Sign in to follow this  
gagagu

How to create a dedicated server

I cannot understand that there is no official manual how to configure a server.

Instead to release some stupid flash games (sorry) you should invest your time to fix the bugs, create a usable webinterface and manuals for host a server.

Hosting a server is like a quiz show here....

greets

Yes, but that is still ArmA and not ArmA2 config, so if someone could show to the differences and how to setup a dedicated server. I would apprieciete it.

There is no difference, except that the name of the config files have changed.

And as an edit: I've used exactly the same config files (server.cfg, arma.cfg and profile, the two last renamed for A2) that I've used for ArmA 1.

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

Yes, but that is still ArmA and not ArmA2 config, so if someone could show to the differences and how to setup a dedicated server. I would apprieciete it.

ArmA2 dedicated server capabilities & documentation have not beed published yet.

There may be additional parameters or commands available for A2 DS but we simply do not know yet..

As Q and Xeno said, A1 Dedi-server methodology & files also work for A2.

Check out wiki from time to time for more information that is yet to be posted by the Devs.

ArmA2 dedicated server capabilities & documentation have not beed published yet.

There may be additional parameters or commands available for A2 DS but we simply do not know yet..

As Q and Xeno said, A1 Dedi-server methodology & files also work for A2.

Check out wiki from time to time for more information that is yet to be posted by the Devs.

For example. You've buyed a new TV with great new features. Now you want to test these new features but you don't know how to handle or use it because there ist no information about in the manual.

And now someone told you. "hey. take a look into the manual of the old version of the tv. Some of them are explained". You take a look into this manual but there are many questions left. What do you think about your new TV ?

Are you lucky with it ?

I have not played ARMA before! I've not seen any ARMA server before!

Do you have to buy two copies of ArmA 2 to host a dedicated server (I am aware you need two computers and two internet connections LoL) and play at the same time? I want to use the computer I have at work to host a server for friends.

Also, is there an easy way to host a dedicated server without editing config files etc. ?

NEVER MIND I REALISE THERE IS NO SERVER FILE UNTIL THE GAME IS RELEASED!

Thanks in advance,

Goopeh.:yay:

Edited by Goopeh
Have read the thread and realised that there are no dedicated server files yet

I use the files from ArmA but like I said, it's not LAN but turned into internet.

I could not connect, but others could. So I'm trying to figure out the problems or to check if anybody else have these problems.

I know that the documentation is not released.

I administrated OFP dedicated server for 3 years before I "converted" to ArmA dedicated server. So I know some of the problems you can have and I know where to look for help. I also accept that there is just a beta dedicated server.exe.

I only want to know if someone have any tips to make my dedicated server work.

There IS an Arma2 dedicated server exe. It is provided with the 1.01 German patch.

You do not need to have 2 copies of Arma to host dedi server.

There IS an Arma2 dedicated server exe. It is provided with the 1.01 German patch.

You do not need to have 2 copies of Arma to host dedi server.

hm Did I miss that one?

Because I had no server.exe after patching to 1.01. I had to download the beta server.exe.

And with that server.exe, I can't connect, but others can.

I can't seem to use -profiles and the server.cfg / basic.cfg.

Could somebody "direct" me in the right direction here pleace...

I use the files from ArmA but like I said, it's not LAN but turned into internet.

I could not connect, but others could. So I'm trying to figure out the problems or to check if anybody else have these problems.

I know that the documentation is not released.

I administrated OFP dedicated server for 3 years before I "converted" to ArmA dedicated server. So I know some of the problems you can have and I know where to look for help. I also accept that there is just a beta dedicated server.exe.

I only want to know if someone have any tips to make my dedicated server work.

It may be you are connecting via LAN to your Laptop, they are connecting via internet. If you see it the the server browser, that is a good start, when you connect, you connect to a 10. or 192. address, where the others are connecting via your public IP, I'd start there.

hm Did I miss that one?

Because I had no server.exe after patching to 1.01. I had to download the beta server.exe.

And with that server.exe, I can't connect, but others can.

I can't seem to use -profiles and the server.cfg / basic.cfg.

Could somebody "direct" me in the right direction here pleace...

Yes thats the one I was talking about.

Here is a small pack I prepared for Arma1.

http://cross.kellys-heroes.eu/MyServer.zip

-Download & Extract it into your ArmA2 Folder.

-Replace the profile file in it with your Arma2 Profile. ***Leave the name "MyServer" as it is.

-Make your changes to the Server.cfg and Arma.cfg files mainly Name & passwords etc..

-There is a shortcut in the folder. Either create a new one for Arma Server exe or change the parameters and the file locations in that one.

Hope it helps

;)

we where 3 people at the LAN and 4 at internet.

both 2 at LAN and the 4 at internet got in, except me...

I can try those files, but they sure looks like the ones I'm using, except arma2pc.master.gamespy.com, which I didn't have correct...

Thanks for reply.

You need to run another instance of regular arma and find the server in the MP list and connect.

You need to run another instance of regular arma and find the server in the MP list and connect.

I run it on another PC.

I don't mix both dedicated server and ArmA2 on the my gaming rig. Too much work...

Then your client do not have access to that other PC....

If your friends can join then your problem is technical and non-arma related.

Check your firewall, port and network settings.

seems strange to me that I find it in Internet MP and not in LAN MP?

The others found it in LAN MP.

Except of course those who where on the internet....

I checked XP firewall and I had allowed ArmA2, so.

But I will try those settings you uploaded and see if I have an error in my config. But that have to wait until sunday/monday.

Thanks for reply!!

If you find it in Internet MP, it means there is nothing wrong with Arma or Arma configs..

You have a problem with your client & server machine network settings. Maybe your client is not in the same domain with the server mechine...

Arma works fine...sort out your intranet/network settings.

If you find it in Internet MP, it means there is nothing wrong with Arma or Arma configs..

You have a problem with your client & server machine network settings. Maybe your client is not in the same domain with the server mechine...

Arma works fine...sort out your intranet/network settings.

Strange, you don't seem to read my posts...

I'm glad you are responding, but your not helping me when you don't read the reply.

I'm on a LAN. I have same GW and NM. No firewall.

Why do I then see it on "Internet" and the two others on the SAME LAN see it in "LAN". The others on the LAN can connect.

It's 192.168.0.103 for my computer

192.168.0.100 for the server

NM: 255.255.255.0

GW: 192.168.0.1

What is there to be sorted out then...

Strange, you don't seem to read my posts...

I'm glad you are responding, but your not helping me when you don't read the reply.

I'm on a LAN. I have same GW and NM. No firewall.

Why do I then see it on "Internet" and the two others on the SAME LAN see it in "LAN". The others on the LAN can connect.

What is there to be sorted out then...

Do you try to connect to it listing it as LAN or Internet server? It should be LAN at any case.

It was a test and I used the Beta Dedicated server.exe.

So I figure it might show off wrong or strange or what ever...

What I tested is I thought I would see it in LAN, but I didn't.

I found it in "Internet". But I still can't connect.

I turned off firewall at my computer and the "server". I allowed ArmA2 and ArmA2Server.exe in the firewall settings.

Others could play, but not me.

I'm just asking if BIS or anybody else has a problem connecting to there of copy of the game?

I tried with

kickduplicate = 0;

verifySignatures = 0;

battleye = 0;

without any help.

Could there be a bug in the dedicated sever.exe?

What's the netmask of the server set to? Since other people could see the server in the LAN, it would seem that it's either your PC's IP not belonging to the server's LAN (i.e. server's netmask being off) or your PC not letting the server's broadcast messages through.

I've got a test server setup in my LAN, and it's working OK, so it's probably not a bug in the dedicated server.

This is the setup, since it's on a LAN. They both have the same NM and GW.

But since it's on a LAN I don't need the GW.

But those who connect from internet needs the server to have a GW.

I will try Crawler75 files later tonight. Just need to upload all the files again to a different server. Might get another result this time. At least I can try.

I have now uploaded all needed files, so I can proably complete my test tonight.

I'm now testing Crawler75 files and those don't seem to work.

I set a connecting password, but you don't need it.

I display wrong name, "gameserver" instead og "nopryl".

So I can't seem to get this to work right. I still have to test if I can connect. I only got a friend to test for me.