Sign in to follow this  
therev709

Can't run AA with Windows 7 RC1 64bit and 4gb ram

As stated in the title I cannot run Arma Gold upgraded to version 1.16beta. I have searched and searched throughout the interwebs and have heard that players have been able to get Arma running on a 64bit OS and 4gb of memory with the newer beta patches. I've tried using 1.14, 1.15, and 1.16 beta patches but none of them work.

When I run the game full screen I just get a black screen with the loading cursor and nothing happens at all. When I run Arma in window mode it crases right after getting to the splash screen. I haven't tried running it with 1gb of mem deactivated or by taking a stick out. If at all possible I'd like to avoid doing either.

Here are my system specs:

AMD Phenom II 955 BE

ATI Radeon HD4890 (975/1150)

4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 OCZ Memory

MSI 790FX-GD70

WD Caviar Black 1TB HD

All running Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 64 bit edition OS

---------- Post added at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

BTW I have the latest catalyst drivers and am running DX11.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Ok, I "kinda" fixed it . . .

I wasn't synching the shortcut to the beta .exe file. So now the game loads in full screen . . . but crashes almost as soon as i get past the "atari" and "nvidia" logos on the main menu screen. :(

I run ArmA on Windows 7 with 4GB RAM with no issues, and so do a bunch of other people from what I have read. Do you get any error messages? Also, have you looked at some of the troubleshooting posts relating to HD4870s/HD4890s?

I have to say that I have NVidia but Im running ArmA on 64-bit OSes since 1.04. No problems like that at all. Now I have win7 64 too and no problems again. It even works slightly better then vista but this is really minimum difference.

Same here. Win7 x64 RC 7100 with 8GB RAM/Nvidia and have no issues. Probably your ATI card.
or a timing issue with his ram, other H/W.

7100 was OK, problems started in 7600. ArmA 1.14 is just a bunch of grey blocks (unplayable at all). ArmA 1.16 runs well.

1.16 beta works great but the problem is

bohemia released only windows server patch 1.16 beta !!!!

my favorite server are linux server and this one runs only with 1.14 !

we need an new final patch or a linux server patch 1.16 beta.

it is so stupid to release only windows server 1.16 beta patch from bohemia and no linux 1.16 beta patch.

i cant understand this handle.

bohemia write 1.17 come soon, FOR MONTHS ago !!!

before ArmA doesn´t run correctly on all x64 system with over 4gb rams and ati cards, i doesnt buy ArmA 2 or another games from bohemia!

I'm on Win 7 RTM 7600 (release to manuf) 64bit, 4GB also run HIS 3850 Turbo and have no issues.

512MB HIS 3850 Turbo X

4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX

2.8 D/C AMD 5600+

DFI LP DK-790FX M2RS

Audigy 2 - Value

160GB VelicoRaptor

Run game on high settings and runs smooth as glass.

If you run Windows 7, especially with 64bit, make sure and enable (unhide) default admin account at least once!! This will help with driver installs with your account eventhough you are an admin. I had issues with Audigy drivers till this was done!!

How to Enable Admin account in Win 7

Not related to problem, but will help!!! I'd also suggest that you map your Page file or Virtual memory, don't let windows manage it!!! even if you think you have enough memory where "virtual memory" wotn take over, its best to map 1.5-2 x physical memory EVEN if you don't use it...trust me, our CAD/ Revit and 3DS rendering machines at work run smooth and would die if they didn't!!!

Setting Page Filing

1.5 times your RAM is the standard Microsoft recommended setting. So 2Gb RAM is 3Gb Swap and 4Gb RAM = 6 Gb Swap. But these are just minimum recommended settings! I definitely wouldn’t set it to a lower setting. That might seriously hamper your system!!!

I myself prefer a fixed swap file size of double the amount of my RAM. It is best to move your swapfile to a partition on another hdd. But do not move your swapfile to another partition if you have only one HDD. In that case leave it on C.

There’s a lot of info about pagefiles/swapfiles on the net. You can easily confirm my recommendations. There’s a lot more to know about this topic, but this should get you started.

we wait on a patch to fix this problem.

or for a linux server patch 1.16 beta.

we can play with 1.16beta !!!

but i cant, but we cant play on favorite linix server, there was only linux server patch 1.14 !!!!!

it must work, non change system settings!

same problem here, the little square boxes finished checking then black screen with a cursor. I have to end task to windows. See my sig for computer specs.