Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Noob here trying to buy an Arma II Machine. I have been watching "6th Sense" videos on YouTube for weeks now, and I'm sold on this game.

I've seen the recommended and required specs, But they don't match what I've been looking at purchasing, and the discussions and searching threads are making it even more confusing for me.

I have a budget of a $1k. To make things more interesting, I am in Beijing. I managed to order a Dell from their Chinese website and we got an XPS 8300-which is touted as being a great gaming machine.

i5 2300 processor (2.8GHz / 6 MB cache)

Windows Home Premium 64-bit 7

4GB (2X2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory (I can get more ram)

1GB NVIDIA ® GeForce ® GT420

The same machine in the US comes with a 1024MB ATI RadeonTM HD5450 as the video card. Though here it comes with a 1GB NVIDIA ® GeForce ® GT420. After looking at Tom's Hardware linked in another thread, I didn't see my card on there. But I did see the HD5450 on the list, which apparently gets the green light for Arma II.

The machine order was confirmed today. Plans to ship in a week. I am buying this machine for one reason only –to play Arma II on it. I am hoping to call Dell in the morning and adjust/cancel the order only if the card won't give me the performance I need to play the game. OR I can upgrade to the 1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD5770, which is recommended, so does it really matter that much between the NVIDIA ® GeForce ® GT420 and the ATI® Radeon™ HD5770? They are both 1 gig cards.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

A 5770 is much (3 or 4 times) faster than the 420 or 5450, and for arma a 5770 is an okay card as long as you dont run on high res/use much aa/etc. The cpu/mem is ok I guess, you dont need more than 4 to run arma or any other games.

the 420 or 5450 are much too slow for decent performance in arma.

of course building your own system will get you more value for money.

Edited by Leon86

@ Flattermann

Unfortunately, I don't have that much experience with PC hardware. Been a Mac user for 20+ years, and a console gamer since Atari, Nintendo, 3D0 (yes), PS1-3, XBOX1-2. This is my first venture into a real PC Gaming system. And buying a MacPro and running bootcamp right now, isn't in the budget. I just bought a new XBOX Slim.

Also, being here in China, components can be more expensive. The same PC or Mac in the US is almost 30% less than it is here. Amazing since most of the components are assembled here. I just want to hit the ground running here. At least this way, I can get Dell to back the hardware for a year, or more if I decide to extend the warranty.

@Leon86

Thanks! I've found my answer, and I'm going to upgrade to the HD5770 in the morning. It's only $65 more. Just hope they let me change the order. Apparently Dell policies aren't international.

I look forward to seeing you on the battlefield soon.

Edited by neven

What SSD would be best for ArmaII?

Intel X-25M 120GB

GSkill Pheonix Pro 120GB

Would this also fix stuttering from texture streaming in busy areas (with lots of trees, some BAF scenarios)?

If your a normal pc user not interested in top the range stuff and as long as it has the sand force chip then there is a much wider market you should be looking at.

but if its down to the two you have listed then Intel imo

Edited by msimon

A gtx460 is powerfull enough on appropriate settings. You'll probably notice an increase in performance over your current 9800gtx+, but not a huge one. A gtx560 might be a better choice, although it is more expensive.

Hello Lads

Right im looking to upgrade my PC and knowing that some of you guys are PC geniuses, i thought i would get your approval before buying. (keeping in mind its my first build)

So my budget is 600 - 700 Pounds

Main purpouse : Arma 2

Windows 7 64bit

Please note Links are just for Specs and prices for estimates. (Im not limiting myself to Novatech)

So to get things sorted il start with the Heart of the machine.

Intel Core i5 2400 - 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz - Intel H67 Motherboard £269.99

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/motherboardbundles/Novatech/MBB-I52400.html

The reason i have gone with the I5 is after doing some reading on the net it seems that for gaming the I5 is not too far off some of the I7s (which you pay more for the HT which i belive Arma doesn't use?)

Secondly im running a I5 750 and it works well, so i expect a increase of performance from the second generation of I5. And i know its bundle, ive been advised to get a bundle instead of all the parts on thier own because its my first build. Is this right?

4GB RAM - Dont need any more for Arma (so im told)

Secondly the graphics!

Sapphire ATI Radeon 6950 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express £216.98

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/atiradeongraphicscards/atihd6900series/sapphire/21188-00-40r.html

Newest Gen of ATI cards, after reading reviews it seems to be a decent card (compaired to similar priced cards http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html) and will have the advantage of being improved over the next year or so with drivers (unlike the 5870 etc)

Power Supply

Coolermaster GX 750W Power Suppply £67.00

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/powersupplies/coolermaster/rs750-acaae3-uk.html

I know very little about these but ive been told to get this.

HDD

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive SATA 6 Gb/s £51.05

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/harddrives-internal/sata500gbto1tb/westerndigital/wd6402aaex.html

Again like the PS i know very little about HDDs however ive been told this is a good one :)

Then all i need is the Optical drives and a case :)

This is very open to change and i will be checking more reviews etc but i thought id get some advice as well.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by SteveJA360

I suggest getting a P67 motherboard instead of a H67, doesn't cost much more and it gets you 400 mhz of overclocking potential on non-k processors, as well as "unlimited" overclocking on k-versions.

The 2400 is only about 20% faster than your current i5-750, so unless you overclock maybe you're better off just upgrading the gpu and maybe get a new psu if the current one isn't powerfull enough.

Thank you for the reply Leon.

I see your point about the I5 but the reason im upgrading is because my brother is buying my old one.

Unfortunaly im not a massive expert with PCs and as such ive always avoided OCing. The amount of problems ive suffered with PCs im petrified of OCing it then losing the warrenty etc.

Well you dont have to ofc. Another good reason to go P67 is the possibility of running crossfire/sli (although crossfire is problematic with arma).

There are affordable boards with good sli capability like the Asus P8P67-M PRO. Although it will be full with 2 dualslot gpu's due to being micro-atx.

I wouldn't look for actual bundles since mounting the cpu is very easy, just do what the manual says and be sure you're not electrically charged by touching something made of metal before mounting it. If you get a bundle it's probably with an el-cheapo board.

Thanks for reply!

After doing a bit more research ive decided to ditch the Motherboard bundle and buy bit by bit

I5 2500K

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-PH67-UD3-B3 Intel H67

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/motherboards/intel1155h61,h67chipsetmotherboards/gigabyte/ga-ph67-ud3-b3.html

Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws-X 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/memory-pc/ddr3-pc3-12800/1600mhz/g.skill/f3-12800cl9d-4gbxl.html

Which is "G.SKILL Dual Channel - G.skill has announced the release of its brand new ripjawsx series memory modules, designed specifically for intel sandy bridge lga1155 processors, and h67 and p67 motherboard platforms"

Which adds up to ~£300 :)

If you buy the 2500K, get a P67 board. You then may overclock, but don't have to of course. Otherwise, get a 2500 (non-K)

P67=2500K

H67=2500

I recommend a Samsung F3 1TB drive.

Also all above is good advice.

I just been checking and i think il have to get a P67 just so it is compatible with 1600mhz RAM haha.

I would like to understand OCing, and is something i may consider down the line, but not just yet :)

I just been checking and i think il have to get a P67 just so it is compatible with 1600mhz RAM haha.

I would like to understand OCing, and is something i may consider down the line, but not just yet :)

Overclocking sandy bridge is extremely easy.

It is, but can only be done on the P67 chipset, so make sure it's a P67.

Im not saying it is hard, but i like to have the knowledge that if there are any problems i can safely throw it back at the seller with no hassle. Unfortunatly problems i've had before had has made me very cautious when dealing with computers.

Is there a real difference between 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz RAM in Arma? (from some reviews, be it old, there is little difference)

Edited by SteveJA360

Well the only reason not to go P67 would be cost.

If you are absolutely sure you never ever want to overclock and want a budgetmachine the H61 chipset with i5-2400 might be the best choice price/performance wise.

No dont get me wrong, the last thing i want to do is cut out the chance to OC its just something i wont be doing immediately :)

Ahh i see now, sorry missed a bit of info on the K series haha. So thier practically built to be over clocked! Could i do this with standard kit?

Edited by SteveJA360

the price for P67+K is not that much higher than for H67+NonK, the OC potential is greater than the price difference. There's no real difference between 1333 and 1600 in ArmA, idk about other games though. You could buy 16 GB 1333 and create a Ramdisc for ArmA instead, or just go with 4, should be fine. A good harddisk is far more important than RAM.

Ahh i see now, sorry missed a bit of info on the K series haha. So thier practically built to be over clocked! Could i do this with standard kit?

An aftermarket aircooler is highly recommended for overclocks, the standard intel one is tiny.

Good coolers are the:

scythe mugen 2 rev. B (top performance, medium price)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (decent performance, low price)

You know what, fuck it! its time to OC!

I5 2500k here i come!!!

Actualy i say that but i dont need to OC. My game runs fine atm.

Hmm i think i might buy the I5 2500 because it turbos up to 3.7Ghz anyways and then save myself ~£40 on the motherboard

Edited by SteveJA360

in that case go ultimate budget and get H61 + i5-2400. Use the money saved on a decent ssd.

Well the I5 2400 turbos up to 3.4Ghz and the I5 2500 Turbos up to 3.7Ghz, well worth the extra twenty quid in my eyes.

From what i can work out the lower the timings the better the RAM amiright??!

1333MHz RAM Speed, CAS 7-7-7-20 Timings, 1.65v DIMM

Better than

1333MHz RAM Speed, CAS 9-9-9-27 Timings, 1.5v ?

Edited by SteveJA360