Sign in to follow this  
cropduster

Any good results with NVIDIA 186.08 driver?

Did anyone try this driver? I currently use 182.50 with good results, but 186.08 is quite fresh. Anyone trie dit?

Michael

Seems like the issue is still there also with 186.08, which owner of GTX cards experience:

Sorry, german language board:

http://hx3.de/technische-fragen-probleme-162/nvidia-186-08-beta-16573/

I also ha dthis flickering and bad fps with 185.85, which was solved by going back to 182.50. Seems like 186.08 still has this issue. Anyone else has tested it?

Regards,

Michael

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Ok, I tried it myself and again, I get texture issues. The video ram is again not corerctly recognized on my 280 GTX, so I am going back to 182.50 :-(

Michael

I have a 8800GTX and prior to ArmA II installation I updated to 185.85.

This caused that ArmA switched to a refresh rate to 60Hz, but never returned to the normal 85Hz, manual setting was even not working anymore. Had to reboot my system to fix that.

With 186.08 it was solved, despite that I suffer still from the "Receiving bug".

This caused that ArmA switched to a refresh rate to 60Hz, but never returned to the normal 85Hz, manual setting was even not working anymore. Had to reboot my system to fix that.

With 186.08 it was solved, despite that I suffer still from the "Receiving bug".

It would be wise to avoid 185.xx and 186.xx based drivers if you :

A : Have an Nvidia GT200 based card (GTX 280 for example).

B : Use SLI with the above based cards.

There are major issues with these drivers and ArmA 2 (I've done quite a bit of testing). These drivers do not allow you to select the proper graphics options and cause graphical corruption (which can subsequently corrupt your savegames).

182.50/52 seem to be the best choice (and tbh they are fine with everything else as well).

Eth

PS : I also notice that my card temps are significantly higher using 185.xx/186. Hopefully, the 186.10 WHQL that is supposed to be released today or tomorrow will fix the issues with these drivers, ArmA 2 and the GTX 2xx series of cards.

I doubt that the 186.10 WHQL drivers will have any significant fixes compared to the 186.08 betas. That's pretty rare considering WHQL usually has a couple of minor fixes/tweaks more than the betas.

I doubt that the 186.10 WHQL drivers will have any significant fixes compared to the 186.08 betas. That's pretty rare considering WHQL usually has a couple of minor fixes/tweaks more than the betas.

I agree - just trying to remain optimistic ;) The 185/186 drivers are rife with problems and really dont provide any significant increase in performance.

Eth

You can always edit your cfg file

refresh=60;

change 60 to 85.

:butbut:

This is new to me. I'm on 185.85 with a GTX285... I guess I should try rolling back later and see what happens.

The 185 however seem to be pretty good for WinXP and 9-Series or 8-Series cards. Just so people don't all roll back to 182.

:butbut:

This is new to me. I'm on 185.85 with a GTX285... I guess I should try rolling back later and see what happens.

I cant speak for XP as I dont use it anymore but I know these drivers have issues in Vista.

Eth

I agree - just trying to remain optimistic ;) The 185/186 drivers are rife with problems and really dont provide any significant increase in performance.

Eth

Honestly, I have found the 186.08 to be the best since the 182.5 driver.

All the 185.XX drivers had massive problems with Empire Total War.

Also on my rig the 182.5 driver gives me a heap more CTD's then 186.08

I am using GTX295.

Each card/driver has its own perculiars so can't comment on other GPUs and these drivers jsut my experiences. No driver gives me SLi Support in this game however.

I cant speak for XP as I dont use it anymore but I know these drivers have issues in Vista.

Eth

I'm actually on the Windows 7 RC and I noticed that the 182 drivers aren't even available there. The only older driver available is the 181.71, which had some issues according to a colleague of mine.

I guess I'll just wait and see how the next one is. It's not like my performance is so bad that I need to start fiddling around with drivers anyway. :)

I'm actually on the Windows 7 RC and I noticed that the 182 drivers aren't even available there. The only older driver available is the 181.71, which had some issues according to a colleague of mine.

I guess I'll just wait and see how the next one is. It's not like my performance is so bad that I need to start fiddling around with drivers anyway. :)

Im running Vista 64 182.52 in Win 7 (7227) with no issues. MS would like us to believe that Win 7 is some huge departure from Vista but I can assure you, it isn't.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

no problems with 185.85 and 186.08 with G200 & xp-home. Better performance for me than 182.50.

no problems with 185.85 and 186.08 with G200 & xp-home. Better performance for me than 182.50.

Yah but you cant select certain options and the it corrupts the saves (can take hours before it happens).

The Performance in ArmA 2 is the same (185.xx may be faster for other games) but in ArmAmark, they are within 10 digits of each other.

Eth