Sign in to follow this  
Nurgel

Arma 2 causing rebooting of my PC

Hi there,

Usually play it for a bit (20 minutes to 45 minutes) then my PC instantly powers down and then boots again after a second. I have the steam version of Arma 2, ATI Radeon HD 4870 w/ latest drivers, Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2 ghz and about 4gb of memory so should run it just fine. I originally had my cpu and video overclocked but after the restarts I restored stock speeds to both, still have the same problem. Play other games just fine with no issues and I've been lurking on the forums for a couple weeks and haven't seen this particular problem yet.

Any suggestions?

Arma 2 is a great fun game, this makes it no fun to play though. :(

Thanks for any assistance.

Have you tried cranking down some of the settings? I know a lot of people will moan about trying it (and say that their system can play game "x" totally maxed and get a flawless play with a billion fps....but this isn't game "x").

It took me a few nights of tinkering with settings to dial my rig in and get it stable. I just backed everything down to low and worked my way up. There are still some things I can do to crash it (I just avoid them for now).

I know it's not an acceptable answer to some people, but it's worth a try if it can lead to being able to play for extended periods.

Good luck and post any results.

Hrm, not a bad idea I'll give it a shot. Just think its odd that this is the only app that is causing this sort of behavior on my machine, I play other high performance games like Crysis and don't have any stability issues.

I'll dial it down a bit see if that helps, thanks for the input.

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Well got it down about as low as it can go settings wise and same problem occurs, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

it's not that odd nurgel, the same happend on the release of BF2 and wasn't patched for month's. To this day I still can't get BF2 to run stable with a solid overclock and I have tryed on a e6600, e6850, e8500 and a QE9650. after patch v1.40 it was way more stable but still on shutdown of the app it will crash with error sound but thats not as bad as a hang or CTDT just as you beggin a knife frenzy in close quarters just as you find your zone!

this game is a little worse(understatement) than the BF2 launch because not many if any at all can get this to play as well as it should with even the most tweaked, clocked godware!

I had been keeping an eye on this game for a while and are not surprised that it was released only half compleated. Contractual and financial pressure are the reasons but that is still a pissweak excuse for the cheap home made code that is Arma2!

The real sad thing is that this conceptualy is a great game with massive area to play and all the arma and weapons you could want. what lets it down in this area is a lame AI, no "official" maps for the casual gamer to just jump on after a frustrating day at work. and if there was "official" servers" they would be full of cheats, simply because of the nature of home made code, allready I have read of the ping tweaks that so ruin BF2 and PR at the moment.

I could rant on and on, and prolly wind myself up to the point I can't shoot strait so Time for a run around a full 64peep PR server that I know has good gamers that know about team and squad work and I will get over 150fps running at 2560x1600 everything on max..and yes that is important!!

This happened to me but it confused the hell out of me because it only happened on certain severs. I could play for hours on some servers but on others I could only play for 10 - 15 minutes then my comp would shut down and reboot. Anyway to fix it I went into CCC and turned the fan up to 70%. I have an Ati 4870 512Mb.

One more source to check: open your PC and check if coolers are full of dust and dirt. Already had people complaining about PC rebooting or completely shut down where a complete cleaning of the PC did solve the problem.

I'm not saying it is the case at your side, just another issue to check about.

:EDITH:

@woolly-back-jack

If you're getting this response it is because a lot (although not all) of compatibility and stability problems are caused by hardware and/or driver issues. I would even go that far that it is 80% and up.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

believe me Myke I (and I am sure lots of the others having problems) have tried everything we can possibly think of. It may well be something clashing hardwarewise but that is something that can only be sorted out between BI and ati/nvidia. As it is something amiss graphicly performace wise.

some things that come to mind:

--CTD and BSOD happen more often in multiplayer

--alot of people with 8 series cards are suffering

--game worked fine at first then it has deteriorated and got worse and the crashes get more often.

--less BSOD with new beta drivers, but CTD are still often

I have also recently had my computer shutting down during SP. I've just added another GTX260 and now running in SLI with latest drivers. These are new GPUs so there is no chance that there is dust in them. What else could be causing this?

I have also recently had my computer shutting down during SP. I've just added another GTX260 and now running in SLI with latest drivers. These are new GPUs so there is no chance that there is dust in them. What else could be causing this?

what kind of PSU are you using? Also, how are your temps (GPU and CPU).

Take the case lid off and see if it improves. The prime suspect is heat. Then power consumption used during cooling when temperature gets up.

Yep, sounds like a PSU problem.

I'm using a brand new OCZ 700w stealthXtreme PSU. Surely this should be up to the job? GPU1 temp has gone up to about 84deg whilst playing and GPU2 runs about 10deg lower. Not sure what temp the CPU has been running but all 4 cores have been running about at 75 - 80%.