Sign in to follow this  
rusky25

ArmA II Random Lockup

Yep, Im getting these too, random total freeze with ARMA2, I would add though that I have had a similar issue in COD4 but ramping up the fan on my 2x GTX260's solved that one for me, same with Crysis, I can run that very high at high res and have zero problems with freezing. Last night I was running my fans at 80% ( its hot here anyway) and they showed a stable temp below 60C, well within the limits but still got a freeze about 10 mins into a game.

Something is definately odd about this. I am suspecting issues with my quad core getting hot, but by the time I can reboot ( a matter of 10 secs) and check the temps, it all appears normal.

Totally Frustrating. :(

Thoses that are locking up or crashing or BSOD

If you are OC'ing, have you tried running the game @ stock speeds and then tried the game ?

Also, for BSOD what are the dump messages (and address) from the Blue screen ?

For crashes etc, what are the event log messages ?

Mine is at stock, both CPU and GPU. It can crash after 1min or run for an hour, it can crash with just the player unit on the small Island after a minute or let me play several battles for an hour before crashing either to desktop or a complete freeze. I've had settings high and low, I've replaced drivers and defraged , I've increased the page file and removed the page file and it still does exactly the same thing over and over.

My specs are virtually the same as the recommended optimal settings the only difference is the CPU which is a 4800+x2 at 2.4 stock speed slightly above spec.

If it carn't run for more than a minute standing on the runway with no AI and settings on low it's pathetic.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Yep, Im getting these too, random total freeze with ARMA2, I would add though that I have had a similar issue in COD4 but ramping up the fan on my 2x GTX260's solved that one for me, same with Crysis, I can run that very high at high res and have zero problems with freezing. Last night I was running my fans at 80% ( its hot here anyway) and they showed a stable temp below 60C, well within the limits but still got a freeze about 10 mins into a game.

Something is definately odd about this. I am suspecting issues with my quad core getting hot, but by the time I can reboot ( a matter of 10 secs) and check the temps, it all appears normal.

Totally Frustrating. :(

My temps were well under specified limits after 10mins with a battle going on and as I can have a crash within that time period I carn't see it being related to temp.

In fact I had my longest uptime yesterday 1hr 10mins and it was also the hottest day of the year here.

yea i notice when im playing arma 2 my fans are spinning like crazy and my gpu and cpu is extracting alot of heat i can feel it. But still..

It's still because of FUCKED UP GAME CODE. If they did it right, that wouldn't happen

This is so fucking frustrating, i cant begin to say how mad i am about buying this game, and too actually think of supporting BIS bastards, they care nothing of the gamers and consumers who buy there products only with how much money they can now stuff up there ass. Sorry if that rant broke any rules. Just extremely mad beyond belief right now.

Rant over.

confirmed the game freezes, mostly it seems when "map" is selected, and you a commander or trying to issue orders in MAP veiw.

another freeze tends to happen when you in a vehicle and then use map to give orders ect and it freezes then.

I had a dream today that while playing ArmA 2 my computer froze and smoke was coming out of my system unit :confused: Crap, this lockups are haunting me even when i sleep :butbut:

It's still because of FUCKED UP GAME CODE. If they did it right, that wouldn't happen

Doesn't happen to me and many many other people. So I guess it's not the game code. What could be helpful is if you put your specs here, driver versions, etc.

This is so fucking frustrating, i cant begin to say how mad i am about buying this game, and too actually think of supporting BIS bastards, they care nothing of the gamers and consumers who buy there products only with how much money they can now stuff up there ass. Sorry if that rant broke any rules. Just extremely mad beyond belief right now.

Rant over.

YES THAT'S HOW BIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN. BIS have always supported and kept releasing patches for their games well after their inital release. So name one developer that releases a patch for a game 3 years after it's inital release. It's a very short list isn't it?

Also, relax, it's JUST a game. It's not the end all drug of your life.

Doesn't happen to me and many many other people. So I guess it's not the game code. What could be helpful is if you put your specs here, driver versions, etc.

YES THAT'S HOW BIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN. BIS have always supported and kept releasing patches for their games well after their inital release. So name one developer that releases a patch for a game 3 years after it's inital release. It's a very short list isn't it?

Also, relax, it's JUST a game. It's not the end all drug of your life.

you are right, but they are right too. im sure about that BI will polish the game. but atm its almost unplayable for a lot of ppl (tbh the campaign is just a total crap. i cant play it anymore, because if i want to save (just after load up a save game or later, doesnt matter) i just got a CTD, without an error msg or with cannot commit, out of memory, virtual memory block address, etc).

its more then annoying in a retail game, but its ok in a beta.

they should release a bug bashing patch asap (im sure they are on it, but now, im going to put the dvd into the box and just put the box to the shelf).

i not very good with computers but i do think this is a bad mistake i also have random freezes, but i want to know can my computer run it

my specs:

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 3070MB RAM

Page File: 1177MB used, 5163MB available

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Display Memory: 2289 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (61Hz)

if you need anymore information to tell just ask and i will find it thnx.

just been playing again, im still getting the odd freeze up now and then , screen freezes and the sound replays over and over , can't end task, and so i have to reboot my system with the reset button

another weird thing

i have 2 computers one for work and another for games ArmA2 wont work on the gaming computer but works brilliantly on the work computer try it maybe it will work for you guys to.

another weird thing

i have 2 computers one for work and another for games ArmA2 wont work on the gaming computer but works brilliantly on the work computer try it maybe it will work for you guys to.

i don't see how any of this would work, not everyone has a work computer, plus i expect to run it on my desktop which i built solely for arma 2..

Just Wondering, but what vers is everyone running? I got impatient and bought the german version before the release in euro and north america. These lockups they're not just exclusive to the german versions are they?

Ok. This thing drove me mental for a long time but I finally came up with a workaround that works for me.

I have a pretty good rig as it is and from testing ARMA 2 on multiple machines with with different hardware, I've narrowed the problem down to the graphics card. From reading various threads around the interwebs it seems that most if not all people experiencing this problem are nVidia card users (I have a 8800GT).

Anyway, onto the workaround. I simply manually underclock the graphics card's core and memory bus speeds and increase the fan speed to 100%. I do this by opening the NVIDIA Control Panel (right click on desktop) then open "Adjust GPU settings" under the "performance" tab. I change my default core bus speed from 650 to 600 and the memory bus from 950 to 900. Then slide the fan speed up to 100%

I'm no expert but by doing this I havn't recieve a single BSOD after hours of playing. I know it's a pretty shitty solution that shouldn't need to be done.

Once you've finished playing ARMA, simply revert your changes to default.

If this works for others or if anyone is able to improve on it, please post here and give your results and feedback.

I hope this is helpful.

Keanez

Thanks Keanez, I wish that worked, for a bit it seemed like it did, played for about an hour and a half, then same lock-up. I'm running 2 9800 GTX+ and i underclocked them to the same value you gave, but it just bought me some time.

Great, BIS, you just lost another customer! I'm not going going to buy your screwed-up game, because you don't give a shit 'bout our problems.

EDIT: Oh well, maybe i'll buy it...

Edited by Nickos

I also forgot to mention, although my PC seems to be able run the game on reletively high settings smoothly, to avoid the BSOD I have to drop the settings down to the medium range.

It took me a while and many freeze ups tweaking the settings to find the best quality without the PC freezing up.

I just wish more people were having this problem then it might force BIS into looking at it. As it is, I don't think they really give a shit. I have seen NOTHING from them regarding this problem, they have not even acknoledged that it is an issue.

Play around with your graphics settiings in game and follow that method I posted above and see if you can come up with some decent results. Like I said, I spent quite a lot of time getting this piece of shit to work ;-)

Edited by keanez

I also forgot to mention, although my PC seems to be able run the game on reletively high settings smoothly, to avoid the BSOD I have to drop the settings down to the medium range.

It took me a while and many freeze ups tweaking the settings to find the best quality without the PC freezing up.

I just wish more people were having this problem then it might force BIS into looking at it. As it is, I don't think they really give a shit. I have seen NOTHING from them regarding this problem, they have not even acknoledged that it is an issue.

Play around with your graphics settiings in game and follow that method I posted above and see if you can come up with some decent results. Like I said, I spent quite a lot of time getting this piece of shit to work ;-)

I would'nt call it a piece of shit, it is a good game IMHO, but just the game has been badly coded and optimized, and not everyone is going to get a good experience with the game at all. I am still having problems and ive tweaked and changed alot of settings, changed settings on my hardware and tried different drivers. Nothing works..

some people have been PMing me regarding on this issue and blaming it on my system rather saying that its the games fault and stating that i have nothing else better to do rather than blame the game on its end, i never ever stated it was the games fault completely, but what i was trying to say is that i am having problems only with arma 2 and im experiencing these issues only with ARMA 2 << , and i would like them to be resolved.

Ok. This thing drove me mental for a long time but I finally came up with a workaround that works for me.

I have a pretty good rig as it is and from testing ARMA 2 on multiple machines with with different hardware, I've narrowed the problem down to the graphics card. From reading various threads around the interwebs it seems that most if not all people experiencing this problem are nVidia card users (I have a 8800GT).

Anyway, onto the workaround. I simply manually underclock the graphics card's core and memory bus speeds and increase the fan speed to 100%. I do this by opening the NVIDIA Control Panel (right click on desktop) then open "Adjust GPU settings" under the "performance" tab. I change my default core bus speed from 650 to 600 and the memory bus from 950 to 900. Then slide the fan speed up to 100%

I'm no expert but by doing this I havn't recieve a single BSOD after hours of playing. I know it's a pretty shitty solution that shouldn't need to be done.

Once you've finished playing ARMA, simply revert your changes to default.

If this works for others or if anyone is able to improve on it, please post here and give your results and feedback.

I hope this is helpful.

Keanez

what happens if when you right click and open the control panel there isn't a performance tab??

EDIT: i am also running a 8800GT