Sign in to follow this  
gunzz

WW2 mod?

I see people have posted screenshots of a world war 2 mod for arma 2, and I've seen videos on youtube of it, where can I get it?!It looks great

It's not out. And it won't be for a while.

Yes but people already have it, Idc if its just a beta version

People don't have it. It's only John from I44.

It's an ArmA mod, you can try putting the content to ArmA2 via a mod folder, but don't complain if it doesn't work.

ah so it snot even for arma 2? :(

They are working on it for ArmA2. I've seen the video, but they won't release it anytime soon.

They are working on it for ArmA2. I've seen the video, but they won't release it anytime soon.

i cant wait

John doesn't have ARMA2. I've been putting the videos up. We are working on the port, it shouldn't take that long to release.

cool thanks for the info! if you need a beta tester hit me up :D

John doesn't have ARMA2. I've been putting the videos up. We are working on the port, it shouldn't take that long to release.

:icon_dj:

Yeah, but you are John as well, maybe Mehman knows your real name ;)

When the ArmA2 port is released also depends on when BIS releases their editing tools, since we can only put in MLOD (non-encrypted) models right now, and we're not going to release until we can convert them to ODOL (encrypted) format to protect our Intellectual Property rights.

When the ArmA2 port is released also depends on when BIS releases their editing tools, since we can only put in MLOD (non-encrypted) models right now

*hint* *hint* for BIS

Serpentin from BWMod said in another thread that it should work with the current BinPBO, so we'll try that.

When the ArmA2 port is released also depends on when BIS releases their editing tools, since we can only put in MLOD (non-encrypted) models right now

arma2 can run old odol models just as well ;) but it's impossible to cinvert infantry without new skeletne definition. and i doubt it will be published any time soon

I think we still have to wait for some time to get such converting config. Now BIS just busy in releasing their different language versions around the globe and giving new patches for game, etc.... By way, if they also think the same way to protect their I.P.R. and maybe never release anything for making third-party addons.. Oh, too bad if that's the case..

Edited by RUDOLF

Yeah, but you are John as well, maybe Mehman knows your real name ;)

When the ArmA2 port is released also depends on when BIS releases their editing tools, since we can only put in MLOD (non-encrypted) models right now, and we're not going to release until we can convert them to ODOL (encrypted) format to protect our Intellectual Property rights.

Mlod is editable in Oxygen.

Odol is not editable in Oxygen.

There is no encryption or non-encryption in either file format.

Odol is simply a file format that has been optimized from the editable material for better performance in the gaming engine.

Having your models in mlod or odol format is irrelevant to whether your Intellectual Property rights are protected or not.

They are protected irrespective of the format, well only to the extent you wish to persue those rights and they are upheld.

It's just a side-effect that you are afforded some small modicum of 'protection' from oppotunistic numpties.

I'm sorry to 'burst-your-bubble' if you were under the impression that ODOL meant that you were protected. It affords you no more or less 'protection' than MLOD does.

Odol is simply a file format that has been optimized from the editable material for better performance in the gaming engine.

Having your models in mlod or odol format is irrelevant to whether your Intellectual Property rights are protected or not.

They are protected irrespective of the format, well only to the extent you wish to persue those rights and they are upheld.

It's just a side-effect that you are afforded some small modicum of 'protection' from oppotunistic numpties.

I'm sorry to 'burst-your-bubble' if you were under the impression that ODOL meant that you were protected. It affords you no more or less 'protection' than MLOD does.

That as may be true theoretically,but what the issue is - for me anyhow...

odol affords you protection in such a way as say,music copyright.

Those "numpties",may take the MLOD .p3d model file,change a few pixels and some textures and claim the work as original just as some bottomcrawler may change some lyrics and a bit of bassline and also call it their own.

However where music has no "real" protection,the .p3d format does,even if the format was originally developed for game optimization,it does prevent "numpties" from opportunistic plagarism.

I have seen various models and textures being imported into games from other games even,and modders work "re-issued!" and I am under no illusion anything I make would never be used without my permission in some other game or project:D

You cannot open ODOL models in Oxygen by default, that's already more protection than MLOD offers. Trusting on the goodwill of people to respect your rights is naive as we've found out all too often with the OFP Oosterbeek files that were partially left in MLOD format (I had over a dozen of unauthorized (partial) ports to deal with in under a year after ArmA's release despite a quite clear public notice that any use in any game other than OFP was not allowed), which is why we value everything that makes it harder to steal, if only a little bit.

Without digressing to far from the topic of this thread the desire was simply to dispell the misnomer stated previously.

I thought my post was quite clear and specific but I'll reiterate it for you.

That as may be true theoretically,but what the issue is - for me anyhow...

It's not theory... It's a fact.

However where music has no "real" protection,the .p3d format does...

There are more esoteric music file formats & copyright protection mechanisms in existence than there are ascii characters in this thread. (A slight exageration but it's more accurate than your statement.)

As I stated in the previous post. The file formats exist to facilitate the game. There purpose is not as a copyright protection mechanism and as such afford you zero protection in this regard.

Your protection with regard to content stems from copyright law. As an added aside there's a code-of-conduct sponsored in part by BIS and the community at large. These are your means of protection, not as it were the file formats.

Those "numpties",may take the MLOD .p3d model file,change a few pixels and some textures and claim the work as original...

And, if they released it too the community they would be ostrocised fairly quickly. Also, if the agrieved party felt strongly enough about the infringement there recourse is the copyright protection laws.

Also, if there is a desire there to grab your model for some nefarious purpose they will whether it's in mlod format or odol format.

The modding community tends to be a low pressure zone when it comes to infractions of this nature. Meaning, eventually everyone hears about it.

Anyhoo, I've written too much about nothing really... odol = not encrypted was point that I wanted to make.