudden the leader started going back away from target point, I said: what the hell? Should I follow him or should I stay! I decided to follow him and I was stunned to see that he went back to heal the rest of the squad because the medic was injured as well, I couldn’t help but put a smile on my face and started helping my leader healing the other members, when all good to go, we marched again toward the target area.

A nice detail I noticed a few times when a soldier/medic is going to heal someone he will look around to make sure its safe. Thats why they don't always heal immediately because they will engage any enemy around until its safe to heal.

Love it...

i love how the AI helicopters don't ignore infantry any more! i love to just set up a squad in a field or a town and watch an mi24 or a ka52 take out the squad with a carpet rocket attack. i've noticed that the aircraft also do it too! :)

Hi all

We were playing an Asymetric PvP the other day against a BLUEFOR High commander.

We noticed the BLUEFOR's tendancy to hit and run with the TOWS which was very effective, they deploy to a ridge then shoot and scoot.

We were thinking excelent work from the BLUEFOR high commander only afterwards he told us he was as surprised as us. It was the AI itself that was employing the shoot and scoot tactics. :eek:

Kind Regards walker

I was playing the campaign the other day(3rd time through) and was playing Razor 2 the other day and went to the town to help the old man defend the barn against the ChDkz. My AI team members were covering each other as we moved. They were advancing with a beautiful CQ tactics. Covering from the sides of buildings while one member advanced in between buildings and another covering our six. They were all moving from cover to cover, staying concealed when necessary i.e. never foolish bolting out from behind a building. Even the movement in the woods is looking great. I really could go on and on. I wish I recorded it.

As I've mentioned in a few other threads, as have walker and a few others around here I believe, I've found that a key to great AI tactics is giving proper orders at the proper time. This also includes just not blindly rushing around looking for a fight. The movements by the player, if group leader, can be the difference between the AI getting smoked or not. If you slow down your play and think through your movements and orders, god damn it helps.

I've seen the AI do some very impressive stuff when I just observed as well. A huge step up from A1. But I was so floored by how well my AI team mates performed I just had to bring it up. From a game, it was a thing of beauty.

The most intense battle I've had in this game so far was a simple mission I made to tes the russian AT tripod. I stuck one in the middle of a road outside a town with some infantry to protect him then put myself into a group of armoured infantry. As expected the armour got taken out then my AI teamates went berserk and set about assualting the AT crew and his protectors.

They steadily bounded down the road covering each other and using the railroad tracks on one side and the trees on the other side as cover. I stayed with the leader and watched as he moved from tree to tree waving his men forward when he had a good spot to fire from. The resulting firefight was the most frantic one I've been in it was terrifying the noise of all the bullets hitting the trees around us and one guy ran forward on the bound and got shot as he passed my tree and I could hear the bullet hit him then he groaned as he hit the ground then slowly crawled to a tree and called for help. I thought I'd patch him up but got cut down as I tried to move to him.

The AI are good in this game when you consider they are not stuck in a confined level and their only aim is to shoot you. They have so much more to do and things to do it with that it boggles the mind when you stop to think about how well it generaly does work.

Today I have seen:

An AI crawling slowly on top of the roof of a hangar to get hiddeously to the flag and kill my bots around. Dunno how he got up there. Maybe using a ladder?!

At first I couldn't believe my eyes - never seen that in OF. Maybe it was a ... collision bug who turned out to be a feature ... for the enemy side. ;-))

When it was a bug it proves that bugs can make the game more real! ;-))

I don't know how good the AI is in Steel Beasts Pro PE; it's supposed to be pretty good. But from what I've seen so far the AI in Arma II is one of the best.

They steadily bounded down the road covering each other and using the railroad tracks on one side and the trees on the other side as cover. .....

The AI are good in this game when you consider they are not stuck in a confined level and their only aim is to shoot you. They have so much more to do and things to do it with that it boggles the mind when you stop to think about how well it generaly does work.

Yep. That seems to be one more aspect I think I have experienced too and which is quite new (to me, as an old OF-gamer who did only a little AA1):

That they cover each other, at least, seem somehow to work together. :rolleyes:

I am not really sure about this for it might be a result of their seeking a cover in the environement which might make it look alike they would cling strategically together ... :bounce3: