Sign in to follow this  
CaptRio

Ingame Weapons models

Hey guys,

I'd like to know if theres a difference between the weapons models ingame.

Is the M4 less accurate over distance than the M16? Does the M16 has a higher muzzle speed and packs a bigger punch?

Those kind of details that I'd like to know if are present in the game.

From what I've read on these forums the ballistics are only based on caliber and not weapon type, so in your example the M4 and M16 would behave in the exact same way.

Erm, there are factors that are defined in the CfgWeapons and there are factors defined in the CfgMagazines. Factors in CfgWeapons are different, or at least able to be, different weapon to weapon. Factors in CfgMagazines would produce the same result for a magazine that is used in two or more weapons.

Erm, there are factors that are defined in the CfgWeapons and there are factors defined in the CfgMagazines. Factors in CfgWeapons are different, or at least able to be, different weapon to weapon. Factors in CfgMagazines would produce the same result for a magazine that is used in two or more weapons.

How can I open those .PBO files?

I would suggest

Tools for Armed Assault/ArmA 2, 06.06.2008

by Kegetys, http://www.kegetys.net

The cpbo utility unpacks the pbo file and unRap converts the binarized config.bin into a notepad-readable text file config.cpp.

Someone once said in this forums that now, the barrel length, besides caliber, is a factor too. Is that correct?

Of course longer barrel makes weapon more accurate.

Someone once said in this forums that now, the barrel length, besides caliber, is a factor too. Is that correct?

I believe that was me and I think I am mistaken.

I believe that was me and I think I am mistaken.

I think you are correct actually.

Here's the difference between a M16 and an M4. Pretty similar weapons afaik except for the barrel length.

M855_drop_during_25-meter_zeroing_trajectory_M16A2_M4.jpg

Of course longer barrel makes weapon more accurate.
I think you are correct actually.

Here's the difference between a M16 and an M4. Pretty similar weapons afaik except for the barrel length.

M855_drop_during_25-meter_zeroing_trajectory_M16A2_M4.jpg

Obviously the question is about the game, not real life. Of course barrel length effects velocity in the real world, but does it in ArmA 2?

Why is everything here so mysterious?

Theres no such information on the manual, and the DEVs wont say a thing about it. So we have to guess....

Come on......

M4 is full auto or semi-automatic. The M16A4 is 3 round burst or semi automatic. The M16A4 has the acog optic, the M4 has the holo optic. Seems from my game experience the weapons are pretty much the same as far as accuracy, though you rarely shoot either over 300 meters anyway.

I use the M16A4 because of the 3 round burst, it seems to conserve ammunition more (its real life purpose) than the fully auto M4.

It would be rare for an infantryman to be given a M4 with full auto. M4A1 with safe-semi-burst is more common.

Isn't the M4A1 the M4 full auto variant for more specialized forces?

M4 has 3-round burst. M4A1 is full auto.

I just dug around in the demo files a bit and it looks like muzzle velocity is still set by the magazine in the gun, not the gun itself.

I can't believe after all these years they still haven't fixed this.

Wouldn't muzzle velocity be influenced by the type of ammunition used?

Isn't the M4A1 the M4 full auto variant for more specialized forces?

I got the two reversed since CplBlakeman said "M16 conserves ammo better than the fully auto M4"

Yes, but barrel length / barrel grooves are going to have a big effect on it.

Yes, ammunition would provide the baseline (e.g. M855 has inherently higher velocity than Mk. 262 because of a lighter bullet), but barrel would determine the velocity when the round leaves the muzzle. Also, velocity and accuracy are not the same thing. Velocity just provides a flatter trajectory and reduces the impact of wind drift (irrelevant in ArmA 2). A 10.5 inch barrel can be just as inherently accurate as a 20 inch barrel, but the bullets fired from each will not follow the same trajectory.

With 5.56mm velocity makes an enormous difference in terminal performance.

Yes, different weapons fire the same round in a different speed in Arma 2. This is done by checking both the config for the ammunition as the "baseline" but then reads the config on the specific weapon, which is pre-programmed to mimic its better or worse performance, to acheive the final muzzle velocity of the physics object bullet. The arma 2 engine does not measure the barrel to find this out, but the weapons config is built to make it react in the way a longer barrel would make it.

So yes the m16a4 is better at longer ranges than the m4 BEYOND the zeroing sight ranges and BEYOND the scope types. The aksu is significantly less effective at range than the ak-74. Set up a range in the editor with these weapons. Put some targets about every 100 meters up to 1000. You will notice a large difference between the m16a4 and m4 (both use the same ammunition) and aksu v ak-74 (again both use the same ammunition). However, i find the biggest reason the full rifle is better at range is due to the zeroing range being higher on the full sized.

Ok so there's a "modification factor" in the weaponcfg? Like the bullet says my initspeed is 1100 and the M4 has a 1.0 modifier and the M16 has a 1.2 modifier? Really rough conceptually but that's what I was getting at.

Well not quite like that but hey that is a good analogy for how it works. I don't do configs but have seen them and have seen others specifically mention this config value. Talk to them for more details.

Looking through the weapons.pbo config I'm not seeing anything in the cfgammo cfgmagazines or cfgweapons that would have any effect.