Sign in to follow this  
Blechreiz

ArmA2 crash to desktop

win 7 64bit here and the game is now unplayable, it will CTD like we all have said randomly.

I dont remember it happening when the game came out so it has to be the patch.

Sucks cause I cant play it now short of uninstalling and reinstalling.

well, after I bought the game it was crashing so often that I don't know if I had the problem, but I think i saw it before the patch. Not 100% sure though.

I'm talking about the specific "out of memory" problem. Maybe I should make an account on dev-heaven and vote for that bug. Wonder if it helps

Okay, I saw that Nvidia has a new driver, so I decided to give it a try. I updated the driver and the situation improved considerably, at least for the out of memory. Now I still have quite a few crashes, but less than before. And it's almost never out of memory; now it's the ERROR_NOACCESS error, which is an old friend of mine.

Oh well, some things never change. I already lowered the settings a bit. I'll try to make them lower and see what happens.

I suggest making sure your motherboard drivers are up to date. A mixup between the the CPU/Hard drive/graphics card can give an error that seems like it's only related to the graphics card (out of memory being out of texture memory on your graphics card)

Of course it could also be something in the BIOS. There's many options in BIOS that are often changed for overclocking purposes that can cause instability in data transfer (basically the system keeps sending texture data to the video memory and due to sync issues through the BIOS, everytime the graphics card sends a message back to tell it to stop sending data the message is lost so more data is sent)

I tried 197.13, which came out 3 days ago. Since it didn't work I switched to 197.25 beta. I thought it went better, but it just improved maybe a bit, getting worse. I now have different problems (something like "too many virtual blocks requested" or "cannot commit 0 pages"), and I don't see out of memory very often, but it's still crashing quite a bit. Now I'm stuck in a situation where it consistently crashes when I try to save. I tried with maxmem, setting all the options to normal, but no success. The only thing i can say is that I'm playing Warfare BE, which is quite demanding. Maybe the addons do their part too.

The only things I haven't tried are reinstalling the game and the OS, and playing with the Nvidia control panel (wouldn't know how anyway). I could also try with all settings low. The biggest problem is that I have been playing a few hours, and to load the game every time I need 10 minutes (9:45 to be precise). If the game crashes after 20 minutes it gets very frustrating. I just don't want to keep trying if I don't have a reasonable chance that it will work, especially when I have been doing it many times in the past months.

As a side question: does anybody know why the game saves relatively fast, but it's so incredibly slow to load?

Considering the latest problems with the drivers, and the fact that most people with issues seem to run a 64 bit os with an Nvidia card, I wonder if maybe Nvidia should get at least part of the blame. Maybe I will try ATI next time.

For a last ditch effort before you try reinstalling anything, try going to your "my documents\Arma 2" folder and delete your "Arma2.cfg" file and the profile file there too.

After that, load Arma 2 and change the video memory to "high" and set everything else how you want and see how it go's.

and the timeout detection didn't work either, although I had the feeling it was going better.

Got out of memory again

Until BI release 1.06 patch (rumors are it fixes CTD problem) looks like I am going to have to buy BF-BC2.

At the moment ARMA2 is totally unplayable due to CTD. And I was so looking forward to MP after downloading ACE

Until BI release 1.06 patch (rumors are it fixes CTD problem) looks like I am going to have to buy BF-BC2.

At the moment ARMA2 is totally unplayable due to CTD. And I was so looking forward to MP after downloading ACE

Where did you get your rumors from?

I also have the feeling that there is not just one cause. Hopefully the will fix all of them

yea I heard it somewhere on this forum..probably in the 1.05xxxxx beta patch testing thread. Have you seen how many threads there are on CTD? must be thousands. Guess I'll also go back COD4 for "training".

Yesterday I started Warfare BE with the AI commander. After that I went into a building and left the computer playing against itself. It crashed after two hours.

I'm stopping too. Maybe I'll fool around to find out how things like fast rope work.

You keep referring to Warfare BE, does it crash playing stock, maybe, SuperPowers?

Didn't try. Maybe I can check it out, if it's just about leaving the computer on for a couple of hours. I guess superpowers is not as heavy for the computer, so maybe it can last longer. Not sure of how it can help though.

checked. Out of memory after 3 hours and 12 minutes

EDIT - just to be precise: one thing I missed was to start a plain vanilla arma. I had the addons loaded

Edited by dontknowhow

wow, this thread blows my mind off. CTD for me aswell, but to be honest its more specific. Ill play a campaign map with CAA1 and after 30 mins ill get CTD. RPT file says out of memory. Tried everything, maxmem and all kind of different settings and drivers, still CTD. its kinda weird after CTD i see the game still running in task manager, its kinda if it reaches the magical <1,2GB range CTD for me.

My specs: Win 7 64bit

6GB Samsung RAM

GTS 240

i7 860

Acer Aspire MB

Interessting thing is if i play standard Arma II (no addons) i can play for hrs. A friend of mine still have almost same hardware (gf 8800 instead GTS 240) and no CTD. I dont get this why cant arma Handle to flush the memory if it reaches 1,2GB (in task manager) Is this still bad programmed or just a problem with the Beta patch??

any help appreciated ...

regards,

MrR0ket0

wow, this thread blows my mind off. CTD for me aswell, but to be honest its more specific. Ill play a campaign map with CAA1 and after 30 mins ill get CTD. RPT file says out of memory. Tried everything, maxmem and all kind of different settings and drivers, still CTD. its kinda weird after CTD i see the game still running in task manager, its kinda if it reaches the magical <1,2GB range CTD for me.

My specs: Win 7 64bit

6GB Samsung RAM

GTS 240

i7 860

Acer Aspire MB

Interessting thing is if i play standard Arma II (no addons) i can play for hrs. A friend of mine still have almost same hardware (gf 8800 instead GTS 240) and no CTD. I dont get this why cant arma Handle to flush the memory if it reaches 1,2GB (in task manager) Is this still bad programmed or just a problem with the Beta patch??

any help appreciated ...

regards,

MrR0ket0

again win7 64, again nvidia. I'm curious to see what happens when I get my 5970.

I also had a crash with win xp 32 bit though

Sure someone write about this.

When you are playing in warfare (depends of your view distance) + view > -lesstime to crash (arma2.exe process stop and a black screen appear about 1 MB used +-200MB). A read a lot of post about to fix this problem but a i dont find nothing.

The problem is for all user (nvidia and ATI).

Comes indepently of your amoung of RAM memory.

The pc's specs dont mater in this BIG BUG.

The CTRL + "-" and write FLUSH dont solve this (The arma2.exe process still growing and the CTD comes in time)

Stop trying with *.cfg.

The real problem is ARMA2 itseft, need a solution.

Other games need more powerful specifications and do not realize hangs continuously.

It is a problem of programming of the game.

We have to realize pressure so that they solve it

Edited by tryky
Add a few things

I'm getting crashes quite frequently too, maybe once or twice a day. Session length doesn't seem to have anything to do with it, 30 minutes to 6 hours without crash.

I checked RPT file and it would seem my Radeon is causing the CTD's. Currently using 10.2 Catalyst version and HD4890 card. I have also 8 gigabytes of RAM (from which I've cut 6 GB for a RAM disk containing various often-accessed game files), and I'm using 64-bit Windows 7.

There was no mention in RPT file about low memory. I've had crashes on several maps, such as Podagorsk, Chernarus, Isla Duala. Usually the gamemode has been Warfare BE, but also coop missions. Might update CCC to 10.3 to see if it has any change. But still, looking forward to 1.06, hopefully it addresses some AI problems among other things. :)

I keep getting crashes frequently as well. Typically when flying in a heli, what will happen is I will be looking at the ground, and then suddenly the ground area will turn a light grey color (artifact?) and then the game will lock up and crash to desktop, with a "ArmA2.exe has caused an error", with the error being APPCRASH. I've never gotten any "out of memory" errors or anything like that, it's always just this one type. Sometimes it happens after 10 minutes, sometimes after an hour or so.

My settings in-game:

Everything Very High, except:

Video Memory - Default

Antialiasing - Low

View Distance - ~4000 (max before not allowing Very High terrain detail)

The game runs fine with playable framerates, but will just crash once in awhile. It happens basically every time I play the game, regardless of how long the game is.

Running Win7 x64.

I pulled this out of the ArmA2.RPT file:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0043F4DE

graphics: D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280, Driver:nvd3dum.dll 8.17.11.9675

resolution: 1920x1200x32

I don't know if that's what caused the crash, but that's what it looks like. Any ideas? My video cards are definitely not overheating.

Here's some more I found:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 00A216A6

Error during v-buffer creation: error 8876017cError during v-buffer creation: error 8876017cError during v-buffer creation: error 8876017c

Error during v-buffer creation: error 8876017c ((<------It says this over and over and over))

Error during v-buffer creation: error 8876017c

graphics: D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280, Driver:nvd3dum.dll 8.17.11.9675

resolution: 1920x1200x32

Also:

Prev. code bytes: 72 CC F3 A5 FF 24 95 54 17 A2 00 8D 49 00 23 D1

Fault code bytes: 8A 06 88 07 8A 46 01 C1 E9 02 88 47 01 83 C6 02

Registers:

EAX:00000002 EBX:00000072

ECX:000000E2 EDX:00000002

ESI:00000000 EDI:2811AF8E

CS:EIP:0023:00A216A6

SS:ESP:002B:2434E3D8 EBP:2434E3E0

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010202

=======================================================

note: Minidump has been generated into the file C:\Users\MavericK\AppData\Local\ArmA 2\arma2.mdmp

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by MavericK96

I have the exact same problem as the guy above me. Identical errors as well :(

Any word on a fix in the works?

I always hoped that the problem could be the graphic card. Well, today I tried my brand new 5970, and I got the same problem.

So far the only way I could finish a game was to use separate client and server, playing with less units and with very low details on the client (couldn't be otherwise, since it's an old laptop with a quadro 1500).

ArmA2 crashes on me after clicking multiplayer button, after the server browser loads. :/ Never had this before.

Edit: Wow, I fixed it by first removing and then reinstalling the NIC driver...

Edited by 7