Sign in to follow this  
NorthStar

Mines useful?

Can anyone tell me if the mines in ArmA2 do any more damage to tanks than in ArmA? From OFP to ArmA it seemed like the damage was scaled down to a level that made them practically useless :(

Mines are banned in Russia and the U.S.

they're cheap and mainly used for people in Africa as a cruel joke.

wot a bollocks reply. he asking about mines in game. and mines aint banned. they use them, but the usa has mine with self destruct capability, it was on a discovery program, they were dropped/fired from side way facing tubes in a blackhawk, and afte ra set period of time self destructed. they use them across DMZ's. doubt they use anti tank ones much, as they have air power an tanks plus javs etc to take out the heavy stuff. as far i know the we (uk) signed up to the treatys also and dont use them at all (prob cant afford them)

We have always successfully used mines in ambush operations, even if a convoy SEES the mines, they have to slow down and drive around it.. so you plan accordingly lol.

so yes, they are useful..

Edited by Ferox

Are the mines for armor, infantry, or both?

Main battle tanks are rarely outright destroyed by AT mines. It could require 1-3 to track an MBT for a "mobility kill." Right now there are only AT mines which are only set off by Car or Armor class vehicles. Man class vehicles do not set them off. I forget if Air classes do or not.

Thanks for replying guys but I don't need a history of mine warfare... I just want some straight up info on what the damage is like. For example in OFP 1 AT mine would usually destroy a BMP, in ArmA it probably takes at least 3 or 4.

@Op4 - to my knowledge the game only has AT mines (light vehicles and inf don't set them off)

Oh look a Colonel joke. Thanks for leaving the mines for the kids to play with. Oh yeah. Sub-Africa counties don't make mines. I wonder who make's them. But that's off topic maybe.

Main battle tanks are rarely outright destroyed by AT mines. It could require 1-3 to track an MBT for a "mobility kill."

True, that is why our rockets are saved for said tanks, while the mines take out the other stuff..

op4 I believe the mines were just for vehicles, at least non mod wise.

Since when anti-tank mines (and nothing else they are in OFP/A1/A2) are banned?

Please make sure you have clue about what you are talking before replying to a thread and confusing others.

Frederf, how do they fare against BMPs and other lightly armored vehicles in game? Also are you sure that cars will set them off? If so that's new... UAZs would never set them off in ArmA.

I think it does still depend on the weight

set in the Geo Lod

@t-love

What a shitty answer

I still waiting for AP Mines :/

Tank Mines in Arma are kind week stack 3 for insta kill

Hi, in the ArmA the APC (BMP-2 & M-113 A3) have really weird armour values, an AT mine

in ArmA will do enough damage to a T72 or a M1A1 as for make the crew bail out and the

tank explode after some seconds, while they don't do the same with the BMPs at least,

they release the units in the cargo, but the crew don't bails out and the BMPs turret keep

working while it shouldn't be in this way, they overarmoured the APCs in the ArmA; a real

AT mine will turn a BMP-2 into wrinkled tin foil while it will only broke the tracks of a T72

and may make only few damages if any at all to the tank's hull. BIS screwed it up with

the APCs armour values in ArmA. Let's C ya

@EDIT: The cars in ArmA didn't trigger the AT mines, only trucks, APCs and MBTs.

Edited by wipman

Since when anti-tank mines (and nothing else they are in OFP/A1/A2) are banned?

Oh look a Colonel joke. Thanks for leaving the mines for the kids to play with. Oh yeah. Sub-Africa counties don't make mines. I wonder who make's them. But that's off topic maybe.
wot a bollocks reply. he asking about mines in game. and mines aint banne......signed up to the treatys also and dont use them at all (prob cant afford them)

You guys get butt-hurt about every little thing.

You're going to take a serious answer from a guy who has the avatar of the parrot from dexter's lab and NOT consider him a troll?

you guys need to grow up

@t-love

What a shitty answer

sshheeeeeeeeiittt

Edited by TLove
spelled "sheeeeeeeit" wrong.

Broadly speaking, there are two kinds of anti-tank mines.

1. Mines that are designed to penetrate the tank's bottom armor and thus destroy the vehicle and possibly crew. These usually employ shaped charges. They usually have magnetic, timed or remote triggers.

2. Mines that are designed to immobilize the tank. These usually employ simple explosives (e.g. rdx, hexatol) that will break the track that goes over the mine. These are usually triggered by the weight of the tank.

Usually the bsing about real world facts starts after the question is answered :(

Don't get me wrong, I love bsing. I live for it. I love fluff and facts and figures, but please someone answer this guy's question.

TLove is apparently racist against automaton parrots D:

Here's a mine practicality question. Would it be better to place them in a road or in the woods/fields if you had to choose?

The AI love roads. If the mines are anything like the ones in ArmA1 then the wheel/track has to drive over and put pressure on the mine's piston detonator. If the tank would drive directly over the mine (center to center) then it won't go off.

My basic mine laying pattern would be like this:

X
                 X
0            0        X
=>>==========ROAD==========X=================>>=====
      0               X           0
                  X
           X

X - Mine

0 - Satchel

The idea is that the "V" shape captures the column of vehicles after the first explosion. Their first idea will be to leave the roadway to either turn around or bypass and the V means that often they will drive evasively directly into more mines that are sooner than if they were a straight line across the road.

You don't want more than 2 mines directly on the road since that is enough to make a blockade out of the first vehicle. You also want to keep them apart enough that even a fast moving vehicle won't detonate more than the number necessary to immobilize it.

The staggered column of satchels can inflict heavy damage to a column if it halts or dismounts. The satchel forward of the main road mines are to catch a lead vehicle if it somehow doesn't set off the mine (too light, bad placement). These would be replaced with claymores if they are available. They are kept off the road to avoid being spotted.

Wow...how the hell long did it take you to draw that? xD

Well, that seems like a good idea, but how long does it take you to set that up? I mean, you're gonna have to do it miles in advance, which means they can't turn off of that road before then or you're screwed, right? Or was there an objective that said the enemy WOULD be coming down that road?

It took about 4 minutes to draw. It didn't help that code writes in fixed-width font but the reply editor isn't be default. With all human players you can set it up in 30 seconds but with AI it's more like 60 assuming they have the inventory for it. Can stand on a hill and give move orders rapid fire to make the shape, then give them action>place mine as they arrive and report "Ready." Mines are by nature not a very good weapon for quick reactions but they are excellent for defense and area denial.

Typical uses are prepared ambushes of column or as a way of covering your butt from rapid counter attack during a deep strike mission. You generally have to know where the target is going several minutes in advance in the case of a convoy. For deep strike security you place them at roads you think the enemy will use to rush in if/when you are discovered.

Even if the mines don't destroy all the vehicles (as you likely only left 1-3 at any one spot since they're heavy), it slows, disorients, and reveals the enemy to you. They can also be taken with you on the way out if they end up not being needed (kind to the morning commute come Monday as well).

Good ambush is a 4-element affair with a guard team 500-100m on each direction of the route, a main ambush element, and a rear guard element covering a fallback position for the teams usually behind the main element.

I guess I'll just wait until I have the game and see for myself, since people keep derailing my thread and I can't get a straight answer to a simple question.

Well, the demo will be out soon (maybe). Perhaps you can experiment?

Arma 1 mines = No

Arma 2 mines = Yes

Answered your question OP as no one else knows how to read hurr durr.

But in order for mines to be successful, you need to lay them in a pattern, large V shapes are effective, but i usually set-up a line of 3 mines and set up a satchel or two behind them to the side of the road to make sure i atleast damage the tracks and make the vehicles immobile. Basically like a Racing grid position, a square without a top which is the entry point.

M              S

M     LOL TANK GONNA GET PWNED

M              S

Edited by Depleted

The AI love roads. If the mines are anything like the ones in ArmA1 then the wheel/track has to drive over and put pressure on the mine's piston detonator. If the tank would drive directly over the mine (center to center) then it won't go off.

My basic mine laying pattern would be like this:

X
                 X
0            0        X
=>>==========ROAD==========X=================>>=====
      0               X           0
                  X
           X

X - Mine

0 - Satchel

The idea is that the "V" shape captures the column of vehicles after the first explosion. Their first idea will be to leave the roadway to either turn around or bypass and the V means that often they will drive evasively directly into more mines that are sooner than if they were a straight line across the road.

You don't want more than 2 mines directly on the road since that is enough to make a blockade out of the first vehicle. You also want to keep them apart enough that even a fast moving vehicle won't detonate more than the number necessary to immobilize it.

The staggered column of satchels can inflict heavy damage to a column if it halts or dismounts. The satchel forward of the main road mines are to catch a lead vehicle if it somehow doesn't set off the mine (too light, bad placement). These would be replaced with claymores if they are available. They are kept off the road to avoid being spotted.

:bounce3: Honestly mate thats a brilliant. I was wondering how my first dip into the milsim world would go from my shooter background. But when you have players that put that type of thought and intelligence in something as little as road mines you can't go wrong.

MOD we need a spanky new tactics forum.

Game has been shipped. Roll on tomorrow morning!!