Sign in to follow this  
rusky25

ArmA II Random Lockup

if you have been suffering from the computer freezing up, could you please try running with the -winxp switch on the shortcut, to see if that helps. I have been able to play the game for a couple of hours straight for the first time after trying that.

tg

if you have been suffering from the computer freezing up, could you please try running with the -winxp switch on the shortcut, to see if that helps. I have been able to play the game for a couple of hours straight for the first time after trying that.

tg

Ok im going to try that thanks!

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

k nope didn't work

ok i've been testing it all day and these are the results:

im running a 8800GT

very high 3-4 hours starts getting a little laggy at the beginning of the 3rd

high 5-7 hours as before getting laggy at 5

normal 10+ didn't effect at all didn't go on past this because i wont be playing it that long at once.

EDIT:

once you have run it for so long say 4 hours on very high then it restarts the computer will freeze straight away after restart

Edited by happygharry

sorry for spam but would like to say a huge thank you to keanez as now i can play the game properly :)

thank you very much and i advise his method for any1 else having this problem with a NVIDEA 8800GT

i managed to downclock my cpu by 50mhz ,and so far the game has been stable which is a bad odd. But im waiting to see another BSOD,Freeze/Lock Up.

freezes/lockups here too. This is the only game I have that freezes.

This is also happening to me and is extremely frustrating, I'm getting a freeze with sound still going which is rebooting my pc.... I tried stock speed for my CPU and although it took a little longer it still did it.

GTX295/Q9550 @ 3.4ghz/8gigs of ram/Vista64

Let me add that I actually have dual monitors and have been monitoring my temps while playing the game, temps seem fine both for my cpu and gpu. I've tried case open and fan ramped up, and It didn't seem to help much.

Edited by chlywly

I too am having the random freeze ups, I'm running the steam version in Vista 32 bit with a 9800GT 1Gb Video card. Its frustrating because I have to hit the reset button on the computer to get out of it, no other game I have does this.

Ok. This thing drove me mental for a long time but I finally came up with a workaround that works for me.

I have a pretty good rig as it is and from testing ARMA 2 on multiple machines with with different hardware, I've narrowed the problem down to the graphics card. From reading various threads around the interwebs it seems that most if not all people experiencing this problem are nVidia card users (I have a 8800GT).

Anyway, onto the workaround. I simply manually underclock the graphics card's core and memory bus speeds and increase the fan speed to 100%. I do this by opening the NVIDIA Control Panel (right click on desktop) then open "Adjust GPU settings" under the "performance" tab. I change my default core bus speed from 650 to 600 and the memory bus from 950 to 900. Then slide the fan speed up to 100%

I'm no expert but by doing this I havn't recieve a single BSOD after hours of playing. I know it's a pretty shitty solution that shouldn't need to be done.

Once you've finished playing ARMA, simply revert your changes to default.

If this works for others or if anyone is able to improve on it, please post here and give your results and feedback.

I hope this is helpful.

Keanez

You sir, can marry me. I will change my sexual preference for you. Thanks you so much for the suggestion i can now play the game, so far no crashes.

Edited by rusky25

Give keanez a fucking medal!!! He's a beautiful human being and I mean that. BIS should employ you as you have single handedly done more for the vast majority of users than BIS.

Well done buddy, we all owe you one.

Stu

Weird,didn't happened before but today I had the game freeze two times with sound going,had to reset the pc.

Yea, it's pretty sweet that we can get some help even if it isn't from BIS ppl. The "fix" works for me as well but I have to turn all of the settings to normal. It will be nice when I can play the game to my comp's true ability.

I'm glad this has worked for others. Judging by the lack of recent replies in this thread I suppose quite a few people have had success using the "fix".

I have noticed more threads being created with people having the same issue though as this thread gets burried into oblivion.

So... bump bump, up you go!

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Oh, and BIS. Please do something about this. It's obviously the game that's causing this to happen, not faulty hardware.

12 pages long and still no official word on the matter.

You guys are awesome...

My game has been pretty smooth since I installed it yesterday. But after I upgraded the driver for my GTX 295 from 185.85 to 186.18 + SLI patch today, I 've been constantly annoyed by the BSOD which happens randomly when I am playing training missions. Have you guys using GTX 295 encountered this problem?

Update:

It's the Core i7 920. ArmA 2 is more demanding than 3DMark Vantage. I've reset the bios to default and was able to run the game without any problem. I'll try raising the vcore to see whether I can eliminate the BSOD.

Edited by jermin
update

There seems to be many causes but the most common seems to be overheating, so increasing ventilation or underclocking should help.

As for the drivers, there's a good chance that they're automatically controlling the fan on the card and slowing it too much, try manually setting the fan speed using a program like ATiTool (works for nvidia too)

I see keanez fix has worked for a few people but they need to lower there graphics settings to play. First i would like to thank him and everyone who is taking the time to try and fix the problem.

I think i will wait and pray for a patch to fix the problem though. I think it is BS that i need to lower my settings to play the game half as well as i should beable to play it.

I have played Arma II for 3-4 Hours with no problems(Good FPS and Outstanding Graphics). I exited the game for awhile and came back to play a few hours later. After about 20-30min of gameplay it locked up but the sound was still going. It happens everytime i try to play now.

I was playingwith all settings on high with no problems for the first 3-4 hours and For some reason it keeps freezing now though.

I got this new system for Arma II and other new games coming out in the future.

Intel® Core™ i7 920 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E )

6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module Corsair or Major Brand )

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )

And i am using windows 7

Once again thanks to everyone trying to fix the problem. There have been a new trend of games being released unplayable. I wonder what happens from final beta testing to release that screws them up soooo bad.

Edited by cchcain

It's usually dead lines that screw them. They make a publish deadline and if it's not ready they can either release it bugged or get sued. I hate the gaming industry but it's a necessary evil.

I'm glad this has worked for others. Judging by the lack of recent replies in this thread I suppose quite a few people have had success using the "fix".

I have noticed more threads being created with people having the same issue though as this thread gets burried into oblivion.

So... bump bump, up you go!

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Oh, and BIS. Please do something about this. It's obviously the game that's causing this to happen, not faulty hardware.

12 pages long and still no official word on the matter.

You guys are awesome...

The other reason people might not be posting is that they no longer care, I haven't been posting as I've said enough and I'm messing about in the editor.

I've yet to try a single mission other than two of the training ones, that was enough to put me off at least until then next patch turns up.

Just because it's quiet doesn't mean the problem has gone away but the people may have.

I see keanez fix has worked for a few people but they need to lower there graphics settings to play. First i would like to thank him and everyone who is taking the time to try and fix the problem.

I think i will wait and pray for a patch to fix the problem though. I think it is BS that i need to lower my settings to play the game half as well as i should beable to play it.

I have played Arma II for 3-4 Hours with no problems(Good FPS and Outstanding Graphics). I exited the game for awhile and came back to play a few hours later. After about 20-30min of gameplay it locked up but the sound was still going. It happens everytime i try to play now.

I was playingwith all settings on high with no problems for the first 3-4 hours and For some reason it keeps freezing now though.

I got this new system for Arma II and other new games coming out in the future.

Intel® Core™ i7 920 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E )

6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module Corsair or Major Brand )

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )

And i am using windows 7

Once again thanks to everyone trying to fix the problem. There have been a new trend of games being released unplayable. I wonder what happens from final beta testing to release that screws them up soooo bad.

I don't want to alarm you but you should be aware that I had to RMA my new Asus motherboard (Ramage II GENE) yesterday because of that exact problem. Partial lockup, not just in Arma2 but randomly doing anything. Sometimes it would last an entire evening, sometimes it would lock after 2 mins of being on the desktop.

Initially I was unable to add all 12GB of my RAM because slot A2 caused the reported memory to go ape whenever a DIMM was stuck into it. So, I kept only three sticks of RAM in slots A1, B1 and C1, 6GB in total for Triple Channel and then had all these problems with partial lockups.

New mobo delivered today. With all the other components exactly the same, is currently doing a Memtest and so far hasn't reported any errors or problems with DIMMs in all 6 slots, successfully reporting 12GB RAM.

The reason why i'm posting this is that you say your system is new. As was mine (delivered and built Tuesday).

I have not had any other problems with my system other than Arma II. Been playing Empire total war with full settings and other games with no problems.

I have been very happy with my new system and it is running great in and out of games. Thank you for the feedback though, if i start to have lockups out of the games i will take your advice into account.

I got my system from IBUYPOWER.com and they tested it for a few days. As for the time being all is good with it.

Edited by cchcain

Hmm, I'm also having this problem. The game was fine up until I got to about stage 5 in the campain and now it freezes constantly. I've set my CPU and RAM back to stock clock speeds etc and tried multiple GPU settings (OCd, stock, UNDERclocked with 100% fan speed) and none of the settings make a difference. I've run Memtest86+ and passed, I've monitored my GPU and CPU temps and they're fine. I've run 3DMark Vantage multiple times with no problems reported.

My system:

Asus P6T Dlx with 6Gb Corsair XMS3 and i7 920 (OC to 3.48GHz)

ATI HD4890 Turbo

Game is installed on WD Caviar Black 1Tbs in raid0.

I can run any other game but just not ArmA2. I'll try with lower graphics settings. That said, with my current graphics settings, my FPS is fine/ smooth.

Jero AKA Doak.