Sign in to follow this  
SlyBelle

Helicopter Speed - What am I doing wrong?

Trying to learn how to fly the helicopter (flying is not my strong suit) and using an X52 stick. I mapped all the keys to the joystick. However, I can't figure out how to get speed. At most, my top speed is 15 with me pushing the joystick forward. However if I use the keyboard 'w', I can get a tone more speed. Am I missing something? I really want to play with the joystick, but I have to figure this out.

Any help would be appreciated.

you saying you cannot pitch the heli's nose down enough to gain more speed with your joystick? Even with the throttle at max?

Yep, that is exactly my problem. I put throttle high and pitch down and the max I get is 15. If i press the 'w' key instead it does what is expected.

How about turning off the autohover function.

Make sure there aren't any conflicting key settings, when I set up my joystick it was a pain in the ass because stuff kept conflicting. One other possibility is you might have turned on auto-hover...

Can you bind the w to the stick forword ?

I tried that no luck. Just curious, is there possibly any existing X52 profiles anywhere I might be able to use instead of my own? It is very possible I'm messing something up myself, just don't know.

hmmm

+1

Make sure there aren't any conflicting key settings, when I set up my joystick it was a pain in the ass because stuff kept conflicting. One other possibility is you might have turned on auto-hover...

That is possible. I will check that. However, wouldn't you expect the same to happen with me pressing the 'w' key? Or does the 'w' key do something more?

lol, that didn't even cross my mind to ask him. Forgot people still used that.

Autohover looks to be the issue.......but boy do I still stink at flying this thing. I can't keep a level flight for the life of me....gonna need a ton of practice.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Sly, have you flown in ArmA1? It's changed a little but not entirely different. Take things slow at first, practicing hovering over a small area, doing low flight. Make sure you framerate is good before you fly, as stutters will cause some nasty crashes.

I have saitek x52 also but I'm not having that issues...calibrate is the only thing I can think of.

To have an even flight all you need to do is either keep the helicopter even or have the nose tipped down juuust a bit, pending on helicopter, Mi-8 for example works best even whereas the UH-1Y works best with the nose dipped down some.

A good way to practice is to fire up the mission editor on any map, plop yourself into a helo, and put a few H's around (Side: empty, Category: objects) in suitable spots. Starting from an airfield is good, put an H on the runway or somewhere easy to land on. Once you're good at that, get progressively trickier - putting them next to trees and such so your margin for error is smaller.

Once you're good at landing you'll have developed a reasonable set of control skills for the aircraft. It's also a good idea to practice hovering manually (i.e. without enabling the autohover) - helps you learn the center position of the ship you're flying and learn to control it using small movements and avoiding overcontrolling.

What do you guys leave your axis senstivity settings at? I find the default a bit too sluggish, so leave them at about 60-70%, with throttle higher.