Sign in to follow this  
soccerboy

Artillery Support System Package: Released

Keep going soccor boy ! I am still using your script in my missions there is nothing out there that allows AI to man the guns for me like yours does.

hello everybody,

sorry for the long MIA time, i've been taking a few breaks here and there going through ideas and thinking about how to build things that progress has slowed a bit but for the better because i'm making less mistakes now and having to rewrite things less frequent but anyways heres a new vid with a progress report again.

Youtube video:

<object width="980" height="765"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuRrreQIwk&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuRrreQIwk&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="980" height="765"></embed></object>

the above video shows how to set up the artillery in the editor and how it works in the game world.

i'm going to play the video and talk about the things i think could use a bit more detailed explaining so lets start with:

• you can see you don't group the batteries together and only use my custom modules. the BIS arty modules are still used but they are created through the initialization so i still use their scripts and modules for the shooting process. technically speaking each gun is its own battery and is treated as such.
  • each FDC module can be synched to an unlimited number of Battery Modules (haven't tested if there are any errors if you add to many to the FDC. My Personal Max is 3 batteries so far.). when sending the fire mission request to the FDC, the FDC decides which battery is best suited for the mission and forwards your request to the battery.
  • the GRID designation works either for the center of the area use 6 Digit GRID Designator or for a more precise Designation use an 8 Digit GRID. the 2 extra digits are the sub digit for each area block as illustrated in the following image:
    GRID_Designation.jpg
  • Followup Ammo is very interesting and still needs a bit of work however, i've built it so that only one gun out of the battery will execute an illumination mission and if more than 1 round is requested then it'll wait until the burn time of the previous flare expires before sending in the next for optimum illumination over an area. the other guns execute the normal ammo be it HE, Smoke, what ever.
  • the impact area is calculated as follows: target location + random offset + battery formation. each gun will have its own unique target coordinates based on its formation so if you build the battery in a V formation then the impacts could/will happen in a V form.

i'm still ironing a few things out like the glitching FDC battery selection script sometimes returns no battery which shouldn't happen. happened to me during my first version of the preview video and i have yet to figure out whats causing it.

i think thats it for now i've said alot today and gave you guys a few things to look at :).

i'm open for any questions or feedback.

thank you for your time reading/watching and have a good day/night :)

*edit*

also i forgot to mention that this is an addon for now because it uses custom modules however i will bust my head to make a script package for you guys too and hopefully i'll figure it out too. at the time the modules was the quickest and easiest way of getting the job done :)

Edited by soccerboy

great news about addon))

==

may be lag with showing battery "selection script sometimes returns no battery which shouldn't happen" accusing by thing that taking time for module initialization?? test some sleep or waituntil into script' start

I've been thinking about this lately. Great to see the video, thanks for the update!

Looks really awesome, and as a small hint:

You or Noubernou/Vigilante should get in contact with each other, since IIRC they have a similar approach for a realistic artillery to be made (or is it already in progress, i don't know it). Maybe this could save anyone of you some time.

Looks really awesome, and as a small hint:

You or Noubernou/Vigilante should get in contact with each other, since IIRC they have a similar approach for a realistic artillery to be made (or is it already in progress, i don't know it). Maybe this could save anyone of you some time.

thanks for the hint. i'll drop Noubernou a line and see whats up. :)

Very nice soccerboy, I like the current, but even more like your teaser video, especially with requiring map grid coords (I hate map click)

Does anyone know how I can add this as an option when a PRC119 radio is taken from an ammo box? Right now I have it assigned to 2 out of 15 players, (second one is redundancy), but I really want it to be provisional on the player having a PRC radio in the gear.

Follow up, used the to great effect last night in a mission on Isla Duala, FO's called in 8 grid coords to me as arty officer, I then sorted out the firemission, and kept them abreast of the battery communications.

Only issue was that when I was killed towards the end, and revived (Norrins) I lost the interface: only had the Open and Close Menu option, but thats it. I'd also put the same script into another player, but he also lost the options upon my death. I'm guessing that being able to tie this to equipment as suggested above would bypass this issue?

Follow up, used the to great effect last night in a mission on Isla Duala, FO's called in 8 grid coords to me as arty officer, I then sorted out the firemission, and kept them abreast of the battery communications.

Only issue was that when I was killed towards the end, and revived (Norrins) I lost the interface: only had the Open and Close Menu option, but thats it. I'd also put the same script into another player, but he also lost the options upon my death. I'm guessing that being able to tie this to equipment as suggested above would bypass this issue?

yeah it would. sorry for the long absence.

getting ready to move across the pond to live in the US so its getting a bit busy but i hope to at least start work on a tie to an object radio (From OA) AND a better radio simulation in a few weeks.

whats planned is the ability to set frequencies, frequency strength, basically as much relevant data from the SINGARS manual to build a convincing radio simulation. i'll post back here with a demo as soon as i start getting the user interface together for a test run.

so as of now the radio would have a higher priority than the artillery atm and i'll also build it so it can be used with other user created scripts/mods if they choose to use the simulation.

until next time in a few weeks.

take care everybody.

Thanks for the info and enjoy the move to my side of the pond! Welcome!

With ArmA2OA-BAF the SOM Artillery real or Virt not loading radio sounds.

SOM Radio problems using the SecOp Manager with Artillery. Am now only getting half the communication i.e, over, over, out, Alpha, & nothing else. makes it difficult to use.

it doesnt work for people joining in progress. When it does say say me how

it doesnt work for people joining in progress. When it does say say me how

It wont even work in the Editor since OA BAF:butbut::confused:

Hi. I really like this script but I am having a problem in multiplayer. when you respawn you lose the menu for ever. I have searched through this thread but still have no answers. Am I missing something? :confused:

sorry all, I have just seen in the options what to do, dont know how I missed that :o

Edited by LockJaw-65-

edit again because im still not getting the artilliary option after respawn in multi player? Does anybody have this problem or know how to fix. Thanks

Edited by LockJaw-65-
sorry have overlooked a previous answer

It doesn't work after BAF release I thought. I haven't tried it in a while though so I don't know for sure.