Sign in to follow this  
SpecOp9

Should Operation Flashpoint be repackaged and release for free?

I remember playing Operation Flashpoint not long after it was released and do I ever have vivid memories of this game. My PC couldn't even handle it at first, but it worked fantastic on my friends computer, and we spent hours in the editor placing a bunch of helicopters, watching them all take off... Something so simple was pretty damn exhilarating.

Not long after that I managed to get a Sony Vaio which ran Operation Flashpoint pretty well. This is where a good chunk of my life went down the drain, spending countless hours in the mission editor, doing whatever the hell I wanted. It was like playing with G.I. Joe toys, but for older folks.

Operation Flashpoint is still very much alive. Mods are still being released and content is as well. But the exposure of these mods are dwindling, as is general community activity.

It got me thinking, why not rename the original Operation Flashpoint and release it for free, like America's Army? Could Codemasters do anything about this, even if BIS renamed it? Are there profits still being made?

It may seem like a radical idea for some, but to me, it's a good one. There are many benefits to this.

- With ArmA II nearing the North American release, Operation Flashpoint (renamed to something else) could be used as a marketing tool. Thousands if not millions would download Operation Flashpoint. Even if it's just a simple splash screen or a viewable trailer - and they would all learn about ARMA 2 and potentially make a purchase.

- The community would be stimulated, not only Operation Flashpoint, but potentially ArmA: CO and ARMA 2. A great example of this is Americas Army. It has a booming user base and is still one of the most played online games, largely in part because it's free to download.

- There are many good addons now like FFUR85, FDF, bloods mods and more. These could be included to create a semi-new game and give a good reason to re name the package.

There are many other benefits, but those are the two big ones.

This would be a very big decision to make, if Codemasters can't get in the way. Either way, I believe the community would want something like this, and I think they also deserve it.

Edited by SpecOp9

That would be cool as more people would start playing and get to know about BIS but then again lots of kids and fools would download it and start cheating and that could kill the game... But its up to BIS :)

If BIS changes the name then Codemasters can't do anything I think, besides Codemsters didnt develop the game they just published it and are now taking credit from it -.-

I believe Codemasters only owns the name "Operation Flashpoint". Bohemia is still in command of the engine, Real Virtuality including all the game assets like sound effects, 3D models and campaigns. I am not 100% sure however.

They are, that’s why Codemasters could only use the name for the game "Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising" but couldn’t use any bits of the old OFP.

But I don’t think BIS would do it because then people would download Operation Flashpoint and they would look for Operation Flashpoint 2 rather then ArmA, and as a Czech man I will stand on the side of BIS because they are the ones that deserve the credit for the game and not Codemaster somewhere in America or England who have almost nothing to do with the game :)

I would just rename it to ARMA, then nobody would look into OFP2, hahaha

ARMA: Cold War Crisis

ARMA: Resistance

I would prefer that it be offered for around $10, either online or at retail. I'm happy to still pay for this game, and I'd like the most deserving folks to receive compensation. I've been holding out for the GoG situation to pan out in favor of providing the game.

Yeah, they could make a downloadable version of the game for 10 bucks, it would still make them a little money :P

I believe Codemasters only owns the name "Operation Flashpoint". Bohemia is still in command of the engine, Real Virtuality including all the game assets like sound effects, 3D models and campaigns. I am not 100% sure however.

If i remember well, the voices are Codemasters property too.

With 2 companies that are apparently unfriendly to each other like BIS and Codies, it will certainly be difficult to see OFP one day in the future released for free.

Maybe it will be found again in some cover cd/dvd of some magazines for the 10th anniversary of OFP as it has already been done in the past, i remember having read on this board that some people got OFP like this.

With 2 companies that are apparently unfriendly to each other like BIS and Codies

Why are they unfreindly to each other anyway?

But at least now I know why BIS had a T55 parked in front of their studio :icon_mrgreen:

yeah iwish they would make the OFPR for free its old (2001) and today not alot ppl play it so it would be grate.. and then more ppl will know about BIS and after afew month they can put adownload for 5-10 $ they would make some money and happy gamers of that.

*How can ifind anew copy of the game? ijost cant find the game... ideleted it by amistake..

-Oh and what about OFP2 what is so bad with it? why you prefer to call it ArmA III?

-Oh and what about OFP2 what is so bad with it? why you prefer to call it ArmA III?

OFP2 is not from Bohemia Interactive but from Codemasters, it just uses the same name but everything else is different and by the screen shots I've seen I'll stick to ArmA II :)

I have understood that the CWR ArmA mod has had to avoid using stuff owned by Codemasters. Perhaps take a look at that project. If OFP was released for free then I am pretty sure it would have to be done like the CWR mod project, avoiding stuff owned by Codemasters. Including the name of the game.

Id like to see them open source it, much like Freespace 2. That gave the game a new lease of life, and I imagine it would with OFP too.

Id like to see them open source it, much like Freespace 2. That gave the game a new lease of life, and I imagine it would with OFP too.

That would be a midnight code junkies wet dream. Back in the '02 - '06 range I was hooked on 3d engines(acknex mostly) and dreamed so many times of looking at OFPs code. Just to see how they did things.

Don't forget that ArmA and ArmA2 and propably other BIS games use and will use the same engine so showing OFP's code is like showing the bese of their engine, not a good idea :)

Why are they unfreindly to each other anyway?

I suggest you folks need to read the wonderful OFP2 thread in offtopic :whistle:

Yeah, I'd love to see it too, but as long as VBS is based off the Real Virtuality engine, it's not going to happen. BIS has too much to lose from someone souping up the engine and making a competitor to their product.

I suggest you folks need to read the wonderful OFP2 thread in offtopic

After searching for a bit I still can't find the OFP2 thread, can you give me a link please (hope it's not 50 pages long) :)

Thank's D@nte, after reading the 180+ page topic which took me over 1 hour I kind of get thie picture now :)

But as for Codemasters I think they would be happy to see BIS close down yet alone let them release OFP1 for free :mad: Just becaouse BIS is better then them and always will be :yay:

EDIT: But I think it's a good thing that BIS has a competetor like OFP2 so they had to make ArmA2 good, if they made another game like ArmA1 I would just get pissed off, I waited so patiently for ArmA1 to come out and when it came out it just wasnt what I waited all that time for, so I waited patiently again and ArmA2 is some what what better :) exept for driving the cars dont know why but I find it very difficult, why couldent they just leave the contols from OFP :(

Edited by -Martin-

I would love this myself. As unlikely as it is, the stuff the community could do with it would be awesome.

Hehe, we would just modify the game engine to todays standarts and BIS would close down becaouse the community would make such a banging game :)