Sign in to follow this  
granQ

40th Army in Afghanistan.

The basic idea is to make a addon collection for the Afghan war with the Soviets.

My plan is to get help of the community to coordinate and help things out.

So basically, if you worked/planned to work on something that would be suiting in the afghan theater, why not start working and getting the help of us (so far several persons are interested but will update on that later) to speed up your progress, getting feedback and assistance. Or if you rather work alone but like the project, why not work alone, release it and then donate it as well to us. The goal is becoming a one click, one installation of a new "experience" in ArmA 2.

The rules for the addons are.

* The work is yours and yours only. No imports from other games or using pictures as textures and so on. (Ofcourse BIS sample models and so on is OK).

* You are ok with your work modified and released in patches for this addon collection in ArmA 2.

Planned stuff:

Soldier models for both sides. Planned but "not assigned" so far.

Vehicles:

Highly Wanted list a.k.a need help with

• Afghan Theatre
  • Btr 60
  • T-62
  • Any heavy/medium transport plane for the Soviets. Preferable An-26

Missions:

• Several coops for betwen 2-20 people.
  • granQ's invading AI (More info)

Links of interest:

http://www.ruswar.com/

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151025

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_war_in_Afghanistan

http://ra.spetsnaz.su/wiki/Main_Page

Edited by granQ
Added some links.

Good, i like the initiative!

Would be awesome to have this completed and available for the community.

Good luck and i wish you good inspirations. :)

Thank you ;)

thank you.. updated first topic with the latest WIP.. not very much but hey started today :)

Su22,work by Ripperbat, is paused while he is doing a I-16 but he says he will get back on it and also do the An26.

Bis Mi17 converted to mi8, changes are that the tailrotor is moved to the right, less rockets (sources said only 16% of all missions used full combat load, and photos seen to show this is more standard) and put the soviet star on. Things to do is make the door animated and ofcourse update the textures.

BMP-1 is the BIS bmp2 with a new turret.. well, more to come I guess.

My standards is that its should be playable, realistic in config.. and visually.. well, my standards isn't that high.. so I hope i get help by someone that is better on that :)

You might want to ask CSLA for their BMP-1, brilliant quality! :)

Vilas got soldiers!

Good soldiers are a must

Good luck so far.

I'm new to this forum, and this game... haven't even played it, or its predecessors, in fact. But I've been positively obsessed with it since discovering the recent videos.

Funny, the very first thing I thought when I discovered the breadth of mods/add-ons was how cool it would be if someone developed one for the Soviet-Afghan conflict...

Not sure if you need any help on the history side of things (accuracy, etc.), but I'm a history major set to graduate in December, and am aiming to pursue my doctorate... with Afghanistan as my primary focus. I would be more than happy to "advise," so to speak, and share what I know about the conflict. Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to be involved, I'd be of no use to you in terms of programming, etc.

P.S. As a "fan," I would suggest the Panjshir Valley as visual inspiration; and Spetsnaz units are a must... they were the only units whom the mujahideen truly feared/respected... but then, I suppose it's easy to come up with a wish list if one isn't doing the actual dirty work! I wish you the best, and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Edited by Pdo9797

ok, here we go:

bmp-2d

btr-60/70/80 and 152

an-12, il-76

various Mi-8/24 mods

Su-24/25

Kamaz, Kraz, Ural, Gaz trucks and I don't imagine soviet afgan war without all these trucks being as fuel tankers too :)

Gedis, is that the list of stuff you will start working on or is that a wishlist of 1 year work? ;)

Pdo9797, actually there is a lot of need of accuracy, from "the mi8's in afghan never had x" to other stuff.. so I might start PM you later or add you on msn or something to answer questions when I am doing editing.

But basically I want to keep it simple.. whats the use of having an-12, an-26 and il-76.. will they add something in gameplay or just to be "complete" ?

What is needed is the ability to create as many types of missions as possible with a few units as possible. Armor combat with tanks is impossible to do without tanks, but does that mean we need both t55 and t62? No, one is fine.

So I much rather have the "basic" and some different types.. then having a complete addon collection with EVERYTHING THAT EVER WAS PRESENT IN AFGHANISTAN.. because then you end up with a project that will take forever, achieve very little compared to if it only came with the basic and of course it will require more space on the computer.

raedor, I might do that later.. my plan is to wait at least until after the summer before start "pimping" for models. No point for me to get hold of a lot of stuff at this stage..

How about a Mi-8 with PKM for both sides, one for door and one for window.

Gedis, is that the list of stuff you will start working on or is that a wishlist of 1 year work? ;)

lol no, it's a wishlist :)

How about a Mi-8 with PKM for both sides, one for door and one for window.

perhaps, for me its important to do as little models and stuff as possible yet making it possible to cover all aspects and functions of the war. (Basicly we need one transport helicopter, not 20 with different colors and minor changes in weapons).

So the question I would ask is, which Mi-8 was mostly used, both in loadout, color and "functions" like the heat/dust covers or whatever it is covering the exhaust that all Mi-17 got but only some Mi-8.

In other news, I got like 3 guys that shown intreset in doing textures, which is funny since during all time I been around there always been guys that done models but not textures.

And considering we got some retextures to do for su25/mi24/mi8, bmps and other stuff its exactly what we need to kick start this thing.

However, if you know how to make good enough models then you very welcome, still got the Btr60, t62 and an-26 that we really want.

Snakeman told me about the possibility for cat_afghanistan to make an apparence in ArmA2, which would be perfect just hope it can get updated texture wise on buildings and more enterable buildings.

I hope to have the "invasion" mission converted to arma2 soon.

So right now we in a study phase, trying to get a grip on what we should do and so on.

EDIT:

Since ArmA2 got both mi17 and mi8 we will retextures those.

Now you can help us with finding Mi 21 and Mig 23

Edited by granQ
Minor update.

I'm not as mod happy as I was before, but I'm be willing to throw together some missions to ship with the pack once its ready.

We have opened a forum (I am still traveling so progess is slow right now)

But you might go in and read to see what we up to.. if you feel you can contribute or like want to do missions and so on. Please join up.

Hopefully "a lot" of people will join with mission, beta testing which will increase the content before we do a more public release.

http://afg80.motionforum.net

After reading "The Hidden War" a few years ago this war has fascinated me. I'm glad someone is trying to get these addons going. I remember playing with the CAT terrain, my own Taliban units and some 80's era Soviet units. Tons of fun playing a Dynamic campaign with them. Hopefully this works out and gets completed. After I move this month and get settled in next month I'd be willing to get back into editing again and help.