Sign in to follow this  
mrcash2009

All Things Sound Mods

Yes mrcash I did have an 'issue' with that dodgy config...LOL, but that was then, you actually made me think about the whole addon concept...so in your own way you contributed to helping HiFi make the 1st modular sound addon (something We're very proud of). Anyways, I again totally agree with getting some sound related thread stickied, maybe somewhere we can share info on the holy grail that is sound configs.. I know andersson would be able to answer alot of those sorta questions as well Kju and some other config gurus dotted about the forums. We should start A2 with a consolidated stance on helping each other :)

Regarding Kju's templates, I hope he looked at Novus Aevum before he started working on his own. I'm not boasting as its not my work but those configs are a work of art :). Also not just from the 'Config' point of view. We thought long and hard about the best and most flexible banding of sounds per module ie; Sonic cracks/Bullet hits/small arms/vehical arms etc. I mean you could make individual weapon modules if you liked, or maybe even a series of weapons..As long as the core config info and classes are the same we're good for some serious sound advancement!!!

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

If I was going to to do some modules...Here's how I'd maybe band the sounds..

Ejecting Brass sounds (1 module - 4 sets of sounds based on light, medium, large & heavy caliber)

Bullethit sounds (1 module - same as above based on caliber)

Sonic cracks (1 module - ALL cracks & whizzes for everything)

Well, just some idea's to get the ball rolling so to speak...

Anyway the walking sounds now I hear them in-game are very nice actually I take that back, most sounds out of the box a far better than Arma1 (they were pretty awfull) ... a few variations on the explosions/grenade and supersonic cracks, better rocket launcher & AT weapon sounds and better a10 weapon/engine sounds and I think that's all I would be interested in hearing changed to be honest. HMMV sounds good too, nice wheel/track sounds when moving slow over grass.

SOUND MODDERS REQUEST

Could sound modders maybe this time round for Arma2 bit alot more modular in the aproach to sounds? For example Rob hammer will have a heli pack, so then maybe a AK sound pack, US weapon pack, vehicle pack, footstep pack, ambience pack ... etc etc. Would be real nice to have modular pbo approach in order to not use what you dont like and change what you do.

I was checking out the youtube footage of ArmA2, the foot steps I think should still have a little more bass or some "pumfp" like, they sound too much like someone with flat feet running barefoot on concrete or wet concrete. Has anyone noticed if there was some combat jingle with the running? Some cloth friction sound?

Still I am holding on to ArmA, trying to resist the temptation to buy ArmA2, grinning and bearing it

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Have you guys played America's Army 3 yet? I would highly recommend checking out the weapon sounds in that. They are the best I've ever heard in a game.

I have checked it out. I'm not too impressed, yet, the sounds in there are contrary to the idea I had back when OFP came out and in ArmA, when people heard some of the sounds I made they said they sounded like paint ball guns. Now that AA3 came out and testimony was made to how the sounds were implicated into the game people are saying "they sound so real" where as people used to say the ones I made sound like someone poking a card board box hahahahh. I thought it was funny.

Yeah the sounds from AA3 are impressive (and real) to an extent but they left out a lot of nuances and reverberation, specially around reflective areas like walls and forest areas. The sounds are more suited for open fielded areas. The SAW is just horrible. I posted some feedback on AA3 forums, I decided not to argue with any hardcore AA gamers out there, they are die hard dedicated to the developers, which the California Devs were fired.