Sign in to follow this  
sesdelta38

Downloading patches in ArmA 2

I started this because of one question. Will you need to download patches in order to play multiplayer? I ask this because this other game I have demands the latest patches in order to play online multiplayer, but my computer got an error when installing the patches after they were downloading, thus meaning I can't online multiplayer for that game and I'm this problem will happen with ArmA 2 patches. All helpful answers will be appreciated!

Regardless of the game, be it ArmA 2 or any other game you play online, it's important that all players (and server of course) uses the same versions.

Patches often contain not only bugfixes but also re-balanced content. Let's say on version 1.00 a guided missile can lock on air and ground target but in patch 2.00 this has changed for balancing and now only air targets can be locked, this would give some players unfair advantages to the other (patched) players.

So i guess it's a sure thing that all players have to match servers game version.

I am pretty sure that some patches will be released (This is generally considered nice, some support after buying the game..), and i am also pretty sure that you will need to have the latest version to play online properly. (Basically you need to have the same version as the server, which is usually the latest version)

You should just fix your other game (Reinstall, ask for tech support on forums, whatever) instead of being afraid of patches. Or buy a console.

(And before people start yelling at me, i have a 360 and yes i like how convenient it is)

Regardless of the game, be it ArmA 2 or any other game you play online, it's important that all players (and server of course) uses the same versions.

Patches often contain not only bugfixes but also re-balanced content. Let's say on version 1.00 a guided missile can lock on air and ground target but in patch 2.00 this has changed for balancing and now only air targets can be locked, this would give some players unfair advantages to the other (patched) players.

So i guess it's a sure thing that all players have to match servers game version.

I never to dowload the same version of Star Wars: Republic Commando in order player online multiplayer with other players, but then again it probably works differently than other games. I hope I can upgrade my PC with the neccessary requirements for this game. But one thing, what do you need in order to successfully. I had all of the sytem requirements the one game I mentioned, but my sister that it's not that we had the wrong requirements, but that are computer is not good enough for the game.

I will probably need a new computer or I will wait for the Xbox 360 version. Buying this on the Xbox 360 will be much better, than buying $1,000 computer. Besides, xbox 360's download patches without have to install them. Anyways, I think the mods can lock this.

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Merged

sesdelta38, please edit your posts instead of doubleposting in the future. :)

I never to dowload the same version of Star Wars: Republic Commando (...) what do you need in order to successfully. (...) but my sister that it's not that we had the wrong requirements, but that are computer is not good enough for the game.

I accidentally the whole post.

(Your sentences are missing some important words. Hard to understand. ;) )

In any case, I think I get the gist of what you're asking. The answer is: yes, you will always need to patch your game to play online, unless you find servers that are still using the same version as you. Your system requirements have nothing to do with it - patching should always work, unless there's either a bug in the patcher or the patch file is corrupt.

I never to dowload the same version of Star Wars: Republic Commando in order player online multiplayer with other players, but then again it probably works differently than other games.

It probably doesn't need patches as it's an old game and the version you bought is allready updated. The developers of that game likely stopped patching after 1-2 patches and then went on to another game.

This is where BIS is a bit different from a lot of other developers and it's considered more of a strong point then a weak point.

I hope this is a joke thread. If game has no patches, the game is flawless...I hope you see the logic here.

Patch is not just some random install feature.

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is when the game comes out, if you have problems patching come to the troubleshooting forum and we'll help you sort it out (assuming your hardware is up to the task which is why there will be minimum requirements on the box).

The negative answer is that this is a superfluous discussion for now :)