Sign in to follow this  
Red Spar

V-22 Osprey rudder authori-tay

I'm a bit too tired to go into greater detail, but if you know how the cyclic works to control a helicopter's movement, then you know how the cyclic control is working on the Osprey. Basically the blades alter their angle of attack while travelling around the rotor axis, creating a (virtual) shift in the lift vector.

Edited by jagheterjan
Typos are the devil. Them and bobby cars, trolley cases and cobblestone.

The Osprey yaws in the hover by varying the amount of torque load on either contra-rotating rotor.
It essentialy does it like a Chinook......... Thats basically all it is in hover a sideways chinook...
;1871644']So' date=' what's your version on how Osprey yaws?

And what I wrote up there it's not "my" explanation, I remember watching a vid somewhere and also some article...

EDIT: Found this in wiki (maybe not the best source):

[url']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiltrotor#Controls[/url]

"Yaw is controlled by tilting its rotors in opposite directions."

There's my take on it. That's why I was complaining about being invisible. These posts only have one post in between yours.

Edited by Max Power

@Fail Cakes: Thx. I got it now... Somehow I forgot for a moment how a normal heli works...

@Max Power: Well, I read it, but I didn't make any sense back then. Now it's all clear to me.

Sry for the mess I've done...

You'd have to or it would be pretty worthless for landing in all but the most open spaces.

Right now the Arma 2 V-22 is impossible to get in and out of tight LZs in any timely fashion.

Not if you're a good pilot, know the LZ, and thus line up the MV-22 properly. But yes the MV-22 is a little under-developed in this game. The MV-22 should, in keeping with basic physics, control yaw by tilting the rotor disks in opposite directions, as with the Chinook, atleast when VTOL is engaged. However I wasn't aware the Osprey was actually capable of tilting its engine pylons past 0 (by that I mean tilting past the completely upright position). Can it actually? Either way I've never liked the US Army favouring the Osprey over the Chinook.

I think the Army actually doesn't want the Osprey. It's the Marines and the Navy that have them, I think

What, am I invisible? The mv-22 does not tilt its rotors to yaw, and does not require airflow over its control surfaces.

You're telling me :)

I think my post was too long because it doesn't look like anybody has read it :p

Seems that there's confusion around the term "tilting the rotors".

To clarify, there are two types of "tilt" here; one is caused by increasing the angle of attack of the rotors to "tilt the discs", which is referred to as cyclic control. This is common to all helicopters.

The second is the "tilt" of the engine and rotor assembiles to convert from rotary to fixed wing flight. This type of tilt is actuated by motors in the engine compartments, not by altering the pitch of the rotors. Also, to answer and earlier question the Osprey's engines can be tilted 7.5 degrees past vertical.

Yaw control is achieved by applying differential lift to each rotor using the cyclic control, not by tilting the enigne and rotor assembilies. I've done a bit more research (yes my day job is that boring) and I'm pretty certain that Ospreys don't "split" their engines.

I don't think the osprey has lag or flapping hinges so I don't think its discs tilt.

Not if you're a good pilot, know the LZ, and thus line up the MV-22 properly. But yes the MV-22 is a little under-developed in this game. The MV-22 should, in keeping with basic physics, control yaw by tilting the rotor disks in opposite directions, as with the Chinook, atleast when VTOL is engaged. However I wasn't aware the Osprey was actually capable of tilting its engine pylons past 0 (by that I mean tilting past the completely upright position). Can it actually? Either way I've never liked the US Army favouring the Osprey over the Chinook.

The Chinook is a dangerous lumbering beast of a thing.

I don't think the osprey has lag or flapping hinges so I don't think its discs tilt.

yeah I reckon you're right; from what i've read the Osprey uses a pretty run of the mill swashplate assembly to control the angle of attack of the blades; the discs don't physically "tilt" as most people think but the unbalanced lift caused by cyclic input "tilts" the lift vector of the disc.

For Yaw control, one of the Osprey's discs generate a forward and inward component of lift while the other generates a rearward and inward component of lift. this would cause yaw.

Someone said earlier that Yaw is achieved by varying the amount of Torque in each rotor, I can't see how this is possible without varying the amount of lift (as torque and lift are related) which would mean that a yawing effect could be created, but a significant rolling force (caused by the rotors producing uneven lift) would occur.

But hey I might be wrong, if someone could explain it to me I'd be grateful.

Someone said earlier that Yaw is achieved by varying the amount of Torque in each rotor, I can't see how this is possible without varying the amount of lift (as torque and lift are related) which would mean that a yawing effect could be created, but a significant rolling force (caused by the rotors producing uneven lift) would occur.

I said that. I think I might have been recalling information about the ka-50 and not the osprey, tho :p