Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

PendragonUK, ive allready ordered one. Its not a super one, but will get me through, even the standard one i use now seems to be good. Max heat is 55C

Of course my pc is in the second floor, not so much airflow. If i place it downstairs it will get cooler.

Read my post about CPU temps. 55° C is fine. Glad you could overclock so easily. So what was your finally CPU speed? What impact did it have 31 to 41?

Im looking at upgrading in the next week or 2 and im at odds as what to do. Was just going to go get either a AM3 955 or 1090T, and a 120GB Vertex 3 SSD. But now im getting it in my head that maybe i should instead get and AM3 955 and GA-990FXA-UD3 and 16Gb of Ram(just because, might choose less and faster), and waiting until end of year/next year to add SSD's and new CPU.

My current system is a AM2+ 9750 2.4Ghz (OC @2.73 stable) 8Gb XMS2 DDR2 a 1TB K7.1000C and a 550Ti(just bought a new one so not going to upgrade this till next year) and asrock K10N78FullHD-hSLI.

Obviously my cpu is a weak link but would the SSD be worth getting now or later? I dont really mind either way i just want my shit to run faster now

cheers for any advice

@Domokun, i overclocked from 3.2Ghz to 3.6ghz, and it has a great impact on performance. Like i said it gets a max of 55C heat, this was while i did the stresstest with OCCT. When i play ArmaII OA it gets around 50, on some missions to 55C.

In my older post i wrote that the benchmark 1 and benchmark OA i got a FPS gain of at least 10. 41FPS average on benchmark 1 and OA benchmark it got average of 47. I can adjust the settings to high, but fps drops to 20 on some parts of the map.

Im looking at upgrading in the next week or 2 and im at odds as what to do. Was just going to go get either a AM3 955 or 1090T, and a 120GB Vertex 3 SSD. But now im getting it in my head that maybe i should instead get and AM3 955 and GA-990FXA-UD3 and 16Gb of Ram(just because, might choose less and faster), and waiting until end of year/next year to add SSD's and new CPU.

My current system is a AM2+ 9750 2.4Ghz (OC @2.73 stable) 8Gb XMS2 DDR2 a 1TB K7.1000C and a 550Ti(just bought a new one so not going to upgrade this till next year) and asrock K10N78FullHD-hSLI.

Obviously my cpu is a weak link but would the SSD be worth getting now or later? I dont really mind either way i just want my shit to run faster now

cheers for any advice

If you have a decent budget I'd go for an i5-2500K setup with a Z68 motherboard (has a nice ssd hd cache feature) and 8GB ram.

Can my laptop run OA? I can currently run arma 2 on very low but I was wondering if it could handle the upgrade.

Windows 7

AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Zm-85 2.30 GHz

4GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 3200

I'm mainly worried about the cpu speed.

snoops_213:

Get the 955 and a vertex 2.

You will not notice the difference between a vertex 2 and a 3 with your system. IMO 60gb is not worth buying; get a 120gb vertex 2.

The 1090T will be slower than the 955 for arma2.

The new mobo will not help at all; neither the new RAM. The above upgrade will give you a massive boost in performance. You probably won't even feel like upgrading until ARMA 3. And in my opinion buying hardware for Arma 3 would be silly at this time anyway.

Edited by lozz08

Can my laptop run OA? I can currently run arma 2 on very low but I was wondering if it could handle the upgrade.

Windows 7

4GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 3200

OA is a bit heavier on the gpu, your gpu is very weak, I'm quite surprised it runs arma 2. But if you want to know you can try the demo of course

Windows 7

4GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 3200

If anything Operation Arrowhead runs more smoothly than ArmA:2. in part because I think the map is easer to handle. Mind you when you get in to the citys it can chug some... But essentially the games are the same, you can run one you'll run the other.

Can my laptop run OA? I can currently run arma 2 on very low but I was wondering if it could handle the upgrade...

I wouldn't hold out much hope :(

I find that OA is more intensive than A2, due to the added and improved features.

Really? I always get more FPS playing in Takistan. Chernarus is giving me an 25-30 average.

OA adds SSAO if you have postprocess settings on (i think) medium and higher which can be pretty heavy on the GPU. So on those settings Chernarus in OA (CO) is heavier than in A2. However, Takistan itself is much easier to run than Chernarus due to lack of objects.

Also, i think that the ArmA2 campaign is much heavier on the CPU than the OA campaign, though i cant remember finishing the last one so maybe i missed something.

Edited by NeMeSiS

snoops_213:

Get the 955 and a vertex 2.

You will not notice the difference between a vertex 2 and a 3 with your system. IMO 60gb is not worth buying; get a 120gb vertex 2.

The 1090T will be slower than the 955 for arma2.

The new mobo will not help at all; neither the new RAM. The above upgrade will give you a massive boost in performance. You probably won't even feel like upgrading until ARMA 3. And in my opinion buying hardware for Arma 3 would be silly at this time anyway.

Thank you! What i was wanting to hear really, besides that works out nicely for the budget :)

Why would the 1090T be slower?

Edited by snoops_213

The 1090T will not be slower, it'll just not be faster than the much cheaper 955 either. Arma scales well to 3 cores, good to 4 cores but theres no gain adding anymore.

That's why the 2500K is the "ultimate cpu" for arma, the hyperthreading of the 2600K has no use so they're basically on par.

There are some advantages for the rest of the time your using your computer. Also I'm not sure the 955 overclocks as well. Anyhow all of the PhenomII chips are coming down in price in preparation for Bulldozer. The 1090t has dropped £70 ($100) in the last few months.

If you intend to stick with AMD the better place to spend your cash might be an AM3+ motherboard in readiness for the Bulldozers to come... Luckily my Motherboard will take a Bulldozer with a BIOS update.

note: I am an AMD fanboy and I do have 1090t :yay:

Hello,i am new here so i was gonna Buy GTX 560 Ti (i can Buy Overclocked but yet i don't know it's price :l) so...do you belive should i get it?

PC Speci(current):

---------------------

CPU:AMD Phenom 8xxx x3 ( i know it sucks but next year i am gonna get Quad Cores)

GPU:Ati Radeon HD 3200 (Gonna Be Replaced with GTX 560 Ti)

Ram:4GB DDR2

---------------------------------

and also to note that i am not very hardcore gamer..means i don't care about anitliasing i can set it on normal or Disabled and i will play on 1360x768 only resolution

and sorry if this thread was unorganized,i am just new here :P

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

and Also the 3D Resolution thing annoys me...it's not like any other game :l..means i just want to play on 1360x768 and i can't find but 1366x620 or something with percentage..i mean seriously -_- why do i have to put 3D reso on 1600xSomethin to get full 150% Graphics that is insane :3

If you leave 3D res on 100% it'll work as every other game.

Anyways, the 560ti's are fast cards and have good price/performance. Since you're planning to upgrade the cpu as well there's no reason not to get a fast gpu. Just make sure your PSU can handle it. You'll want a psu that can deliver at least 30A on 12V.

so No Proccesor?...well when should i get good processor?

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

At End Of 2012?

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

and also i wanna get Fast GPU GTX 560 Ti Cause i wanna make sure ARMA 3 runs good on it too..yes i am looking at ARMA 3 Performence with gtx 560 Ti i know it's not yet released but well..i think it will also run ARMA 3 on max without AA surely :(

Maher90- the GTX 560ti offers great value for money and decent performance, so I'd encourage you to go for it, although don't expect too big a jump atm as your CPU will limit frame rates.

The processor- you may be interested in waiting until AMDs new Bulldozer performance quad cores come out in a few months or beyond that Intel's Ivy Bridge (the end of this year I think). That said the i5 2500k is available at a great price now and it offers fantastic performance.

If you want to stick to your current mobo, get one of the better Phenom II X4s, such as the 965- you can find them for pretty good prices.

Edited by SW1

but the problem is..i would require to change WHOLE motherboard to get new AMD bulldozer x6 or x4 and also when they are released..they would be so Expensive as a real bulldozer lol!

Changing the mobo is simpler and easier than you may think... And from what I've seen good AM3+ motherboards are running at similar prices to intel's z68 boards.

From what I've seen, the bulldozer 8-core only just nudges out the 2600k. (possibly the leaked benchmarks are bogus, but there have been a few released) Seeing as Arma 2 can only use 4 cores, it would seem that Sandy bridge will still be the best performing platform for this game.

I hope Arma 3 can make use of 8+ cores. I am waiting till post release to upgrade. Hopefully reasonably priced Intel 8 core processors will be out by then.

If your board supports a phenom II quad it will be worth upgrading that as well. 955BE's can be had for under 90eu.

I have AMD Phenom II x2 3.1Ghz,MSI 770-G45,Nvidia Geforce GTS250,4GB Kingston DDR3.What the "weakest part"?

I have AMD Phenom II x2 3.1Ghz,MSI 770-G45,Nvidia Geforce GTS250,4GB Kingston DDR3.What the "weakest part"?

CPU. 4x CPU is handy in A2. impact of moving to 6x CPU not so impressive. also GPU is slighty less than optimal, IMO. try get 2Gb 460/560Ti or 6950 2Gb.

guys i got 4 plans

1-Buy GTX 560 Ti or (ATI 6950) and Wait for AMD BullDozer then buy new Mobo and with AMD Bulldozer :)

2-My Dad's get My Whole MOBO with my x3 Cpu and i get New Mobo With AMD BUlldozer and GTX 560 Ti or Wait for 7xxx but they would be so expernsive when they are released on new year's :(

3-Wait Till End of 2012 and then i See what are best things (but i would die of long waiting x( )

4-Wait Till BF3 and Arma 3 and other new games released then i get Graphic Card then New Mobo and Cpu in 2012

guys i got 4 plans

1-Buy GTX 560 Ti or (ATI 6950) and Wait for AMD BullDozer then buy new Mobo and with AMD Bulldozer :)

2-My Dad's get My Whole MOBO with my x3 Cpu and i get New Mobo With AMD BUlldozer and GTX 560 Ti or Wait for 7xxx but they would be so expernsive when they are released on new year's :(

3-Wait Till End of 2012 and then i See what are best things (but i would die of long waiting x( )

4-Wait Till BF3 and Arma 3 and other new games released then i get Graphic Card then New Mobo and Cpu in 2012

How about option 5!!! :)

Firstly have you tried to unlock the fourth core on your triple???? There are four cores just one is turned off. some Motherboards can unlock the fourth core and you get a free upgrade :)

As for the graphics cards, both are nice cards. The ATI 6950 is gaining a reputaion as a smart buy. Because it can often be altered to a full 6970! Free upgrade time :yay:

They have a down side too! That is the heat sink and fan sound like a leaf blower! Hope you game with headphones! I have to, I have a pair of 6870's !!

The nVidia is nice... The big advantage with nVidia is PhysX. ArmA:3 will be using it, several games use it and it makes a massive difference if the game you are playing has it. ArmA:2 dose not have PhysX so... make your own mind up on that one.

Nvida can be a little power hungry but that said at this level so can the ATI. Have you checked out your PSU??? The nVidia and the ATI will both need two dedicated power lines. That's not one line with a splitter or a spur off a hard drive power line. Two dedicated 6 pin power lines!

powerrequirements.jpg

If the power requirements are a little scary and you need an alternative. May I suggest the ATI 5770 1Gb card. Now this is less powerful than the other two but it is also cheaper. On the plus side it only requires one power line. It's power draw is amazingly low and as a bonus it dose not sound like a leaf blower!

gotKIMV-u7g

I made this video when I had a 5770, and you know what it's OK. It's not going to set the world on fire. It is however just about the cheapest card on the market that can play most any game on max setting (CoD BF:BC2 that type of game) ArmA2 will run good enough to run "normal to High" 3D 100% it might be a better fit for your current system and you can keep some money in your pocket...