Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

garbage collector module?

Do someone know what the garbage collector Module (in German: Müllsammler) means or do? If I place it on the map I don't find a garbage mobil or a garbage collector. :)

This is probably a programming term. Java and C# have a garbage collector for example that frees memory of variables that arent used anymore. For ArmA2 I think it removes dead bodies or something else that isnt needed anymore.

ah ok, lol and I searched for people how cleanup the street or the dustbins. :D

Thanks T_D. :)

Lol, I really thought a Garbage collector would come around and pick up garbage from the towns!

The Garbage Collector is a module that is used internally by some other modules. It basically cleans up dynamically created content (units, groups, markers, etc.) that is not used anymore. This prevents the game from running slower and slower because of an abundance of objects. It can be used by anyone independently however, more info to follow :)

I thought the exact same thing! haha

Some more info on the new editor functions and such would be greatly appreciated though, what the new possibilities are etc.

Especially the scripting part, how this is made easier, because so far i havent found any pre-made scripts yet other then game logics.

The Garbage Collector is a module that is used internally by some other modules. It basically cleans up dynamically created content (units, groups, markers, etc.) that is not used anymore. This prevents the game from running slower and slower because of an abundance of objects. It can be used by anyone independently however, more info to follow :)

OMG this is awesome!!!! :yay:

Sounds like a nice tool to put into mission editing to make those bigger mpmissions lag alot less. :)

I guess only markers created by the engine will be deleted when appropiate, not user created ones, right? Doesn't make sense to me at least, but hey ... :)

Clean up markers?

This means markers you created in a mission and trashed. Trashing means you have to register stuff you want garbage collected by calling the BIS_GC_trashItFunc function. The garbage collector then tries to remove the content after a while, like when you are not in the vicinity.

The garbage collector is capable of moving a light speed and it's not an actual garbage truck with crew which is collecting trash in Chernarus ... although that would also be rather cool ;) :p

The garbage collector is capable of moving a light speed and it's not an actual garbage truck with crew which is collecting trash in Chernarus ... although that would also be rather cool ;) :p

OH man and heres me looking to play another great classic game of TRASHMAN upgraded from the sinclair spectrum :D ...

Do we have to sync it to any other module ?some exe ? etc:confused: id like it to collect dead bodies, destroyed vehicles and secop generated content

Thanks for the explanation. One thing though. For units, placed in the editor or scripted creation of, do we call the function with the living units or add it as part of a killed eventHandler? I'm not in a position to test this stuff yet :) That is still 3-450 hours away :D

This module probably does not do everything that you may expect it to do, like automatically removing dead bodies. Trashing content is done on a case-by-case basis.

One example we use it for: after a SecOp is finished, we trash all content created for this SecOp. Since we don't want the player to stand in a base and have it be instantly removed, the Garbage Collector is used to remove it after a while and after the player moved away. The SecOps module itself tracks the content it creates and passes it on to the GC.

This means markers you created in a mission and trashed. Trashing means you have to register stuff you want garbage collected by calling the BIS_GC_trashItFunc function. The garbage collector then tries to remove the content after a while, like when you are not in the vicinity.

LOLZ he the civies gotta work too don't they...expecially after a bunch of eager ArmA2 olayers come thru messing there cities up:bounce3:

Lol, I really thought a Garbage collector would come around and pick up garbage from the towns!

Binkowski - lol - you are a tripper...