Sign in to follow this  
CzingerX

Arma 2 Dynamic Campaign Questions.

One of the selling points for me about this game is the Dynamic Campaign system I've heard about. I've played OFP and ARMA pretty hardcore. So I wanted to know how in depth it really is. I know alittle about a front line that evolves while playing. So I have a couple of questions regarding this.

1.) Is speech dialogue diverse or do you not get too many options in ways to talk to people? I'm talking about more than just a couple of lines to always select from, for every person around.

2.) Are there battles taking place on other parts of the map that your not involved in. Like say I finish a mission and decide to wander to other parts of the map, can I expect to see airstrikes on targets and other battles going on.

That's it for the time being. Anything else anyone can add would be appreciated. Thank you.

1.) The options are the same for most npcs; Targets, Weather and Location. Campaign npcs usually have more dialogue options.

2.) Yes. It's called Ambient Combat. Battles are created dynamically around the player.

I have not gotten far in the Campaign yet. But it starts out pretty intense. Its not dynamic just yet. I'm still be led around by my squad leader. About 5 missions in.

But from messing around with the Editor.. The battles are dynamic and we can now control many squads, and units of men, tanks etc as a High Commander. Which I think comes later in the campaign. The part I'm not at yet.

The campaign is about 30 Times better just the first 5 missions then anything I have played in any previous Arma or OFP game. Its great. (has bugs still but nothing like the messes from the past)

the system does offer to have dynamic campaign, but i think (I dont have the game yet) the official campaign that come with the game is not really dynamic. maybe semi dynamic. you still have to go to mission1 -> mission2 -> mission3 -> etc..

but how will success/failure affect subsequent mission I dont know. maybe thats what the OP wish to know.

just to reiterate again that I dont have the game yet, so pls dont put too much weight on my words.

Thank you

Thank you for the reply's. I was kinda hoping that you can, just by just intel and word of mouth from the civilians find and carry out missions in your own regard, rather than being force feed missions that you have to accomplish to win the war.

What I'm trying to say is being able to find and carry out your own missions to move the front line and win the war at your pace. Though I understand that many players like being able to be forced missions and kinda having there hand held, with the outside being dynamic.

Thank you for the reply's. I was kinda hoping that you can, just by just intel and word of mouth from the civilians find and carry out missions in your own regard, rather than being force feed missions that you have to accomplish to win the war.

What I'm trying to say is being able to find and carry out your own missions to move the front line and win the war at your pace. Though I understand that many players like being able to be forced missions and kinda having there hand held, with the outside being dynamic.

It's a mixture of both. The first couple missions are linear, but the game gradually opens up as it progresses. Without crossing into too much spoiler territory, your squad has underlying goals. How you achieve them and your pace is totally up to you. There are pivotal points where the overarching story moves forward and you are forced to do a particular mission, but I'm sure you understand why. If you're worried about the campaign's dynamism, trust me, it's not something to worry about. The experience is totally unique. There is nothing else like it out there.

I have gotten father into the campaign. And now I'm at a point where I have to find someone. I have free roam of the whole map to find him. I can go to different towns that are in Friendly territory and question Civies. I can also go into enemy territory and do the same.

This part of the camp seems to be totally dynamic... Not so much that I'm sure the guy that I have to find is in the same place no matter how many times you play. But the fact that I actually have to search for him all in real time.

I have gotten father into the campaign. And now I'm at a point where I have to find someone. I have free roam of the whole map to find him. I can go to different towns that are in Friendly territory and question Civies. I can also go into enemy territory and do the same.

This part of the camp seems to be totally dynamic... Not so much that I'm sure the guy that I have to find is in the same place no matter how many times you play. But the fact that I actually have to search for him all in real time.

Totally AWESOME!:yay:

EDIT: But be aware not to spoil.

I should know better than to ask such a dumb question after so many years of it not being possible in OFP or Arma 1 but....

Its a campaign, its multiplayer.... can you save the game and carry on from where you left later?? with more than one person???

That WOULD be awesome, but I thought with so many variables etc it wasnt possible...

I should know better than to ask such a dumb question after so many years of it not being possible in OFP or Arma 1 but....

Its a campaign, its multiplayer.... can you save the game and carry on from where you left later?? with more than one person???

That WOULD be awesome, but I thought with so many variables etc it wasnt possible...

If I understand your question right, you can find the answer in answer two here http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-assault-armed-assault-2-discussion/140085-answers-armed-assault-ii-q-post.html

"Yes. The main campaign supports cooperative multi-player mode and includes the possibility to save and load mission for all participants."

Hi patrol - thanks! - Yes - thats EXACTLY what I meant!

Cheers for the link!

This opens up huge possibilitys for clever missionmakers, and the arma community has some olympic-level ones!

Loooong story driven campaigns that take a few frienda a week of evenings to complete.... maybe "serialised" missions... (tune in next week and download the next exciting episode.....), hehehe..... oops.... ideas overload - hafta lie down... :D

B

Edited by Bushlurker