Sign in to follow this  
poitings

Wild, loose gun sway.

I'm not here just to moan but I have an issue and want to bring it up.

I just tried out the demo and the one thing that I hoped woud be changed from ArmA 1 was the ungainly way in which the gun/iron sights etc has little relation to the way you move the mouse.

For goodness sake, it's like trying to point at something with a very loose, multi jointed talbe lamp (the kind that squashes the 'i' in the Pixar anim).

No matter how I adjust the mouse in the settings I move the mouse and my gun view moves left or right and when i stop the mouse it just keeps on going until it feels like stopping. It's rediculous and impossible to aim. it was just like that in Arma 1. OpFlash was a bit bad but it was managable. Whenever I play Bohemia games i always have to grip the mouse and tense up my arm muscles so much as i fight the slackness of the gun position.

you can't tell me it's 'simulating' realism by adding an inertia effect because I can't use my strenght to stablize and besides the mouse is very light so the brain does not appreciate seeing the reaction of the on screen gun act wildly different from what it expects when it manouvers something such as a mouse which almost weighs nothing.

Other games try to put some realism in such as COD, Ghost Recon etc but they don't 'take away' from you control of your aim just to help you to pretend that the gun is heavy.

I move the mouse a bit to the left or right and the gun doesn't move for a moment, then when it does it keeps on moving after I stop. I tried this on my low end pc with all the settingson basic and i even whent to a pc cafe that has a pretty good system (here in Korea) and even with everything on normal or pretty low it's the same.

How can i play the game when i aim at an enemy and the gun view just swings past him then when i try to correct it it swings too far the other way then back again. By the time i get the ret centered on the enemy it's too late.

I played OpFlash since the demo and loved the game so i'm a fan of the legacy but since Arma I found it to be unplayable. Arma and now Arma2 have the absolute worste mouse/gun control system i've every experienced ia shooter. I don't know if it's on purpose or not but it's terrible. Go on try it, pick up a table lamp with two or three joints and loosen them up then try to swing it around and point at stuff with it. That's how it feels when I try to move the gun around. it's exhausting as the strange effect causes me to grip the mouse hard as i feel like i'm fighting with it.

Have you turned the floating zone to minimum?

What framerate do you get whilst playing?

Is your mouse laser or ball?

Those 3 options will make an enormous difference to the aiming.

What are you talking about? My crosshairs stop on a dime.

I find the aiming very precise as matter of fact.

This person may have to lower his graphics settings. It sounds like he may have a low frame-rate problem.

Sounds like performance problems to me.

There is an issue that the game seems to force "mouse acceleration" to be on whether you want it or not. So if you move the mouse quickly, the mouse will move faster and further than if you moved the mouse the same distance but at a slower speed.

Besides that though, the view is very smooth, and if it's sticky, that's because your settings are too high for the performance of the PC. The game is a major performance drag, even on my recently high end PC (8800GTX and C2D @ 3.4Ghz) the game is extremely slow. I can barely run it at normal settings, and high settings make it unplayable. I dread to think what you would need to play it with very high settings.

To me it sounds like your problem is that, a performance problem. If I lower the settings sufficiently, it runs smooth on my PC, although it doesn't look as good.

This person may have to lower his graphics settings. It sounds like he may have a low frame-rate problem.

Negative. He's just another user suffering from the mouse lag BUG.

Negative. He's just another user suffering from the mouse lag BUG.

Or someone that doesn't know how to change his settings like head bob and deadzone/floatzone

Guys, don't be childish and get off your macho realism thing. half a brain cell will tell you that I didnt mean COD is realistic but it's at least more so than UT or Quake games. I was trying to get at the point that the cross hairs should respond exactly as you input movement through the mouse. In this there doesnt need to be a difference between any games from Arma to GR to COD to CS to Quake3. If you can swing your mouse around and the gun lags becuase it wants to remind you that it is heavy then it takes you out of the ' being there ' experience and you end up in the 'the game is now describing what it would be like to be there' territory. There is no real realism in shooter games there is just things that make you 'feel' it's more real.

All I'm saying is that the mouse/gun thing is very unweildly. I have turned every single setting off, distance to minimum, i've messed with the mouse and if i put it at zero it hardly moves so i have to have the two bars at half way to get the correct hand movement to gun movement ratio but the problem is that its not representitive.

Is mouose acceleration programed in? if it is then that's stupid. I hate mouse accel more than anything, even in interfaces.

My home system is old but the one i played in the pc cafe was dual core intel 1.86 gig with a decend graphics card etc. Even then i turned everything down way low and still got arm ache from the brain feeling like it's constantly wrestling with some heavy, unweildly gun. It's the reason I stopped playing Arma and went back to OpFlash.

Try to keep the macho/childish responses to a minium kids, adults are talking here.

Sounds like your DPS is too high and your trying to spin on a six pence, which can't be done in Military Simulations.

Ok, tell people off for their opinions, and then state you're being an adult when your opinion is that mouse acceleration (if that is what it really is) is 'stupid'.. great example.

On topic: not to start the whole Lag issue again as it was posted not to, look into the troubleshooting section for the 'input lag' issue if that is representative of what you are seeing. And take note that there are several people with pretty much the same system, that both have and do not have the issue. How can that be if they are all playing the same game? I have no issues with either input, nor mouse accel, type lag on a moderate system. (phenom X3 oc to 2.75, ati3850) If what HOPEnSPIRIT said is true, than top speed may indeed be capped.

Playing on a 1.86 dual core? If that's the case it just means the system isn't up to it. If I turn the settings up all the way on my pc and place myself in a rich environment (f.e. Chernagorsk) it will feel like I am moving in slow motion.

@SCRUB Pretty much the same isn't exactly the same and even systems with the same specs will not be equal due to slight mfg. differences. Then most people do not realize what items could be bottlenecking the system. Sure you got 4Gb of RAM but what is the bus speed?, speed of your HDD, whats on that HDD, RAID or no?,drivers, background software, OS, etc etc etc. All of those things have an effect on game performance, sandbox games are particularly finicky. This is why there is so much variation in performance of 'similair' systems.

Personally I have no sympathy for people that play the game with systems lower then the required specs and then complain about how horribly the game performs and complain about the game and its developers. For those with recommended specs and higher, they have a right to gripe but often I find the issues are on their end and it is difficult to pinpoint. In this latter case, I say it because I am speaking from experience and not out of callousness.

If there was no mouse acceleration you would either have serious trouble aiming accurately being too fast or it would take half an hour to turn around being too slow. Standard mouse accuracy may be enough for the 90+ degree field of view games like UT, but it ain't enough for this game.

Plus you get alot of sway/ lag if you run all of the time. Simulating labored breathing and fatigue. Cool feature. So don't expect to sprint 100m and then perfectly aim an M24.

Playing on a 1.86 dual core? If that's the case it just means the system isn't up to it. If I turn the settings up all the way on my pc and place myself in a rich environment (f.e. Chernagorsk) it will feel like I am moving in slow motion.

@SCRUB Pretty much the same isn't exactly the same and even systems with the same specs will not be equal due to slight mfg. differences. Then most people do not realize what items could be bottlenecking the system. Sure you got 4Gb of RAM but what is the bus speed?, speed of your HDD, whats on that HDD, RAID or no?,drivers, background software, OS, etc etc etc. All of those things have an effect on game performance, sandbox games are particularly finicky. This is why there is so much variation in performance of 'similair' systems.

Personally I have no sympathy for people that play the game with systems lower then the required specs and then complain about how horribly the game performs and complain about the game and its developers. For those with recommended specs and higher, they have a right to gripe but often I find the issues are on their end and it is difficult to pinpoint. In this latter case, I say it because I am speaking from experience and not out of callousness.

Oh I totally get what you are saying, and believe I agree with all of it, FPS and such :). But for major issues, same setups, boards, CPU, GPU... I'm having a hard time believing it's the games fault when one has the problem and one doesn't. Only my uneducated opinion based off of over a decade of industrial controls engineering. When two completely identical SCADA systems are using the same logic and one has errors while the other is fine, it's usually wiring, or config. Either way the install team does not quite have something set right. I'm sure it would behoove BIS to make Arma II less touchy, but it is a beast.. Again an opinion, nothing more.