Sign in to follow this  
koroush47

I had a question about the Multiplayer in ARMA 2?

I was looking at a game called operation flashpoint 2 and when i discovered that the multiplayer was AI and human i was instantly turned off.

I was looking at ARMA 2 in the main website and it looked amazing, but i had one question.. Does it have AI in the multiplayer like OPF 2?

Thanks in advance + i hope it doesn't.

If I understand your question correctly then the answer is: Yes and no, it completely depends on the mission maker.

If I understand your question correctly then the answer is: Yes and no, it completely depends on the mission maker.

What do you mean?

I'm confused :\

The person who makes the multiplayer mission has a choice whether he wants to make it a straight down PvP human only map, or a mission involving AI, for co op.

Ah i see.. so normally in ARMA 1: do the players prefer AI games or non AI games?

One more thing: How many players will be supported (human) in ARMA 2? and how many AI will be added to the human total?

Thanks for the help guys, i hope they release a demo for us to play soon... (game comes out in like a month)

Ah i see.. so normally in ARMA 1: do the players prefer AI games or non AI games?

Both. There are people who love doing CO-op missions, while others love to have huge PvP tournaments (although I never played Arma1 Multiplayer, from what I've gained its like that).

One more thing: How many players will be supported (human) in ARMA 2? and how many AI will be added to the human total?

...a lot. Depends on the servers. There's really no limit from what I've heard, it depends on how much the server can handle. People had 50 vs 50 matches I know for sure, maybe even more.

Both. There are people who love doing CO-op missions, while others love to have huge PvP tournaments (although I never played Arma1 Multiplayer, from what I've gained its like that).

...a lot. Depends on the servers. There's really no limit from what I've heard, it depends on how much the server can handle. People had 50 vs 50 matches I know for sure, maybe even more.

Defiantly sold.

ARMA 2 will be my savior of boring FPSes!

Wait are you sure that ARMA 2 will have 50 vs 50 player games?

In Arma 1, the player limit was really only limited to what the server can handle, so there is no real "Player cap" so to speak.

They might have changed that in Arma 2 however.

Are you playing on console or PC?

Personally Ive never heard of 50v50 MP from my time playing ArmA1 online. Not saying it has never been done, but if it has happened... its sure as hell not the norm. I believe the game is officialy able to handle about 50 players on a normal server, with most misstions being designed for 32 or so.

As for AI and players... its up to you. ArmA2 is not like COD4 where its a tiny map and you just go at it with the other players in the server in team death match. Some ArmA2 missions are the players working together to rid the island of hostile NPCs, which is a lot of fun. Others such as the official Warfare mission have the two teams of players fighting for control of the island, and the players can recruit NPCs to fight along side them. Then there are your more arena type missions such as capture the flag which are normally all players. Essentally missions can be anything.... so its not too hard to find something that suits you.

Wait are you sure that ARMA 2 will have 50 vs 50 player games?

I see no reason not to have it. As said above, there is no game limitation on how many players and/or AI you can stick in a mission. Your only limitation is the server connection, as well as specs.

I have played with 124 players on same server in ArmA (PvP, humans only). I am still playing with an average of 85 each week having no problems.

I say you walk around this forum, read some stuff. Maybe you'll want to buy it even more.

Thats a lot for a console. Dont you mean 32 vs 32?

I don't think OFP2 is restricted to having AI in multiplayer. It probably has different game modes that may or may not include AI.

Or you can go and play Warfare where you have humans with AI against humans with AI and they all have everything. From assault rifles to tanks and attack helicopters.

there is the 140 units or so per side limit when building a mission in ARMA. not sure if that will be increased in ARMA II...

Hi koroush47

The 140 unit limit [ORC] Mc Speedfreak is talking about is the group limit not the unit limit. You can have multiple soldiers in in each group. I have made missions with 3000 indiviual entities on map. Each group can have 30 or so soldiers in it but 8 or 12 is more usual.

There is no limit on number of players in MP in ArmA. The system is future proofed by being open ended. Maximum size so far has been 120 plus in a coop server. That is played regularly but bare in mind their server is a good one. Larger servers tend to be private, though they often run a public recruiting server. The better clans admin this public server and train people in their clans ethos then cherry pick the good recruits from it.

Teams are not limited to two sides in ArmA it is up to 4 and ArmA 2 raises it to 6 sides

There are more game forms in ArmA than any other game.

Main PvP forms

Death Match (DM)

Capture The Flag (CTF)

Capture and Hold (C&H) Berzerk is a common form for this. Reasonable servers run 64 Player.

The PvP forms tend to be short missions from fifteen minutes on up to an hour

Main Coop forms

Coop is a common form in ArmA because unlike other games the AI is good.

Human v AI (H v AI) Human poonzor squads against AI, standard Coop

Human and AI v AI (H&AI v AI) Humans controlling squads of AI. A common form of CooP in ArmA

Human and AI v Human and AI (H&AI v Human and AI) Also called PvP Coop

The missions can be anything from run checkpoint to presense patrols, convoys, special forces raid, All Arms batlegroups like Jinef's Breakthrough etc

The Coop forms tend to be longer 30 minutes to say 5 hours.

Role Playing Forms

Because you can MOD and script ArmA by default you can create any game form you can think of.

Escape and Evasion

Find the Criminal

Sahrani Life

etc.

CTI and Dynamic Forms

ArmA lends itself to advanced forms of game as it is so MODable.

Capture the Island (CTI)

Evolution

Warfare

Domination

RTS etc.

The CTI style run from 5 hours to many days. Players rotate in shifts or JIP in as they able.

The thing about ArmA is you are free to create any game form you want. Most of those game forms listed above are being edited and improved and changed all the time. The players on the servers I play on often have several new missions every week.

ArmA 2 will probably see the birth of more new game forms, people are already talking about wild life hunts where the one player plays say a boar and the others hunt them.

Who knows what ArmA 2 will lead to.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

Hi koroush47

The 140 unit limit [ORC] Mc Speedfreak is talking about is the group limit not the unit limit. You can have multiple soldiers in in each group. I have made missions with 3000 indiviual entities on map. Each group can have 30 or so soldiers in it but 8 or 12 is more usual.

There is no limit on number of players in MP in ArmA. The system is future proofed by being open ended. Maximum size so far has been 120 plus in a coop server. That is played regularly but bare in mind their server is a good one. Larger servers tend to be private, though they often run a public recruiting server. The better clans admin this public server and train people in their clans ethos then cherry pick the good recruits from it.

Teams are not limited to two sides in ArmA it is up to 4 and ArmA 2 raises it to 6 sides

There are more game forms in ArmA than any other game.

Main PvP forms

Death Match (DM)

Capture The Flag (CTF)

Capture and Hold (C&H) Berzerk is a common form for this. Reasonable servers run 64 Player.

The PvP forms tend to be short missions from fifteen minutes on up to an hour

Main Coop forms

Coop is a common form in ArmA because unlike other games the AI is good.

Human v AI (H v AI) Human poonzor squads against AI, standard Coop

Human and AI v AI (H&AI v AI) Humans controlling squads of AI. A common form of CooP in ArmA

Human and AI v Human and AI (H&AI v Human and AI) Also called PvP Coop

The missions can be anything from run checkpoint to presense patrols, convoys, special forces raid, All Arms batlegroups like Jinef's Breakthrough etc

The Coop forms tend to be longer 30 minutes to say 5 hours.

Role Playing Forms

Because you can MOD and script ArmA by default you can create any game form you can think of.

Escape and Evasion

Find the Criminal

Sahrani Life

etc.

CTI and Dynamic Forms

ArmA lends itself to advanced forms of game as it is so MODable.

Capture the Island (CTI)

Evolution

Warfare

Domination

RTS etc.

The CTI style run from 5 hours to many days. Players rotate in shifts or JIP in as they able.

The thing about ArmA is you are free to create any game form you want. Most of those game forms listed above are being edited and improved and changed all the time. The players on the servers I play on often have several new missions every week.

ArmA 2 will probably see the birth of more new game forms, people are already talking about wild life hunts where the one player plays say a boar and the others hunt them.

Who knows what ArmA 2 will lead to.

Kind regards walker

Great explanation, no limit for multiplayer.

That blows my mind, never heard of it before.

I'm sure that in ARMA 2 it will be kept the same.

100% looking forward to this game.

Wow, multiple day long missions? Man I wonder how that works out.

People grind the mission for some hours -> go to eat/sleep -> server is left empty -> people come to the server again.

Thats a lot for a console. Dont you mean 32 vs 32?

Yeah, that's what I meant, my bad. Because in the video, the developer was saying that both versions will be identical with an exception of fairly dumbed down editor, and less datail such as anti-leasing, dynomic collors etc. So, it should be at least 32 vs 32, which if Arma 2 will be successful at delivering it to consoles, would be really good break through for a game of such quality.

Litos

With varying success, both in terms of game play and achievement of the goals.

The best solution is for teams around the world to work in shifts.

But some are completely Ad Hoc. People join fight for a few hours then stop and others take over.

Long missions are very tiring. A 5 hour Breakthrough type mission leaves you hollow eyed and shell-shocked especially if you are in command. Most people who command it want to leave command alone for a week or two afterwards. It is not that is not fun it is just they are shatered.

The command that allows the really long term missions on servers is persistent. There are other commands and considerations too.

Kind regards walker

I am accustomed to playing, back in the day, Novalogic Delta Force(deathmatch and Capture the Flag),then BF1942(conquest and CTF) and currently Battlefield 2(just conquest, they robbed me of CTF).

The information I am reading on this game is very interesting...I personally have found World War 2 online to be a flop....but I haven't played Operation Flashpoint or ArmA 1, so I'm curious....for human only(or hell, even human plus AI) maps what's the max size?

And.....will there be such a thing as limited respawns? I'd love nothing more than to have a huge(10 square miles or bigger)map, where people can only respawn a few times before they are out for good, leading there to actually be a need for rescue missions, walking back to base to avoid wasting a ticket, etc....

Litos

With varying success, both in terms of game play and achievement of the goals.

The best solution is for teams around the world to work in shifts.

But some are completely Ad Hoc. People join fight for a few hours then stop and others take over.

Long missions are very tiring. A 5 hour Breakthrough type mission leaves you hollow eyed and shell-shocked especially if you are in command. Most people who command it want to leave command alone for a week or two afterwards. It is not that is not fun it is just they are shatered.

The command that allows the really long term missions on servers is persistent. There are other commands and considerations too.

Kind regards walker

Ah I see. Yeah, I could understand how tiring it is. I had a couple of PR matches like that, not as long of course but... poor commanders lol.

If server is left empty, when people join again, doesn't the mission restart or something? Or is it left the same way, so then people can continue taking over the island? Are there like organized wars, for which servers are setup with a single mission, until it ends?