Sign in to follow this  
wiper

Clients can only use 'group channel', why ?!

Does anyone have a solution for the issue where after getting killed and, strange enough, in the lobby client players are bound to the 'group channel' ?

Even the server is limited to 'group' and 'global channel' and cant use the side channel. Why ?

Do I miss something ?

I strongly hope this is not sort of "cheat preventing" design decision and gets fixed soon.

Oh and, does this also happen using VoN or only applies for the text message system?

Thanks.

"Group Channel" is shared between all dead-people, and all joining-people.

Only during the Briefing and during the game (alive) will you be able to use other channels, or when you are logged in admin.

Well, thanks Sickboy.

This is what i noticed but my question remains: Why ?

And, as you seem to imply, if this is intended, can this be configured ?

I'd rather prefer the old system we had since OF to share the "side channel" for those on the same side or the "global channel", regardless if alive or not.

dead men don't talk?

Probably in the ingame coms for realism as dead men can't communicate with the living.

Hi Wiper

As anfiach says

dead men don't talk?

Helps prevent cheating like:

I have been killed by that enemy who is behind us
I have been killed so I cannot pass on that order you just gave
I have been killed so I cannot blow the bridge the enemy tanks are about to cross anymore

etc.

Also the use of Seaguls and spectator scripts to act as camera drones.

Also dead people whine a lot and are boring

I am dead
What killed me
I did not even see him
The AI Cheats
Well if it was not AI the player cheated
I am dead, I am leet this is wrong
Why Am I dead dead? I am l33t

Etc.

Also reduces the whining from those not yet in game

I am l33t Restart for me
Man I have been here 3 minutes now, I am l33t, I want to play
Why cant I play this game? I am l33t. I have the high score in COD 57
Why cant I play this game? The AI cheats I hope this is not a coop
Why cant I play this game? There are cheats about. No one can beat me I am l33t

etc.

You can of course use teamspeak.

Kind Regards walker

lol @walker. Somkebody h8s l33t-b0bs even more than I do...

Is this moddable though? Or hardcoded?

thanks for your input guys

as mentioned already in my original post I hoped this is NOT some kind of "anti cheat" measures and the like. Appearantly my hopes are now ruined :-)

Well, beside the fact that I think the game was, and is again, one of the best in its genre I'm still aware that it is just that: a game.

Given that plus the fact that I think the guys and myself that play Arma2 together are old enough to decide for ourselfes what kind of communication in a MP enviroment is cheating and what is not, I would like to see an option for the previous MP comm settings in Arma2 as well.

Shouldnt the player/admin have at least the OPTION to decide that ?

So again my question stands: Is there a configuration setting ("server.cfg") to set up the game in a way so that f.e. all members of one side can always talk to each other, without using teamspeak ?

thanks

Its very good as it is. When you die - shut up and dont disturb the remaining players. Has never been a problem to us or anyone i know.

and LOL @ Walker! :D

Alex

Oh dear,

that is the same in Arma2 , is it?

For the record I never understood why that wasn't configurable either.

The same goes for the "Automatic Slot Assignment" that was introduced into ArmA if that is still there for Arma2.

On public servers this feature makes a lot of sense , but there seems no reason to me the limit communication on private servers.

But on the other hand there are so many other things that are so gravely unattended in the Multiplayer part of the game

[from what I am told Arma2 doesn't change all that much , unsuprisingly],

that this is one of the lesser annoyances tho :)

Addendum:

For more constructive criticism I am going to include a link how I would like communication in MP to be: VoIP Communication

If you add to that you can set a config setting for "LobbyUseGlobal = 0/1" , I think that whole stuff is still valid.

Edited by lwlooz

72;1312743']Its very good as it is.
Well' date=' if you prefer that OTHERS decide what you are allowed and what not, then of course as it is is 'very' good for you.

I for myself prefer the freedom of options, particularly when hosting.

72;1312743']

When you die - shut up and dont disturb the remaining players.Alex

But the server player can !

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Oh dear,

On public servers this feature makes a lot of sense , but there seems no reason to me the limit communication on private servers.

Exactly.

But on the other hand there are so many other things that are so gravely unattended in the Multiplayer part of the game [from what I am told Arma2 doesn't change all that much , unsuprisingly], that this is one of the lesser annoyances tho :)

Not to my knowledge. But I must admit that we have only played as three human leaders at max, coop against highly dynamic scripted AI.

In this config Arma2 honestly performs relatively solid, comparable with OFP on its final patch status. Ok, some glitches with player group AI as always but no big issues and solvable most the time. Arma2 performs WAY better than Arma, particularly in regards of the AI. Big kudos to BIS and all involved !

@wiper :

The server admin can, in the setup, and when dead, use both group channel ( when dead, only the dead can hear\read that channel ), and the global channel ( witch everyone can hear \ see. )

The reason for this is most probably, to help stop a posibly winning gain a team would have by a dead man being an uav, and telling were players on the other team is, and what they are doing.

I can understand why that is coded in, and not an option. ( options can be missused )

If it is a big problem that the dead player can't comunicate with the still alive ones, you can use an external application for voice, like teamspeak, or even xfire.

The main reason for this "lock" on the coms is to prevent cheating in tvt games\matches.

(though, that might still be happening via external apps, it makes it a bit harder to do, because you easily can jump channels, atleast in teamspeak )

Thanks Noraf,

if I understand correctly, if it would have been an option it might be exploited by hacking it at any point.

Thus it has been "locked" completely.

*sigh*,

sometimes we may ask ourselfes why people struggling for freedom still seem to be robbed of it by some few who dont understand that they deprive themselfes of it too, by simply using improper short cuts.