Sign in to follow this  
masterkrovel

Carrier landing

Hi, probably a silly question but how can I make the AI land helos/jets on the carrier? I tried creating a H-pad object, but that didn't seem to make any diffrence. The AI just stops and hovers some distance away.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

mk :)

You could try moving the AI directly over it and then use flyInHeight to make them land, that may atleast help with helos.

Aside from that and especially for the jets I doubt you can convince the AI to do it on their own. Only solution i see here would be to let an script take control of the aircraft/chopper when they're supposed to land.

Landing Autopilot wouldn't work on the carrier anyway. It's too small for one (either you'll roll off the end of the deck or hit the island), and it's above ground (or in this case, sea) level. It's gonna take a completely different method to get AI to land on the carrier.

Hmm, that's a shame. Would be really cool to have all the joys of carrier operations in the game. That and have an AI that didn't walk off the sides of the deck :rolleyes: oh well, maybe one day.. Thanks for the suggestions anyways :D

Well its not impossible, but it would require quite a bit of scripting work.

That still doesn't change the fact that it's physically too small to land anything other than small, vertical/short landing aircraft, unless you simulate an arrester wire, though I'm not even sure if such vessels are equipped with arrester wires IRL.

Have you actually tried landing on it without using vertical landing?

could setup a trigger that setvvelocity to 0 or around that.

Well all the jets that we have in Arma2 are capable of landing on a carrier, except for the A10. Oh and im not sure about the frogfoot... guess that one can't do it either.

Anyway, landing without vtol/arrest wires is possible but really tricky.

But in that case i wouldn't even see much use in it to have the AI do that.

I mean when would we need an AI to land on the carrier if not for some kind of transport-mission ?

I know it would be possible, but it seems like the LHD is just not designed to handle non-vertical landings. Anyone here who knows something about LHD operations want to comment? I know it's only capable of launching vertical/short take-off aircraft, but it seems impossible for it to recover aircraft without vertical landing.

Well AFAIK that is exacly what they do. I know that the british carrieres use harriers that take off using the "jump" on the bow, and land more or less like a chopper. I assume the F-35's do something similar. But the LHD is mostly uses choppers.

I am pretty newbish when it comes to scripting, does anyone have a idea on what sort of script I would have to use to have a chopper land on the carrier deck?

thanks!

Move chopper over position then use flyInHeight. Probably the only way to get effective results. As for the height value to use, 0 might work although I noticed that using flyInHeight they come down pretty fast and tend to slam into the ground (or deck in this case) a bit hard, so maybe try a value just above the flight deck, wait for him to stop decending, then use flyInHeight 0. That might result in a softer landing.

Well all the jets that we have in Arma2 are capable of landing on a carrier, except for the A10. Oh and im not sure about the frogfoot... guess that one can't do it either.

Yes, and all that leaves are VOTL/STOVL aircraft (F35 and AV8). As for the other aircraft, C130 is obviously too large, as well as the Pradator, who's wingspan is too long to clear the island. And the MV22 can only land vertically. I'm fairly certain now that only vertical landings are performed on these ships IRL, since all of the Marine aircraft are capable of doing so.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Yes, and all that leaves are VOTL/STOVL aircraft (F35 and AV8)

No, it actualy also leaves the SU29 which has an arrestor hook and is therefor capable of landing on carriers. ;)

Well, it doesn't matter anyway. I am 99% sure that LHD ships are only supposed to launch rotory-wing and V/STOL aircraft, so regular landing wouldn't even be a realistic scenario (and pretty difficult to do anyway).

how about the one where u can set in the addon landing speed? could that affect the solution to problem?

I am using the placeable LHD by Myke.

This is what I got going on:

LHD named : ChestyPuller

Helo named : AH4LHD9

I have an invisible H object named "LZ4" placed on the deck of the LHD. I put this in the init line - this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, 15.9]

Ok I figured that this would best be done by script, so I made a script named "LHDLanding.sqs", which is telling the helo to fly to the ChestyPuller. Then I want it to move to the marker and land on the invisible H that is placed over the marker.

so this is my script so far:

;LHDLanding

_chestypuller = chestypuller

_lhd9 = getPos _chestypuller

_ah4lhd9 = AH4LHD9

_lz4lhd9 = getMarkerPos LZ4LHD9

[AH4LHD9, 0] setWPPos getMarkerPos "LHD9"

[AH4LHD9, 0] setWaypointBehaviour "AWARE"

[AH4LHD9, 0] setWaypointCombatMode "GREEN"

[AH4LHD9, 0] setWaypointSpeed "FULL"

AH4LHD9 move getMarkerPos "LHD9"

AH4LHD9 move getMarkerPos "LZ4LHD9"

[AH4LHD9, 1] setWPPos getMarkerPos "LZ4LHD9"

[AH4LHD9, 1] setWaypointType "SUPPORT"

[AH4LHD9, 1] setWaypointBehaviour "AWARE"

[AH4LHD9, 1] setWaypointCombatMode "GREEN"

[AH4LHD9, 1] setWaypointSpeed "LIMITED"

AH4LHD9 move getMarkerPos "LZ4LHD9"

I cannot get the helo to land on anything.. it seems the "LAND" command is not working.... any suggestions?

this is not possible ATM unless someone comes out with a FSM or script that will make the AI do so..

I was talking about IRL. In game you can do whatever you want if you can script it.

Btw, this is a fairly old thread to dig up just to post that... :j:

Well, since the LHD is made up of multiple pieces maybe it could be expanded into aircraft carrier size at least length-wise.