Sign in to follow this  
WoodenSpoons

help with map editing stuff

hi , ok i have a few questions about mission map editing

(for multiplayer map editing)

-how do i create a spawn point using the multiplayer map editor (not wizard) as i can put players down but once your dead, your dead as i cant create a spawn point for each team

-make helecopters and other vehicles re-spawn once dead

-use/play a multiplayer map i downloaded when joining a server, i dont know where these maps are stored in game, ive seen a recent multiplayer downloaded maps cache folder for arma but dont know how to find them in game

ive seen loads of cool multiplayer maps online but dont know how to do/make loads of the thingswhich are in the online ones, how do they make em so complex and do so much stuff e.g be able to use a helecopter to left a truck....(ive seen)

Thanks alot im very confused :s :-)

Edited by WoodenSpoons
solved

There are answers for every single question if you just use the search function. They've all been asked multiple times already, so shouldn't be overly hard finding some threads. Hope those threads hold the answers you want :)

-how do i create a spawn point using the multiplayer map editor (not wizard) as i can put players down but once your dead, your dead as i cant create a spawn point for each team

-use/play a multiplayer map i downloaded when joining a server, i dont know where these maps are stored in game, ive seen a recent multiplayer downloaded maps cache folder for arma but dont know how to find them in game

ive seen loads of cool multiplayer maps online but dont know how to do/make loads of the thingswhich are in the online ones, how do they make em so complex and do so much stuff e.g be able to use a helecopter to left a truck....(ive seen)

1- I still find the search feature of the forum very limited and havent found an anwser to the spawn points myself and I'm continuing my search.

2- No clue.

3-I have the steam version and the maps are in the ARMA2 folder, under missions. If you are using windows, it would be something like C:\Program Files\BIS\Arma2\missions

If you ever find questions to your 2 first questions, be sure to post them !

SEARCH feature : http://forums.bistudio.com/search.php

i have looked and cant find a clear answer either.

I found loads of half answers that didnt help me though.

The generic answer:

Much of what you're asking about are things that are not simply done in the editor (ie: not point, click, drop, drag stuff). Special actions and features that "do things" are done via scripts (often written by other players) that are placed into mission files and called up via certain triggers or events.

At the very least, a certain understanding of which boxes to use in the editor becomes needed. It can be quite simple or quite complicated (depending on what your coding/scripting background may be). Simple re-spawn is pretty easy to set up. Doing things like allowing helos to carry another vehicle is a good deal more in-depth.

You'll find what your looking for (Google). There are a number of very good tutorials out there for the ArmA editor (which is mostly the same for ArmA2 with a few color changes).

ok what ive done so far(not worked) is

-create a marker(in editor under units ,waypoints ect) and named it respawn_west

no respawn

-then went to description.exe and added

respawn = 3;

respawnDelay = 3;

respawnVehicleDelay = 5;

respawnDialog = 0;

no respawn, help!!!

Description.exe :eek: .

Slow down and do/learn 1 thing at a time, you can start by searching the wiki and reading about description.ext.

There are many scripts available in places like armaholic, ofpec, etc but you should learn the basics of the editor and files used in mission editing.

Its not easy but you are not going to learn about it by asking for help with map editing stuff. If you dont put time into searching and reading about the basic things you probably wont have patience for the complicated stuff.

ok i just cannot find a clear answer to this respawn thing i have created a marker saying respawn_west on my map in editor ive also tryed a number of things in the descriptions. exe including

// Respawn Settings

respawn=BASE;

respawndelay=1;

and

onLoadMission = "first mission 007!";

// Respawn Settings

respawn=BASE;

respawndelay=1;

and

class Header

{

gameType = Coop;

minPlayers = 1;

maxPlayers = 3;

};

onLoadMission = "first mission 007";

OnLoadMissionTime = false;

// Respawn Settings

respawn=4;

respawndelay=5;

ShowGPS = 1;

titleParam1 = "Time of Day:";

valuesParam1[] = {-6,0,6,12};

defValueParam1 = 0;

textsParam1[] = {"Morning","Midday","Evening","Night"};

the ("first mission 007" is the name of my map,)

please someone help, where am i going wrong i just end up turning into a bird and the game ends, no respawn..........

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

ahh soz i meant .ext hadnt read it props it is .ext

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

also for the record i am editing the

documents-arma2-missions-description.ext

should i be doing/creating one in my actual mission folder e.g create description.ext in

documents-arma2-missions-first mission 0070-description.ext

ok i have the solution!!!!!!!!!!!!

add a marker named respawn west (or east ect where u wona respawn)

then

-go to the folder documents-arma2-MPMissions-(now double click on the mission u created in editor which u want respawns for)

-create a description.ext file at this location(i coppied it out of documents-arma2-missions folde)

-edit your new description.ext file u now have and make it say :

respawn = "BASE";

respawnDelay = 0;

you can edit these so u respawn with group or have a 5second delay ext and alot more but this is the simple answer i wish people would have told me :-)

Yes, for people to respawn at a marker, you need respawn=3 (at base) in your description.ext file. At least I am pretty sure it's 3... but, it is a number that tells the mission how to respawn the units, haha. You got that one licked.

So, here is a link to a great vehicle respawn script, written by Tajin:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79070&highlight=respawn+script

I have used it, it works great.

Just an FYI, I found it again after searching the forum for "respawn vehicle". It was on page three. The editor is as simple or as complex as you want it to be. I would highly suggest doing a lot of forum searching and reading anything that remotely pertains to what you are doing. I have learned a LOT that way.

Edited by Eclipse4349

this is the simple answer i wish people would have told me :-)

Right, you had it set up correctly from the start but weren't putting the description.ext file in the mission folder. That was your problem. Honestly that's step 1, putting the file in the right place.

yeh i would have put it in the right place but all i could find across the forum was put it in your arma2-missions folder now im a step by step follow exactly what it says person so i did this and there is a descriptions.ext file there so i presumed it meant that

also thnx for everyones help and that vehicle respawn thingy gena cheak that out now

hmm. yeah that Bomemia Interactive Wiki is almost for pro's that actually know what they are doing but need a few references here and there, thats what ive found anyway. It didnt help me at all when i was trying to learn respawn scripts and stuff, it assumes you know very basic but very easily to not know stuff.

Like when creating the description.ext you need to make sure the .txt is not at the end of the description.ext. Another thing, is place the description.ext @ my documents/arma2/missions. When you compile the mission in editor it all automatically gets compiled into the single mission folder or the multiplayer folder at Program files/Arma2/MPmissions in a PBO file. The description.ext and the briefing.sqf or any script youve created in my documents/arma 2/missions folder gets compiled into a PBO file with EVERYTHING included. This information i had to hunt down for DAYS,lol, without knowing what i was looking for. So the search function was almost a waste of time, until i stumbled over things accidently. If you dont know what your looking for how are you supposed to search for it?