Sign in to follow this  
Jasontoz09

New Nvidia and ArmA problems

Hi Guys,

I need some help solving a problem with ArmA. In prep for ArmA2 release I recently purchased a new computer but am having problems getting normal ArmA to run.

New system specs:

Intel i7 920 CPU 2.67Mhz 8mb

GA EX58-UD4 Motherboard Intel X58 Chipset

3G DDR 3 1600 MHz

NVIDIA GTX 260 896MB AMP2! PCIE

Windows® Vista™ Home Premium SP1

I am running the latest version of ArmA QG patches.

I am running 32bit Vista SP1 and DirectX 10.

I have downloaded the latest nvidia drivers.

I have loaded and reloaded ArmA.

I have used the directx diag and found no problems

I have tested cables = ok, monitor = ok

I have run ArmA ok on another computer with 32bit Vista Sp1 with directX 10 with no problems.

I have attached 2 screenshots.

I would appreciate any assitance you can provide.

Thanks!

Jason.

Arma%20Screenshot.jpg

Arma%20Picture%20Problems%202.jpg

we cant see the pic please change the host or use something else to describe the problem.. like words

Also, is this problem specific to ArmA, or does it happen with other games?

"I have run ArmA ok on another computer with 32bit Vista Sp1 with directX 10 with no problems."

DX10 doesnt matter , and what are the specs for the "other" computer?

Well, the specs for the other computer are hardly relevant if it works wink_o.gif

it might just be me but i thought ARMA didn't like 3GB of RAM :s

Might be worth running it in XP compatability mode. You never know, has worked for me with some games.

Thanks everyone for your responses so far.

jackass888: New links for images given by last attempt did not work:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/249ea329825629

http://www.imagebam.com/image/447af029825630

image 1 click

image 2 click

STALKERGB: how do you run XP compatibility mode?

kklownboy: other laptop specs are:

Intel Core 2 Due T7100 @ 1.80 GHz

2 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

Vista 32 SP1

Thanks all for your time and assistance.

Try running in windowed mode to see if it helps anything.

Add -window to the arma shortcut's parameters.

ch_123: I have not tested other games although have tested using Google earth in both OpenGL and DirectX mode with no problems. Is this a satisfactory test or do you still think it is worth trying another game. If so what do you recommend. What do you expect I would do with the outcome of that test?

sickboy:thanks. I have also tested a number of settings in the startup profile including windowed mode, maxmem (512 and 384), and some x and y resolution settings (1920 and 1200) I think. Great idea though. Any others?

I wouldn't use the maxmem command at all.

Are you using any specific setting on VGA driver level? Maybe start out with resetting those to default if so.

Also to test direct x i would simply download 3dmark 2006 and have that run a couple of times.

Starting it with -window allso is a very good idea.

Did you copy over your profile from another pc or did you do a clean install?

Does anyone else have comparable hardware/problems?

are you using 1.15beta patch? if not you may want to try.. it has fixed some memory issues

ch_123: I have not tested other games although  have tested using Google earth in both OpenGL and DirectX mode with no problems.  Is this a satisfactory test or do you still think it is worth trying another game.  If so what do you recommend.  What do you expect I would do with the outcome of that test?

Mhmm, I'd give it a shot. If it's affecting other games, then it could be a hardware problem.

I've never heard of the 3GB problem. Does anyone know whether it is just specific to 3GB or is it 3GB and up? I run ArmA with on a PC with 4GB of RAM all the time without problems. I also used it on a computer that had 3GB at the time and I dont remember any problems. If it doesnt like exactly 3GB for some reason, you can always remove some of the RAM and test it with 2GB only.

Quote[/b] ]I am running the latest version of ArmA QG patches

Did you installed any new Patches? Or just the patch, that came with the Addon QG (delivered with 1.12?)? Because for more than 2 GB of Memory you will need Patch 1.14 (Beta-Update to 1.15 would be good too).

Your problem looks like the Problem i had with 4Gb of Memory before the 1.14 Patch. You can test this, if you would reduce memory of your computer to 2Gb. Im pretty sure, it will fix your problem (if you are below 1.14).

Sorry for my english.

Best regards

MAG

Looks like a hardware problem with graphics card onboard memory. Please inform us, how your NV260 works in other games. Also you can use FurMark for testing purposes.

Problem solved.

Firstly, thank you all for your time and effort into thinking about how to solve this problem and posting your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Solution: Install the ArmA 1.08 to 1.14 patch.

So when I said in my initial problem definition that I had installed the patches, what I really meant was that I haven't installed all the f***ing patches.

So in resonse I have created a new website in tribute of this cockup. Please visit me at www.bloodydickheadoftheyear.com. (not a real website).

On the positive side the game is working famously. I have turned every graphics option and draw distance right up and it is very smooth. It is completely a different gaming experience (no kidding - compare the specs).

Anyway thanks again guys:

Kudos to: -=][M.A.G][=- and jackass888 who suggested the solution (apologies to anyone I missed)

No Problem. smile_o.gif Happy to help.

I would suggest you intall the Beta Patch 1.15 too. It will create a seperate folder, so your 1.14 will be untouched.

1.15 have some fixes included. Try it, you wont loose anything and you would be up to date  whistle.gif  smile_o.gif  

Have fun. Give a little feedback about your GTX-260... I think some people here would be realy interested in some feedback. I hope i can assemble my PC tonight... So i can try out my new GTX-285 smile_o.gif  inlove.gif

Best regards from Switzerland

Well, with regard to the GTX 260 it is very nice...

I have been running ArmA with EVERYTHING turned up to its highest setting: resolution, draw distance, advanced graphics features etc. I am running FRAPS in the background and I the game is running around 50-65 frames per second. It is smooth, transitions between viewing modes is instant ,switching between maps and back is very fast. It is like I have a new game. It is even faster running the nograss mods.

My i7 processors is hardly breaking a sweat. It is operating at about 14% on average.

So in short, very happy with the combination of the new processor and GTX260.

Good luck with the GTX285.

Thanks again.

The same goes for me.

I also just bought a new computer.

Core i7 920 processor

6 gigabyte triplechannel ram

Nvidia GTX280

All ingame settings are set to maximum (very high) and the game works like a charm. Very fluent transitions between all viewmodes. I can turn around like crazy and the game won't slow down!