Sign in to follow this  
rusky25

ArmA II Random Lockup

After ArmA 2 crash my Graphic Card has about 45 C temperature, and everythin' is workin' great

yea ive been monitoring my temperatures, my gfx card temperature when idle is 29-32 but when i run arma 2 its around 38-43, still stable but i also even overclocked my cpu voltage by 0.250 and it helped slightly but im still having problems..

Aiight, I got a crash but my CPU temps started dropping and were reading 50 C at time of crash.... I'm lost, damn alien technology.

Aiight, I got a crash but my CPU temps started dropping and were reading 50 C at time of crash.... I'm lost, damn alien technology.

AHHHH!!!! It will only get worse from here on in....

Was it a clean CTD or did you get the "cannot commit" message?

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Just spotted this on the BIS "Arma 2 expectaions page" -

Dual core / multi core optimizations

The advent of multiple cores means a real challenge for any developer. We identify this as one of the main possible areas to achieve a higher frame rate in our engine but we also know this is not going to be a walk in the park.

The switch to dual / multi core technology is a very big change, hardly comparable to anything computers have gone through during the last ten years. While some parallel technologies were already developed even some 30 years ago, it never became part of mainstream practice and the whole development chain is completely unprepared for it (including programmers education). Still, we are confident ArmA 2 will be able to bring significant improvement in this area. We are aiming for a mix of fine-grained and coarse-grained parallelism, similar to the way most other game developers seem to do. What we would like to see is better frame rate, smarter AI, and more units, however it is too soon to be able to really promise anything in this respect until the technology is implemented and well tested.

Note the last line... missed on both accounts then BIS eh? Now thats good development eh? Not really a good excuse either as multi processor tech (2 CPU's on the mobo not multicore) have been arround for at least 5-6 years and multicore has been around since before Arma 1 was out.

BIS, GET A GRIP!!

On a serious note, if bulldogs quoted post is correct and this turns out to be bad multicore utilisation it just shows how bad development was. Can BIS seriously say this never came up in testing??? Were the test rigs single core even though min specs say (and I quote from the UK retail case here) "CPU: Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster". I really dont get whats going on at BIS.

Maruk, Im sorry for being so hard on BIS but I am just so damned annoyed about this. I have been a faithful defender of the BIS wargames since OFP ver1. I just want you guys to really pull something special out of the bag instead of a constant stream of near misses.

Edited by stuart_1981

I had this freeze as well, what the problem was my ram, i replaced ram with a nforce sli compatable pair, and suddenly fixed. Screen freeze and sound continuing is a classic sign of memory problems.

AHHHH!!!! It will only get worse from here on in....

Was it a clean CTD or did you get the "cannot commit" message?

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Just spotted this on the BIS "Arma 2 expectaions page" -

Note the last line... missed on both accounts then BIS eh? Now thats good development eh? Not really a good excuse either as multi processor tech (2 CPU's on the mobo not multicore) have been arround for at least 5-6 years and multicore has been around since before Arma 1 was out.

BIS, GET A GRIP!!

On a serious note, if bulldogs quoted post is correct and this turns out to be bad multicore utilisation it just shows how bad development was. Can BIS seriously say this never came up in testing??? Were the test rigs single core even though min specs say (and I quote from the UK retail case here) "CPU: Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster". I really dont get whats going on at BIS.

Maruk, Im sorry for being so hard on BIS but I am just so damned annoyed about this. I have been a faithful defender of the BIS wargames since OFP ver1. I just want you guys to really pull something special out of the bag instead of a constant stream of near misses.

Excellent reply. I agree 100%!

I had this freeze as well, what the problem was my ram, i replaced ram with a nforce sli compatable pair, and suddenly fixed. Screen freeze and sound continuing is a classic sign of memory problems.

its not a hardware problem its the fact something to do with arma 2's code or specifically. Because if everyone here is having the same problem as me and running all other games fine then its not to do with the hardware..its only with ArmA2 im experiencing this, in ArmA 1 i run it fine

I had the screen freeze issue with Cod 4, and it drove me mad, I was convinced it wasnt my machine, as there seemed to be hundreds of people like me. There was a group of us who were convinced it was punk buster, and a punk buster problem thread went to 5000 posts or more.

I had no problem with arma nor crysis, farcry 2, all ran fine. Since i have replaced my ram Cod 4 never crashes, and neither does Arma 2.

When you consider it, new people with problems are attracted to forums to try and resolve their issues. As a result it might appear that there a lot of people complaining about the same thing, so that cant be hardware. Infact its more likely to be the oposite. Lots of people with dodgy memory (there must be hundreds of them) have brought the game, and are desperate to to find out why. If for example 15% of senior forum members have this issue, then you might be on to something. My guess is that the majority of people reporting screen freezes are new forum members.

WTF you're talking about?! I am on this forums for about 4 years (I registered few times, but i couldn't remember the logins or passwords) and you call me or Russianguy192 "a new member"? Fuck all this "I am THE great all-knowing-guy-and-i-won't-even-read-whole-topic" people

Edited by Nickos

not true mate, because the ram sticks ive brought aren't faulty and i did mem tests on them and stress tests, they are perfectly fine. Im 100% sure its arma 2.. and im not trying to create hate for the game or anything because ive been a fan of BIS games since OFP days. Im just saying that its most likely ArmA 2 itself. Ive done stress tests and such and ive had no problems what so ever. It just seems arma 2 was'nt well optimized, and when that happens its going to cause conflicts with hardware and such.Sure others are fine, but if 15% of people here are complaining, surely they don't have faulty hardware.

Really you should'nt make assumptions based on new forum members that come here, do you really believe that? I think your comment is biased and sterotypical, you need to do a bit more research before putting up assumptions like this.. , ive been here for a while. I am complaining about this issue. Does it change the story?

Edited by =Spetsnaz=

When you consider it, new people with problems are attracted to forums to try and resolve their issues. As a result it might appear that there a lot of people complaining about the same thing, so that cant be hardware. Infact its more likely to be the oposite. Lots of people with dodgy memory (there must be hundreds of them) have brought the game, and are desperate to to find out why. If for example 15% of senior forum members have this issue, then you might be on to something. My guess is that the majority of people reporting screen freezes are new forum members.

On principle you have a good point here Balgorg and normally I would agree totally because what you say makes some sense and I also see that exact thing on other forums, not just with games but also with business software. I can assure you that in my personal case it is 100% NOT hardware.

For all senior members and BIS staff I agree with russianguy, Im not trying to build hate for the game, it is absolutely awesome from the missions I've played. Im just PO that we YET AGAIN have an unfinished game going to release with NO consideration for the gamers and their money. I really really believe that if this game gets fixed it will OWN OFP2. My worry is that codies are sitting rubbing their hands pissing themselves with laughter at BIS for this shoddy release. I would rather have waited another 6 months for a game thats done than get the release we did. Sorry again BIS but this just sucks.

Anyway, CTD's aside, NO-ONE can argue that the campaign works as it should. Buggy spotting AI where your team mates spot enemy behind hills and buildings as if they are psychic! A "dynamic speech system" which, lets face it, would be outdated on a 2000 PS2 rpg... What it does have is AWESOME gfx, AWESOME combat, AWESOME vehicles, AWESOME depth. IT JUST NEEDS FINISHED AND TESTED PROPERLY!!!!!

@ Bulldog - What mobo you using mate? Been looking into the heating/core overwhelm you had quoted from the other thread (once again thanks). Yes I am getting some odd CPU balancing but its not geting to the levels that other guy was talking about. Also rigged up a cpuple more 100mm fans and set them up in a cyclic config which has decreased CPU and my geforce temps by about 4 deg. Loaded up Arma 2 and I will say that performance is noticably better but still geting save crashes with the "cannot commit" message.

Feel like crying because I cant shoot enough chedaki!!!!!!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!! :D

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

** EDIT TO ADD **

I just noticed this as I havent really messed about with the editor or scenarios but the crashes are MUCH less frequent in these modes. The editor hasnt crashed yet after 90mins of play.

Edited by stuart_1981

Guys i've found an emergency solution that worked for me:

1) i've cleaned my pc from the inside, the fan etc.

2) i've watched the temperature of the cpu and the gpu, it was incredebly highn with arma II (not with other games) so i've opened the case and i put a normal fan very close to it.

RESULT? no crashes and NO FREEZE

HOWEVER the problem is that when i'm playing arma 2 the temperature are extremely high, i don't know how that is possible but it's a only problm of arma 2.

hope they'll fix that!

WTF you're talking about?! I am on this forums for about 4 years (I registered few times, but i couldn't remember the logins or passwords) and you call me or Russianguy192 "a new member"? Fuck all this "I am THE great all-knowing-guy-and-i-won't-even-read-whole-topic" people

Keep your hair on, if u got any?

I was just explaining what happened to me, hoping that i might have something usefull to say. If someone had said to me, go get new ram, i probably wouldnt have listened. It worked for me, thats all.

What I mean when referring to new users, is that......... na actually i cant be bothered right now.

I usually only play using the editor and I've had loads of crashes in the preview section, today I actually had a crash while in the 2d editor part. I carn't see that being down to heat.

Whatever it is it does seem to be getting worse as the days go on, I've just tried Crysis and it's still runs without any problems.

I think there's a lot of different causes of crashes in this thread, the cannot commit one sounds like a write problem.

Not sure if arma has trouble writing to certain drives or maybe it has a problem addressing memory or writing to a disk under certain permission settings.

Anyone tried running it under a different o/s?

I think there's a lot of different causes of crashes in this thread, the cannot commit one sounds like a write problem.

Not sure if arma has trouble writing to certain drives or maybe it has a problem addressing memory or writing to a disk under certain permission settings.

Anyone tried running it under a different o/s?

Now you could be on to something here. I have arma 2 installed on an E: partition...

there was a guy running it under w. vista, i'm running on xp and still it freeze in a similar way

I'm running vista x64 and I get the total system lockup, no minidump to send, happens totally random times, the game could be paused and it's just little old me running around on tiny utes island, with no enemy. Sometimes 10 mins sometimes 2 hours into the game but allllways happens.

I know everyone know this but, I figure the more ppl that tell their problems the faster someone will come out with a solution. Or whatever, I'm going to get some ice cream.

Cool, thanks for the input and strengthening this thread so maybe BIS will get the picture and fix this, and ICE CREAM :D at least someone has a positive thing to do.

After reinstalling my game then patching up again....my game appears to be alright now :confused: I have all settings on normal, apart from anistropic filtering, which is on low, texture quality on high and PP disabled. The game now runs smoothly, yet still looks just about the same as when i had all on high :)

Processor: Intel® Core2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Hard Drive: 500 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512 Mb memory

Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output

I have the same problem. Game freeze my computer after some minutes. Only "solution", reset muy computer pressing buttom :-(

I need a solution urgently...this is the worsttttttt

i think the problem is that arma 2 overheat the GPU and the CPU, try to open your case (and maybe put a ventilator/fan in front of it) and see if it works better... however

it's an arma 2's problem because NO OTHER GAMES do this to our pc's.

I've just checked my temps and they are as follows:

AMD 4800+ x2

Cpu1 61 Max for my CPU is 71

Cpu2 65

Nvidia 8800GT

GPU 72 (fan speed 30%) Max for my GPU 90 (but some claim 110)

So I don't think temp is the cause of my problems.

Thoses that are locking up or crashing or BSOD

If you are OC'ing, have you tried running the game @ stock speeds and then tried the game ?

Also, for BSOD what are the dump messages (and address) from the Blue screen ?

For crashes etc, what are the event log messages ?

Thoses that are locking up or crashing or BSOD

If you are OC'ing, have you tried running the game @ stock speeds and then tried the game ?

Also, for BSOD what are the dump messages (and address) from the Blue screen ?

For crashes etc, what are the event log messages ?

My computer and graphic card doesnt have oc.

Its imposible view event log because computer freeze totally, only solution is reset by pressing buttom.

I have 8800gt xxx 512.