Sign in to follow this  
Surge72

Difference between an Addon and a Mod?

Hi all,

I have a simple question.

What is the difference between an 'addon' and a 'mod'? Would a mission come under the heading of a 'mod', perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

Mod if it modifies an already existing stuff in the game (effects, anims etc). Addon if it adds something new (units, weapons etc).

Edited by tpM

Thanks for the quick and straight forward reply :).

Much appreciated.

That's one person's opinion, not the law.

I personally define a mod as a collection of new human models, vehicles, aircraft etc with a new GUI, effects, scripting, sounds and campaign.

An addon to me is a collection of new human models, vehicles or aircraft (or a mix). Sometimes it has new possibilities, like transporting cargo (like the BAS CH-47 in OFP). Addons often come with a sample mission or two, but rarely with an extended campaign.

Then there are the total conversions (that term is not used very often in this community) that alter virtually every aspect of the game, and often even change the period of time in which the "game" takes place.

Addons are more limited in scope than mods, and mods are more limited than total conversions. That still is only a general description, since some addons contain more content than some mods, and some mods lack content that is often associated with a mod (like a campaign).

Edited by JdB

A mod is composed of addons, etc. towards a single theme. For example, I44 is a mod composed of Infantry and vehicle addons and other things. Addons are called addons because they must go in a directory called 'Addons' for them to work in the game engine. The directory called ArmA\Addons, for example, contains all of the information for all of the units in ArmA.

a pretty good question.

For game objects it seams quite clear as you modify existing or add new.

For missions and effects it is more complicated. If you "add" new effects that appear also in existing missions you "modify" the game. Adding a new campain using addons is usualy called "mod" as you change the gameplay.

So the difference between "Addon" and "Mods" depends on what is added/modified. I would say the previous posters do not contradict as they are talking about different sides of the game.

I suggest you forget what I'm writing as I miss the point myself ;)

QuietMan

What is the difference between an 'addon' and a 'mod'? Would a mission come under the heading of a 'mod', perhaps?

'Mod' makes it sound like you did more work.

'Mod' makes it sound like you did more work.

You'd have to make a pretty substantial addonpack to match what most mod teams have put in their mods. That's another trait of mods, you typically need more people to make them.

A mod(ifcation) is a collection of add(iti)ons made work well together.

Hence the reason for what I said.

Ah, I thought you meant it sarcastically :p

Modding is a contraction of modifying. It's definition is not changed. Mod is jargon, and has a specialized definition.

Modding mods is called copyright infringement :p