Sign in to follow this  
skoiboy

Voice through headset, and headset recommendation

All,

Is there a way to have the voice chat in the game come over a headset and the sound on speakers? Also, if so what headset/mic combo would you recommend? Ideally something like a phone headset...low profile.

This is a possible thing which I do by accident once.

It was with vista when my audio do not work. There is the control in playback properties for exclusive control and it was unticked

then I had the voiceon headfones with microsoft messenger but the game noises were still on speakers

apologies for my english since my GF is not here or she fixes my sayings well

benito

I use this headset... not sure if its what you're looking for but its VERY light and works great!

B

The one I use is the Plantronics AC370, a superb headset. It's got a suspended head band and large, soft, around the ear earpieces so it's virtually weightless on your head/ears.

My main problem with it is the boommike loses it's tension and falls to the bottom position. This isn't that big of a problem since it's sound pickup is so superb people can still hear you clearly even though the mic is down by your neck rather than your mouth, but it's happened with two of these so far.

Sound quality is excellent, even better than my normal speakers and 3D sound works great. I also use Track-IR attached to the side, and it works flawlessly.

Here's a review:

http://www.mrgadget.com.au/2007/09/plantronics-audio-370-stereo-gaming.html

You can buy an external port switch. See link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-PC-Headset-Speaker-Switch/dp/B000069E1V

I velcro'd the switch to my case. I plugged my speaker cable into the speaker port and my headset mic/line in and it lets me toggle between my headset and my speakers.

When I want to use my headset mic but listen through my speakers, I just switch the plugs around. Hope that helps.

I like McSpeedfreak's solution.

My old rig had two sound cards and I'd run Vent thru the onboard card and game sounds thru the second card. It added a bit of immersion having only radio comms come over the headset.

I'm currently running a USB Creative HS-1000. It's a very good sounding headset and quality mic sound, but it's drivers shut down my onboard sound card when it's plugged in and I've found no way around that. I was hoping to be able to set it up with only comms over the headset, but no joy.

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/home/cordless-phone-headsets/mx500i

This is my current headset. It's the weirdest thing having your mic "hang" from your ear instead of sitting on your head. It's a beautiful setup though, and I can unplug the main mic cable from the USB adapter, then use it on my 360 instead of the standard mic.

A question that has not been answered here is whether the game can be made to work with comms on a USB headset while game sounds are over the speakers. I mentioned this is in the 1.03 patch suggestions and I think that it is very important.

A question that has not been answered here is whether the game can be made to work with comms on a USB headset while game sounds are over the speakers.

If you mean the in-game VOIP comms?......I doubt that would be possible. While in-game voices and comms are on there own channel, the game (application) outputs to only a single device (thus you'd have a hard time splitting things up like that). As long as the game comms are actually part of the game itself, BIS would literally have to design an audio control panel that allowed for multiple devices (I can't actully think of any game offhand that has that for internal comms).

You could have mutilple applications going to multiple devices/soundcards (ie: Teamspeak to one sound device and ArmA to another device).

Whether that works with certain USB headsets (sadly) depends on the drivers (my Creatives won't allow for it).

Edited by Thirdup

Thirdup, I have no idea if this applies to Arma2 but FSX does support seperate comms through the mike and sounds through the speakers.

You need two sound cards to do this apparently.

I've never tried this myself so I can not speak for USB compatability w/ headphones.

If you mean the in-game VOIP comms?......I doubt that would be possible.

iRacing does this as well, and it's such a benefit to have voice comm from other drivers, as well as your spotter/crew chief barking in your ear, separate from the engine sounds over the speaker. Otherwise, it's a real challenge to try and balance everything over the speakers so you can hear clearly (actually, it's damn near impossible).

In the ingame settings, you simply tell the game what device you want to use for main game sounds, and what device to use for voice comm and spotter.

I would love to see this feature in ARMA2

I use Sennheiser PC 150 headset, works great, and pretty comfortable for long periods.

I use Sennheiser Pc 350 but I really miss good bass, even though this headset is really good at high range. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it.

iRacing does this as well <snip>In the ingame settings, you simply tell the game what device you want to use for main game sounds, and what device to use for voice comm and spotter.

Good to hear there's a few games out there doing this (for users with multiple devices). But I'm still pretty sure impossible to configure it in the current version of the game (using the in-game comms, at least). The entire ARMA2 audio package would need to be re-engineered to allow for multiple devices.

As I said, it already can be done using a 3rd-party comms application (like Vent or Teamspeak).

It still would be a nice addition for those who use on in-game comms AND who have multiple sound cards/output devices

iRacing is great a this. I love having comms and spotter on my headset as described above.