Sign in to follow this  
toby23

TrackIR4 Pro + ArmA2 = NO 6DOF???

My TrackIR works fine with ArmA2.

I can look left, right, up, down and zoom in and out, 6DOF as advertised.

There is however no roll, no side to side and no vertical up and down.

Would be great to see this added in a patch.

Edit

I am confused... I cannot get 6DOF working, I am missing X and Y axis. (Yes, they are checked in the trackir options)

Edited by toby23

What you're describing is not 6 DOF.

6 DOF = movement along X, Y and Z axis, and rotation around X, Y and Z axis.

Defining X as left/right, Y as up/down and Z as forward/backward:

Looking left/right = 1 DOF (turning around the Y axis)

Looking up/down = 1 DOF (turning around the X axis)

Zoom in/out = 1 DOF (moving along the Z axis), though it's not really a DOF since it's really, like said, zoom in/out, and not actual head movement back and forth. You wouldn't get so much zoom difference if you really just moved your head back and forth.

Doesn't turning around the Z axis (or is it movement along the X axis) get used for leaning? That would be a "4th DOF" (though the 3rd one doesn't really count).

What you're describing is not 6 DOF.

6 DOF = movement along X, Y and Z axis, and rotation around X, Y and Z axis.

That's what I was thinking Galzohar.

I am used to full freedom of movement with my trackIR in sims like FSX or Black Shark.

I was a bit dissapointed that I can only move left, right, pitch up and down and zoom in and out.... I'm really missing the other degrees of movement.

I know this isn't a flight sim but it would be great if (X and Y axis) the developers could include this soon....

As advertised on the trackIR website, ArmA2 is sold as using all 6 axis... Perhaps this will be added...hmmm

At the moment ArmA2 does NOT support all 6 Degrees of Freedom.

BUT...

This guy got them all to work in ArmA1 using Kegetys Armalib addon so it shouldn't be long before its available for ArmA2 :D (hopefully)

Edited by EDcase

Hmm that looks sweet. Hope they fix it soon :)

You really should consult natural point on this, the 6DOF advertise it's in their website and you only have yaw, pitch, roll? and x axis in ArmA2.

Edit

I am confused... I cannot get 6DOF working, I am missing X and Y axis. (Yes, they are checked in the trackir options)

you may be needing to upgrade the TIR software to the latest one.

Arma2 only supports 4DOF. There is no vertical head movement or Z-Axis rotation.

More like 3.5 DOF, since the Z axis movement for zooming in/out doesn't really count imo, since it's not really head movement but rather a zoom feature tied to your trackIR axis.

Edit

I would love Y to be integrated into the infantry model, so you could subtlely move up and down from any stance. But, I think the main problem is related to animating the skeleton. If they don't have the animations for this kind of movement already created, the world view model would tear, which would look very crappy. :) Still, with some time, it definitely *can* be animated. I mean, it's programming. With enough time, you can do pretty much anything.

Edited by Placebo

Is it possible to disable the lean left/right feture when your walking around?

And is it possible to disable track IR in total when aiming in zoomed in mode?

Is it possible to disable the lean left/right feture when your walking around?

And is it possible to disable track IR in total when aiming in zoomed in mode?

If you have your zoom mapped to your right mouse button in ArmA 2, you can map the same button to "pause" in the TrackIR software. Just make sure that Trap and Toggle aren't checked, and it should pause while you zoom, and unpause when you stop zooming. Haven't tried this personally, but it should work??

Edited by Placebo

Where on the web site does Naturalpoint actually say ArmA2 is 6DOF? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

OT and/or Anti-NP rants deleted/edited.

wow... my rant was about 4DOF vs 6DOF and was thus on-topic.

so back on topic: any plans to add 6DOF to the game, or is this going to have to come from a community mod?

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Where on the web site does Naturalpoint actually say ArmA2 is 6DOF? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

It does not claim 6DOF on their site.

I like how they put graphics showing clearly which degrees of freedom are supported per game. The only thing that I wish that they would add is a compatibility icon also which shows which versions of TrackIR work with each title. Maybe this is coming, but nowhere does their site say that my TIR2 will not work with ArmA2. :( That is a bit misleading.

Edited by tsar bomba

On the NaturalPoint ArmA 2 games page, it lists how to enable TrackIR support for the TrackIR 4, and TrackIR 5 software (with ArmA 2). Unfortunately this leaves out support for the TRackIR 1/2 hardware, as the TrackIR 4/5 software only supports the TrackIR 3/4/5 cameras.

On the NaturalPoint ArmA 2 games page, it lists how to enable TrackIR support for the TrackIR 4, and TrackIR 5 software (with ArmA 2). Unfortunately this leaves out support for the TRackIR 1/2 hardware, as the TrackIR 4/5 software only supports the TrackIR 3/4/5 cameras.

Right, because the API was encrypted. So my TIR2 is likely to not work for any future release unless the new TIR software adds this device back.

But hey, at least i can still use it for ArmA1. :/

Unfortunately the last supported version of the TrackIR software, which has support for the TrackIR 2, was version 3.13 which hasn't been in active development since December of 2004

anyone able to do this in Arma 2 with Trackir? I don't think I can do this ingame, but I'm not at home to test it right now.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDBqBwHw_qs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDBqBwHw_qs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Unfortunately the last supported version of the TrackIR software, which has support for the TrackIR 2, was version 3.13 which hasn't been in active development since December of 2004
For those that would like more info on this, I've outlined some back story here.

Natural point changed it after my "Anti-NP rants" that were deleted in this post.

This forums are getting really populated by NP staff, it's great to see you all here!