Sign in to follow this  
GoodKnight

Fade protection Double edged sword?

Hi all,

As a former pirater I would like to say something about the

Fade Protection I've been hearing about.

At the time when I used to download games it was as

1 big demo.

If I liked I'd buy and if not I would just stop playing.

What I'm saying is the Fade Protection will not allow

downloaders to see if they like the game or not.

Also I would like to add that had I downloaded the game

even without the fade protection I would not have bought the

game.

Not until I was sure all the bugs are fixed or that there

was a significant discount.

Just to remove all doubts Yes I have a legit copy!

The problem is there will be quite a few people that will pirate it and think "This is fun, but not enough to want to buy it, so I'll keep playing it for a while"

This section of downloaders/pirates is a lot higher than most web communities want to make out, since for the most part they aren't even a part of such communities; The forums and website community members are the tip of an iceberg. I've seen an indie game or two that I was quite passionate about essentially end up nearly going under because a pirate version of the game got out in to public space (the first example that comes to mind is D3 company (now seemingly in crisis)'s B.A.S.E. sim, which suffered losses and had to implement a quite rugged anti piracy system after the german/russian versions of the game that they'd sold to a major publisher got pirated)

Edited by DaveP

Fade allows you to see if you like it. Your aim might go crazy...and you might die randomly and turn into a seagull....but if you're only trying it to see if you like the game, thats more than enough to check it out.

If you want to play it properly...you have to buy it ;)

I think its the other way around, they can see what the game is like, but they cant really shoot anything because of the fading.

All the devs need to do is make it so if someone does have fading, they know that it is actually a copy protection method and not just that the games weapons are really inaccurate. So BIS need to make it come up in the corner of the screen in big letters saying "This game is suffering from FADING."

Otherwise the people who pirated the game will just uninstall it thinking that all the weapons suck and that its not a good game. Alot of pirates are potential customers, just like you were. But if they walk away from the game thinking that the fading was part of it they wont buy it, they will tell all of their friends its crap and not to get it as well.

Where as if it is clearly displayed that the fading is happening because of their illegal copy they can play about with it and then buy it if they like it, knowing that the fading problems wont be on their valid copys.

honestly im not going to admit anything here, but so far i will be buying arma 2! yes as much as i am tempted to download the game right now and play, im not going to, but i am going to wait and support BIS because i have my trust in them that they have released a great game. So yes i will be buying it!, and yes i agree alot of pirates are potential customers, usually if they really like the game especially if they think the MP will be worthwhile they go buy a legit copy. But i really can't comment anyhow further because i think i will be breaking the rules..

In before the lock ;)

I've never seen FADE in action, but if all it does is to make you a really bad shot, then I'd say it was a good system. You can tell the game is good, but that you cannot be good until you buy it, I think it's inspired :)

You do know that they have said there will be a demo of this available before 19th June release don't you?

No need to pirate!!

yep i know which is why i will wait. Ive bought legit copies of arma and ofp before.. and im going to again, arma2<< buying

In earlier games, Fade would always announce itself too when it activated, "legitimate copys don't fade" was it in OFP I think.

Edited by Helmut_AUT

A demo is to allow people to see if they like the game or not, a demo will be released soon.

We do not allow discussions about piracy or copy protection on our forums, for obvious reasons.