Sign in to follow this  
S!fkaIaC

What is the value of a decent Simulation Engine??

What is the value of a real MilSimfor you  

278 members have voted

1. 1. What is the value of a real MilSimfor you

• 30-50â?¬ one time
    • 50-100â?¬ one time
    • 100-150â?¬ one time
    • 30-50â?¬ every year including all fixes and expansions
    • 50-100â?¬ every year including all fixes and expansions
    • 100-150â?¬ every year including all fixes and expansions
    • More then 150â?¬, even every year

A true "Military" simulator would have to encompass so many different things it would cost far, far more than any of the prices you have specified. A real military sim is designed to help save lives in the event of a combat engagement in the real world. Not to keep a civilian entertained in the evening or at weekends. You have to include peacekeeping, humanitarian operations, VIP protection, etc.. In a real world military environment it's rarely as simple as "Enemy in *THIS* uniform is located in *THESE* locations. Take your team and capture the objectives". The amount of technology and licences needed to put said technology in the simulation would cost so much money that they couldn't afford to charge anything under thousands of dollars. I think Arma II is about as in depth as it is realistically possible to achieve in a military simulation for entertainment purposes. You are asking for something unrealistic. Plus a REAL simulation would be boring, lots of waiting around playing cards.

Whats wrong about that waiting?In a flying simulator (DID Ef 2000) you where flying a hour or longer under warcondition to the target and this was fucking cool.In RL:rolleyes: you are standing for hours in your guardhouse and nothing happen but you dont stand their because its safe out their or without a purpose. thats life.

It is a SIMULATION and not a console shooter for the drug speed and cox infested volk thats headbanging in some corners.Dont like it,take the simulation out and play arcade or a some game wher you have action that you like.

On my ARMA 2 cover is something printed where stands "ULTIMATE MILITARYSIMULATOR" nad not L337 ololololololol11111!!!11 uber shooter that look like a simulator but is for the boons that cant sit in a place for two hours.

so where is it? will it be patcht´d? do i get a mail with a DVD?

BI games are much underpriced.

I would ask them to take at least 100,00 Euro/150 USDollar to make clear what it's about.

It's simply more than gaming, much more.

And since OFP lasts since 2001 for me and has given me about a 365 x 1 h x 8,5 years = 3102,5 hrs of fun - I fear much more ;-) - it's at most a 0,008 Euros per hour.

Every alternative is more expensive: Cinema, even watching TV or listening to radio, not to speak of drinking a beer ... or taking a bath or having a shower.

I think it's not even close to being as expensive as having a simple walk outside ... considering your shoes wearing out ... but ... please mind your backs ... don't reject a walk because of this! ;-)

A recent and serious study showed that Linux is worth more than 1 Billion Euros (1.000.000.000,00 Euro) for it takes x hours of x Euros to reprogram it.

Edited by Herbal Influence

BIS games, and most games are underpriced... IF you use it for a while. A COD player firing up Arma2 for the first and last time will have paid way too much. For us that gets thousands of hours from it, it's way underpriced. COD as well. For those players unjoying multiplayer for long, it's well worth the money. For us just skimming through the singleplayer part , it's overpriced.

An annual or monthly fee would be completely out of the question for me. I wouldn't even check out the reviews, hyper realistic or not. But OA will give me more additional content, engine enhancements, and a new campaign. For that, I'm more than happy to pay. But for those who tried Arma2 and didn't like it, they can freely skip OA and save that money. At the same time, this new content and engine enhancements should deliver. Stay away from certain (german) distributors and give us the expansion when it's finished.

I would probably pay over 50€ only if they optimised their games more...

I think I'd be willing to pay up to 100 euro for an add-on containing a few helicopters

that had physics that even remotely resembled the real thing. (N.B: By "even remotely"

I mean at least as the helicopters behaved in the Battlefield 1942 mod "Desert Combat".)

Why not build on the current game and release separate expansions for each player-

type? Tank-expansion for tankers, Heli/jet expansion for avionic-addicts and a pure

infantry version for people who like ground-pounding. It would be sort of different games

playing on the same server. Servers could then have settings which allowed a maximum

number of each player-types.

(Eg. For a 32 player server this could mean 20 infantry, 8 tank-players and 4 pilots)

Done with heart and care, it could even turn out to be something a lot of people would even

pay a monthly subscription for. (Something publishers love to hear)

I'd buy OA even if it didnt have any extra content but a massive physics engine overhaul.