Sign in to follow this  
Wadi

Plane transport needed!

C-130 is pointless. Why would you want it to transport cars ?  You can't land anywhere but one airport on each island !  Get a grip.

Only possible use I can find is paratrooper operations.  C-130 holds about 64 Paratroopers, while Chinook can hold 24.  Keep in mind that if battle was ranged on small islands such as the ones in this game, C-130s would never be used to take off from a runway on an island which is only about 12 kilometers long.  Are you kidding me ?

I'd rather prefer to see units that actually make sense, and have a logical use in the game, not just some stupid airplanes because a 14-year old thinks they'd be COOL to fly overhead.  Give me a break.

And whoever said the Chinooks are an easy target as opposed to the C-130 is on crack.  Not only is the C-130 much bigger, but if it's shot down, all troops are lost.  If you have 3 Chinooks carrying the same amount of troops as the C-130, then even if one Chinook gets shot down the other two will still deploy their soldiers.

The flight physics are way too unrealistic as they are, no need for more planes is needed, especially if they have no use, are completely unrealistic in this type of battle, and should only be included because someone thinks they're SOOO COOOL.

This game is best at simulating Infantry. It's not a flightsim ! Go pick up a copy of some arcade style air battle game, but don't try and clutter this great game with stupid things. I say add more Infantry units, expand their capabilities, etc.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Mar. 24 2002,14:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">C-130 is pointless. Why would you want it to transport cars ?  You can't land anywhere but one airport on each island !  Get a grip.

Only possible use I can find is paratrooper operations.  C-130 holds about 64 Paratroopers, while Chinook can hold 24.  Keep in mind that if battle was ranged on small islands such as the ones in this game, C-130s would never be used to take off from a runway on an island which is only about 12 kilometers long.  Are you kidding me ?

I'd rather prefer to see units that actually make sense, and have a logical use in the game, not just some stupid airplanes because a 14-year old thinks they'd be COOL to fly overhead.  Give me a break.

And whoever said the Chinooks are an easy target as opposed to the C-130 is on crack.  Not only is the C-130 much bigger, but if it's shot down, all troops are lost.  If you have 3 Chinooks carrying the same amount of troops as the C-130, then even if one Chinook gets shot down the other two will still deploy their soldiers.

The flight physics are way too unrealistic as they are, no need for more planes is needed, especially if they have no use, are completely unrealistic in this type of battle, and should only be included because someone thinks they're SOOO COOOL.

This game is best at simulating Infantry.  It's not a flightsim !  Go pick up a copy of some arcade style air battle game, but don't try and clutter this great game with stupid things.  I say add more Infantry units, expand their capabilities, etc.<span id='postcolor'>

Hey, calm down man, we're entitled to our opinions too!

Something cooler would be artillery and somewhat bigger boats biggrin.gif

It would be nice to have a herc for supplies and dressing up airports.

Because of its size it should be made non playable

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Mar. 24 2002,14:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">C-130 is pointless. Why would you want it to transport cars ?  You can't land anywhere but one airport on each island !  Get a grip.

This game is best at simulating Infantry.  It's not a flightsim !  Go pick up a copy of some arcade style air battle game, but don't try and clutter this great game with stupid things.  I say add more Infantry units, expand their capabilities, etc.<span id='postcolor'>

err.. what rules out the posserbilerty of useing em to ferry troops and equipment in ? or for that sake when a Chinook is a piss poor alternate ? also on another note... C-130's are known to be able under certain contitions to take off from strips about 750 meters long

You can parachute bmds from the hercules (I think it was a hercules) I saw it on the discovery chanel.

Also what about that huge helicopter which has a cargo bay the size of 2 freight containers which can be detached and left on the battle field and picked up later

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">err.. what rules out the posserbilerty of useing em to ferry troops and equipment in ? or for that sake when a Chinook is a piss poor alternate ? also on another note... C-130's are known to be able under certain contitions to take off from strips about 750 meters long

<span id='postcolor'>

And they don't necesarely need a proper airstrip to land on or take off on either. They can land on practically anything as long it's not too bumpy.

A Herc would be awesome and very usefull in OFP. Sure, the islands are small for that kind of aircrafts, but hey! it's only a game and it would make new mission possibilities.

-If the size of the islands decide wich units are apropriate, then let's delete all airunits together smile.gif

NO FU**ING WAY mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Mar. 24 2002,14:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This game is best at simulating Infantry.  It's not a flightsim !  Go pick up a copy of some arcade style air battle game, but don't try and clutter this great game with stupid things.  I say add more Infantry units, expand their capabilities, etc.<span id='postcolor'>

I want a hrec because of the infantry! I want to be able to do large scale paradrops from a fast-moving herc. Anyway, somebody said that the C-130 can land on runways of 750m and somebody else said it doesn't even need a runway, so so much for the islands being too small! tounge.gif

If you want a real good one VSTOL

Take a look a the french C160f Transall

251.jpg

transal03.jpg

transal06.jpg

technical data:

wingspan : 40m

length : 32.40m

height : 11.67m

max speed : 515 Km/h

max alt : 8000m

crew : 5 men

max load : 14t

impossible is not french

i m with advocatexxx on this one .. i dont see much sense in a hercules. though it would be nice to have one for the future biggrin.gif when there are maybe bigger scenarios smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Mar. 24 2002,14:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">C-130 is pointless. Why would you want it to transport cars ?  You can't land anywhere but one airport on each island !  Get a grip.<span id='postcolor'>

Consider this scenario:You are trying to hold one of the airports, and the Russians keep attacking. You have to hold out until a Hercules arrives with a tank or something!!!!!

I want to be able to be in volved in a full scale evacuation from Everon. You have to protect the airport from advancing Russian forces whist the C-130 fills with troops and eventually flies off.

Even if it never works I think they would be great for scenery like the LST. I rekon it would look great sat on the green at Everon or Malden behind the runways.

Deadman: You won't have seen an BMDs falling out of Hercs...Hercs are NATO aircraft and BMDs are Warsaw pact vehicles.

Jubs

An124Runway1.jpg

I totally agree, Hercs have no place in this game.. It´s an infantry sim, *#*! it..   Now, an Antonov on the other hand.. biggrin.gif

J/K

Konyak

oops

I knewe that they were not nato forces it was 3wow.gif0am when i posted it

@Konyak-2

where did you get that plane

Does it fly or is it secenry

It´s not actually in the game. Yet. biggrin.gif I made the model for OFP, it´s 1900 poly´s with all it´s stuff out, ramps, wheels and all that.

I hope one day it will fly, but I thought of it as scenery mostly.

Konyak

I have been an advocate for a C-130 since I started posting on the forum. The runways on Malden and Everon are plenty long enough for take off and landing. All of the other planes already in the game don't even require 2/3 of the runway for take off. Being in an airborne unit that utilizes the plane very often. The C-130 is a very rugged aircraft, and is capable of take off and landing on unimproved, small airstrips due to it's low stall speed and beefy landing gear. Sure, there might be a problem doing forward airland operations on other parts of the Islands, but who cares about the legs. They walk evertwhere anyway. We want it for airborne ops!

and Konyak, that screenshot is not of a C-130, that is (or is the equivilant of) a C-3 Globemaster, whick is the biggest f*ing plane utilized by the Western forces currently. Even if OFP was only an infantry sim, which it is not. (armor is not infantry) Infantry uses C-130's all the time. Also, someone said something about tac-airlifting a tank earlier you can't fit any MBT in a C-130, nor a C-141!

@ USSoldier: </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and Konyak, that screenshot is not of a C-130, that is (or is the equivilant of) a C-3 Globemaster, whick is the biggest f*ing plane utilized by the Western forces currently<span id='postcolor'>

FYI, that is an Antonov 124. It´s not your little C-17. If you'd read the posts in this thread, you'd have known that my post was a joke, and that I didn't post that pic as a C-130 (which is a prop plane FCOL).

Glad to have introduced another plane to your world.

Does anyone know how long the runway is on the islands? I'm gonna need like 2.800 meters to get that baby airborne biggrin.gif

Might have to wait till visitor comes out. Oh, and another thing. When the map size is 12.8 by 12.8 km limit, as it is now, what happens when you fly into the limit? Do you not "go" further, or is there just a journey in limbo till you fly back again? Just wondering because if you make two islands at the extreme corners of the map with runways there, you could possible still do approaces from outside the map area. This would be very good indeed smile.gif Be it for a Herc, or something larger.

Konyak

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Konyak-2 @ Mar. 29 2002,13:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if you make two islands at the extreme corners of the map with runways there, you could possible still do approaces from outside the map area.  This would be very good indeed smile.gif  Be it for a Herc, or something larger.

Konyak<span id='postcolor'>

For that, just put a herc at the edge of the map and put "Flying" in its "special" box.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wadi @ Mar. 27 2002,14:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Mar. 24 2002,14<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">C-130 is pointless. Why would you want it to transport cars ?  You can't land anywhere but one airport on each island !  Get a grip.<span id='postcolor'>

Consider this scenario:You are trying to hold one of the airports, and the Russians keep attacking. You have to hold out until a Hercules arrives with a tank or something!!!!!<span id='postcolor'>

Hold one of the airports ?  There's only one airport on each island genius, so use a singular instead of plural next time.

And where exactly does this Hercules lift off from if you're guarding the only airport on the island ?

Hercules arrives with a tank ?  Hercules cannot lift off with a tank even if it tried. As far as I know the C-5 Galaxy (which I don't think was in service in '85 - if it was, correct me) is the only plane that can transport an MBT, and it can only do so one at a time. 70-ton tank is heavier than you think.

Dude you have no idea what you're talking about.

Konyak 2, if you keep flying in any direction, you'll simply fly over the ocean.  It will loop and loop, though a sense of distance is kept between you and the island.  So if you fly for 10 minutes away from the island, it will take you another 10 minutes to get back.

I think it would be a good idea to perhaps allow transporting between the islands.  Maybe place them 20 kilometers away from each other.  So if you were flying towards the other island, then halfway there you'd get the "LOADING" screen, while the next island loads.  It only takes a few seconds, so I don't see the big deal, but it would be great launching airstrikes from one island to another.

People Hurcs love dirt! They were made to land on unprepared runways in the middle of no where!

c-130.jpg

C-130.gif

c-130-17.jpgC-130.jpg

id hate to wash a herc, washing a car is annoying enough

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darkhawk @ Mar. 29 2002,21:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">People Hurcs love dirt! They were made to land on unprepared runways in the middle of no where!

c-130.jpg

C-130.gif

c-130-17.jpgC-130.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

This is all very true...but is there anywhere on any of the islands flat enough for landing/take off other than the three airports anyway?

Jubs