Sign in to follow this  
chris64

OFP GOTY edition free on GameTap!

As far as I can see this looks to be legitimate, but I apologize in advance if this breaks any forum rules, just remove it if does so.

What you need to do is create a free account on GameTap, then search for Operation Flashpoint, click on Download Now, and there you go! It should begin downloading! I already have OFP but I'm trying it again and I'll tell you if it's alright, I haven't used GameTap before so I'm not sure how this really works, hopefully someone else will know more than me :). Thought this might be useful for those who want to try what is in my opinion the greatest game ever, or for those who have lost their CD's.

http://www.gametap.com/

http://www.gametap.com/video-games/O...0000280-0.html

The question is that can you play with mods with this version of OFP?

EDIT: Ouch, I have found the answer. No. :(

Edited by Rainbow

I can't comment on the legality of the download.

But if it is genuine,and a GOTY edition,then it should be compatible

with mods/addons.As far as I know only the initial release didn't support

them.

It is free, and does work but it requires registration, the installation of GameTap's install service, and yucky DRM thinger. That the GOTY edition of OFP is available for about $8 from many U.S. eTailers in a sexy box with manual suggests to me that if you don't already own this game, now is a good time to buy it if you want a real hard copy. Inventories of cool older games tend to 'dry up' and prices go crazy when there's a sort of posterity re-discovery of how cool something is in it own right and all the woowoo over eye-candy in the latest and greatest settles down.

:)

From what i read, gametap require the installation of their software/drm (and so you need to trust any kind of crap and "service" it may install) to download and be able to run a game you download from them, you have no access to the files and that's why you can't use mods and addons apparently with their "free" OFP.

Additionally with gametap, a free game is not "free forever" unlike most free release of old games, they rotate their "free" catalog so in a month or less you will not be able to play with your "free OFP" anymore and will need to pay a monthly fee if you want to continue to play with it.

The fee being superior to some of the price i saw of boxed GOTY (i even bought mine years ago for cheaper than what gametap would make you pay for just 1 month), you would be better with buying it so you would have access to the gigantic amount of mods and addons.

And there are ads too.

Edited by Sanctuary

Oh damn didn't know that :( to be honest I already have the GOTY edition so it was more for my friend to try and see if he liked the genre. Can't really remember having to download much, just the game files but then I have a bad memory so you're probably right