Sign in to follow this  
Litos

Just one squad?

The thing I don't like about ArmA 2 is that the campaign revolves around just one squad. I suppose you can switch between the members of this squad depending on the class, but still. It seems as if this squad is one against all (no more large battles with a lot of units here and there?), you don't get to change roles outside of the squad (no more side missions where you're in a different place with different people?) and that also means that technically there is no reason to get in a helicopter, or a plane, or do something fun like that because you're supposed to be around your squad. I don't know if any of you thought of this, but from what we've seen so far it seems as if you barely ever part from your squad, which is supposed to take away the ability - or more like the excuse to do many other things that the squad isn't actually supposed to do. In ArmA you always change around between people and places, you always do all kinds of different missions... Yes, in Arma 2 you will be able to recognize your new computer friends by face etc, but still. Arma was like the only game that did what it did, but will Arma 2 do that as well?

It is pretty clear that in the campaign you will start out small, probably just you and the rest of the Razor Team. As the campaign progresses you will end up controlling more troops, until eventually you will be playing Warfare style. That in itself is a huge change, and not seen anywhere else in previous Arma/OFP campaigns. It is completely new. If you don't know what Warfare is, I'd suggest you read up on it.

But you are right, I doubt you will see any other crazy pilot of tanker character in the campaign like in OFP. We will see if during the Warfare mode, or at any other point in the game, if you and your team will be able to man vehicles bigger than a HMMWV.

Red_Barron, I tried to search but I can't find the info you provided. Can you name a source that mentions commanding troops and warfare-style in the campaign?

Because I think the campaign really just evolves around this squad, you can just get support from other factions/squads during the whole campaign. All other stuff is in hand of hard-working mission makers :D

Have you checked out any of Deadfast's translations on youtube? I'm sure it's in there somewhere. I'm not going to re-watch all of them for you right now, but they give you some great first hand developer comments.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DeadfastCZ

The high command feature I think will also be a part of the campaign. Mention of that will probably be in there too.

Make sure you enable the captions to get English subtitles.

I can confirm that the later part of the campaign has been said to be close to Warfare, however, I would have warned against spoilers first.

Though I guess coming into a topic like this, you shouldn't be surprised when reading the provided info. In other words, if you don't want to accidentally read minor spoilers then stay out of the Arma II forums.

Anyways... Continue on.

It takes a lot of coding work and many improvements over ArmA1 to make a large scale free-form combat work like it should with a high quality feel. BIS decided that instead of making a revolutionary tiered command system, group interaction logic, highly diverse units, etc was simply to shrink the scale of combat down to a very small size like a teenager's action movie.

Well, in that video from Tiscali they talked about high-command but in no reference to the campaign. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it's really as you say :)

I'm guessing you don't like the game Frederf?

I don't know, but I'll miss ArmA's variety of battles, scenerys and missions, as well as amount of units fighting by you, etc...although Frederf is right on one part, that'll make it like a teenager's action movie. =\

Doesnt sound like you dig ArmA that much either Litos with all complaints around the forum... Im not sure, but have you actually tested the campaign yet to be able to post a comment that its not good as it is?

What is bad about being from start a small squad sent in to investigate/fight and make contacts? I like the intimate feeling it seems (SEEMS) to start out as. Like its really you and your mates instead of a generic horde of soldiers you command. However we have heard already (more than once) that there will be missions where you do Hi-Commanding and command bigger fights as well. To me it seems like the perfect campaign with everything from small SF ops to larger fights not to mention the interaction with characters where you will be able to decide what you want to do. Help or not. Kill or not. Join or not etc etc. To me it sounds bloody good so far.

Regards

Alex

72;1283900']Doesnt sound like you dig ArmA that much either Litos with all complaints around the forum... Im not sure' date=' but have you actually tested the campaign yet to be able to post a comment that its not good as it is?

[/quote']

I have never said it's bad. I said the one thing I don't like about arma 2 is this. And I was ASKING about it, not stating that it exists. And I hadn't had much more complains around the forum, once again, questions, and suggestions, but no complains.

Also, thanks deadfast. So there will be other Marines besides just the Razor team?

I wish I didn't have to kill Russians though. Is the razor team against all the other factions in the game or they have allies?

Hi all

So the answer to the Question Litos posted originaly "Just one squad?" is:

You begin as a Grunt then as you progress you rise in rank untill you become leader of a whole battle group.

So now he has his whole battle group Litos is another happy little ArmA II bunny. :bounce3:

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

No, I'm the white rabbit!

So is a nicely-functioning whole battle group something the game always does or is it just the single player campaign? It sounds like you're quoting the scripted structure of the BIS-made single player campaign which is fine for that one-time experience but that doesn't help the common mission maker any, does it?

Unless I'm completely mistaken, revival of teammates and the ability to command groups of squads are all features that can be enabled in the editor through use of simple modules.

Hi Frederf

I believe St!gar is correct.

I am guessing it the simple insertion of logic units via the editor. We used the same process for CEX.

You simply add the logic function to the map same as any other unit. It acts as a switch and that activates the function.

Kind Regards walker

I am guessing it the simple insertion of logic units via the editor.

No need to guess. It was already confirmed somewhere.

So the ability to command a large force (or for a large force to command itself) is easily used on a day-to-day basis throughout ArmA2?

I don't think the AI can use High Command. It has to be scripted the normal way. At least that's what I think. I haven't read about the AI being able to do it, and quite frankly, seriously doubt that they'd have the capacity to simulate strategic thinking. I'd rather have the AI guys at BI focus on stuff like pathfinding and use of cover.

So, if I understood it well: there will be no main character, like Viktor Troska, but another group of 'unnamed' marines? What if one of them will die? :(

I have watched some videos and saw all the stuff on Arma2 website, and I'm not really sure about it...

Sykes is great btw.

Team razor are the main characters, all of them with their own name and look, at least that is the impression I’m getting.

I like the fact that the campaign is encouraging the looking after of your fellow squad mates, as I have to admit that in ofp and arma 1 I kind of looked at a death of a squad mate a collateral damage, except for the royal flush campaign with the mercenaries I made sure I kept them alive as it noticed when one was killed.

Team razor are the main characters, all of them with their own name and look, at least that is the impression I’m getting.

I like the fact that the campaign is encouraging the looking after of your fellow squad mates, as I have to admit that in ofp and arma 1 I kind of looked at a death of a squad mate a collateral damage, except for the royal flush campaign with the mercenaries I made sure I kept them alive as it noticed when one was killed.

Agreed, I really like how each character has his own style and background story, and that you're expected to look after them. I think I'll prefer this campaign about a thousand times to ArmA1, didn't enjoy that a lot at all, I never really got a sense of context or story there.