Sign in to follow this  
erazor

Auto walk?

Actually yeah for people with throttles on their joystick this is a non-issue (free auto-walk key), but not everyone have it.

I use a toothpick for those long hikes and what's the problem with an auto-walk feature? Like pressing "w" is a realistic way to move across the planet. And since it's optional to whether or not you press it, those shouting "no autowalk!!!" can simply opt out of using it.

Options people...

If they don't either include auto-walk soon or map makers stop making maps where auto-walk is needed, I'm going to need to start physiotherapy to cure my fingers... Seriously some maps have me hold the "fast forward" or "vehicle fast forward" button for >90% of the time. Using the joystick slider isn't a very good solution as it has to be perfectly centered when you want to STOP moving forward, so you can't stop auto-walking forward in a timely fashion.

Having something like double-tap forward/fast forward to toggle it would be a great help to my own health.

I don't even play this game for as many hours a day as I used to play other games, yet this game manages to really make my fingers hurt.

Buy a 10 gram weight. You can get them from most scientific suppliers for about $5.00. Its heavy enough to press a key down and small enough to fit on only 1 key.

Edited by weegee_101
Put Kilogram instead of Gram. Eek.

I'm well aware of the workarounds, but I still want something that is as easy to use as a simple key press. Might have to get a G15 keyboard or similar for that unless I find a simpler solution.

Anyone found a software-based workaround? That is, one that would not require a controller axis or the likes...

I was thinking about making a simple program that will solve it, but had issue finding the appropriate windows API commands...

The idea is that you could have a key combination X (for example, shift+W or doubletap W) that will tell the 3rd party app to send Arma 2 a "W down" (which will hold down the W key). This should make you autowalk until "W" is pressed again (and thus Arma 2 will receive a "W up" when you let go of "W"). But again, I couldn't (yet) find the proper windows API commands that will handle it. It should be pretty damn simple in principal though, and would save immense amount of strain on everyone's fingers... And it won't even require a mod!

Only games I know of with autowalk keys are RPG's.

I cant remember EVER playing a FPS with an autowalk key.

CoD4 and CoD5 have one. Just open up chat and you continue to walk

Same thing happened in BF2 and BF2142 also i think

Those are workarounds, though. Then again I never played an FPS (or any game for that matter) that made my hand hurt from how much I had to hold the "move forward" key. World of Warcraft is the only game I can think of that has such long trips, but it has an auto walk key (which I re-bind very close to my move forward key after my hand started to hurt).

For guys on STEAM I figured out how to do auto walk/run.. while holding down W do shift+TAB to bring up the steam menu... then do SHIT+ TAB again and when you come out of the steam menu you will still be running.. it works for W,S,A,D... to stop it you need to hold down the same key that you started with(I.E. if you wanted to go straight/W then you need to hold W again and do the same SHIFT+TAB to stop auto running)... i never use this and found it on accident :)

I've got auto walk working on my G15, just record the forward key then stop recording it with out lifting off from the forward key. So in the keys window mine jsut has 'W' listed. To stop from autowalk i press W twice.

Anyone found a software-based workaround? That is, one that would not require a controller axis or the likes...

I was thinking about making a simple program that will solve it, but had issue finding the appropriate windows API commands...

The idea is that you could have a key combination X (for example, shift+W or doubletap W) that will tell the 3rd party app to send Arma 2 a "W down" (which will hold down the W key). This should make you autowalk until "W" is pressed again (and thus Arma 2 will receive a "W up" when you let go of "W"). But again, I couldn't (yet) find the proper windows API commands that will handle it. It should be pretty damn simple in principal though, and would save immense amount of strain on everyone's fingers... And it won't even require a mod!

You didn't read the thread before you posted, did you? :P

Quote from Page 4:

Well made my own autowalk-script in autohotkey.

ALT+W to turn on - ALT+S to stop.

If anyone's interested just copy the following into an Autohotkey (google) script and run it anytime ya need it - before or during gameplay.

$!w:: 
sleep 500 
send {w down} 

return 

$!s:: 
sleep 500 
send {w up} 

return 

Still think this should of been a built-in feature ;).

Its like a built-in auto-walk. I just gotta remember to double click on the macro file which is right next to the arma2 link. Not that hard.

actually this is a health issue with serious social repercusions. think about it, all that time spent pressing forward with the middle finger is gonna cause an imbalance of muscle build-up. the only way to balance it out of course, is an equal amount of time fully extending ones middle finger. the interpersonal conflicts brought to a players real life from this situation could be more devastating then a crack addiction. its time for a petition.

on a side note, is that lisa hunter in the bottom left corner of the face smack image?

Well made my own autowalk-script in autohotkey.

ALT+W to turn on - ALT+S to stop.

If anyone's interested just copy the following into an Autohotkey (google) script and run it anytime ya need it - before or during gameplay.

sleep 500 
send {w down} 

return 

sleep 500 
send {w up} 

return 

Still think this should of been a built-in feature ;).

Cool, WWIIOL auto-walk has always had me spoiled, and I take walks in Arma that put the FB to town hump to shape.

Edit - Works like a champ

Edited by Rancmeat

How do I make my backwards key both work as an autowalk breaker and as a backwards key using AutoHotkey?

How do I make my backwards key both work as an autowalk breaker and as a backwards key using AutoHotkey?

Not sure, and I haven't tried it, but start playing here.....

sleep 500 
send {w down} 
send {s up} 
return 

sleep 500 
send {w up} 
send {s down} 

return

The folks talking about realism in the thread make me laugh. Where does pressing a button with your finger come into a discussion about walking realistically? Unless you have a treadmill hooked up to your computer as a controller, you just look silly making such claims.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Ignore my code above, it never lets you stop moving :)

I think you would need a 3rd stop key.

Edited by Rancmeat

Yeah, I've just been stopping with the forward key.

After a while of using it it suddenly started to open the team switch menu rather than holding down the forward key, though restarting autohotkey and telling it to reload the script fixed the issue. Overall, though, it is very useful!

Speaking of autohotkey, anyone knows how to make a script that will work around the toggle zoom bug? That is, make a hotkey that will hold the zoom key when pressed once and release it when pressed again, and another key to do the same for the zoom out key? I would love to reduce my FOV in my player.arma2profile but the lack of ability to toggle zoom out with some weapons and with all vehicles to make up for it is killing the idea. Besides, sometimes you just want to stay zoomed in without holding a key.

I'd write it myself but I don't understand well enough how autohotkey works. I doubt it would be very complicated.

Tried the following script for zoom in/out toggle but it doesn't seem to work (the auto walk part does work though):

zoomed=0

$+i::
send {i down}
return

h::
if (zoomed!=1) {
zoomed=1
send {r down}
} else {
zoomed=0
send {r up}
}